Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Classic Pistol - Southhampton +1

Stopped in over the weekend and walked out with my first Ruger Blackhawk.
    This was my first visit and it was a great experience. Staff were courteous and helpful.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Classic Pistol - Southhampton +1

I just ran up there and bought a pistol there yesterday. I had my reservations about buying from them because of past experiences while shopping around before. The people working there were all pleasant and helping everyone there in a timely manner. I did like that I was able to look around the cases without a salesman bugging me until I was ready to ask for help. I checked out 5 or 6 different pistols and even had him show the same gun twice just for comparison. The salesman was was very helpful and patient with me. From the guns I was looking at (all 1911s) they had prices that were fair and a lot that were cheaper than Tanners, which seems to be everyone's favorite place out that way. I'd go back and buy from CP again.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Bucks County)

I really like this range, albeit they can be busy at times. Overall the staff has been fine, but I find they are not very proactive on the sales sides of things. In the two times that I was shopping for a new gun, I had to initiate the discussion. I know there is a balance with sales you don't want to be pushy but a simple "Can I help you with anything?" isn't so hard to do. I am just hoping this is an isolated thing, I'm just curious if it is just me? The only other shop I've visited in the area is Tanner's and that was a more welcoming and engaging experience.

I really want to support these guys....thoughts?

(Montgomery County)

That seems to be their style towards the customers. They seem to like to wait and see if you ask for help first. I like it that way myself. I want to see what is there first, I know pretty much what I'm looking for when I go into a shop, I'll let them know when I'm ready. As long as they are readily available when I have a question, I see no problem with salesmen standing back. The guys at Tanner's are more about the customer but they also are more likely to push firearms that they have on sale also. SO you just have to take the good with the (not so) bad sometimes.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Bucks County)

Owner has always run a great ship.

Employees have made the place nice and safe.

Just ask if you want something.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the replies and thanks for confirming my experience and the store's culture. I've spoken with Bob on the phone a few times and truly seems like a great guy. I will be sure to be more assertive when ready next time.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Pilot View Post
    I really like this range, albeit they can be busy at times. Overall the staff has been fine, but I find they are not very proactive on the sales sides of things. In the two times that I was shopping for a new gun, I had to initiate the discussion. I know there is a balance with sales you don't want to be pushy but a simple "Can I help you with anything?" isn't so hard to do. I am just hoping this is an isolated thing, I'm just curious if it is just me? The only other shop I've visited in the area is Tanner's and that was a more welcoming and engaging experience.

I really want to support these guys....thoughts?
    I've seen it both ways there at CP. I've dont live so far from them and they are one of the two ranges most convenient to me. On my first visits I felt like I was indifferently served, almost like I was an inconvenient bother, I've also seen it done to others. I found I had to ask myself why am I going here instead of elsewhere.

As a customer, when staff is moving about looking as if they might be engaged in their individual tasks one cannot just march up to the case and holler, "let me see this pistol"! It's natural to wait until a member of staff asks who's next or asks you directly if you want to see something. Sometimes, folk that just walk in the door, wait almost no time at all and get served while you have been standing patiently waiting to be served for 25-minutes, but you explain it away because you truly dont know if you were purposefully overlooked or if it was nothing at all to take personally, after all, why would it be 'personal', right? I've experienced and observed being 'talked at' as opposed to 'spoken with' during the purchasing process, and was left wondering if I wore the wrong cologne or neglected to 'pop a mint' on this visit. I'm not one to read too much into things, or I try not to, but. . . There can be a distinct awkwardness in how one feels standing about when they dont know if there is a deliberate indifference to customer service. It happend enough in my personal experience that with the great shops we have about, I do tend not to go there as much unless it's an item I want right now and the other shops dont have it or if CP's price is one that cannot be ignored. I've had a few visits where after signing the credit card slip and being handed the product I think, "gosh, they really could give zero f*c*s!". The visit to pick up some coveted shiny piece was not a fun excursion, it decidedly felt more like a chore.

Initally I would float between most of the local shops to "do my part" with local patronage and to try and make myself familiar enough to all by my presence to have positive purchasing experiences. My patronage didnt seem to leave an impression here or change the ambiguities of my experience. I figure I'm just too damned ugly.

I try to keep an open mind, and my experience is one balanced with visits where people, especially some obviously new and timid customers are in there trying to buy their first firearm. I vividly remember my first time not so many years ago. The first time can be totally intimidating. Imagine, a newbies first visit to a gunshop, not growing up being around firearms and the strangeness of asking for a firearm to be handed to you so that you can handle it and look at it. Those that grow up shooting and were raised shooting at their fathers/grandfathers knee from a young tyke might not appreciate it, but those that came from the opposite side of the spectrum find this daunting, and many of us have our own experiences and stories of some gunshop somewhere with the rude know-it-all @$$#0!e behind the counter. So when I see staff at a gunshop take time, care, patience, courtesy and attention to someone new, I smile on the inside and they score point with me. I've seen Classic Pistol staff do this also. That and I have also had pleasant fuss free experiences there also. I cant deny that.

I do think that when a customer comes in that some form of, "hello, welcome! Someone will be with you, feel free to look about in the meanwhile" or somesuch. Even just a simple, "Hello. Welcome", on its own makes one know that they even noticed that you walked in the door.

And what's the deal with not being allowed to speak on your phone while inside the store? Their house, their rules, admittedly.

This also might be old personal perspectives, and things might be very different now. Admitteldy I have not been to CP in almost a year now, so take with a grain of salt.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    I've seen it both ways there at CP. I've dont live so far from them and they are one of the two ranges most convenient to me. On my first visits I felt like I was indifferently served, almost like I was an inconvenient bother, I've also seen it done to others. I found I had to ask myself why am I going here instead of elsewhere.

As a customer, when staff is moving about looking as if they might be engaged in their individual tasks one cannot just march up to the case and holler, "let me see this pistol"! It's natural to wait until a member of staff asks who's next or asks you directly if you want to see something. Sometimes, folk that just walk in the door, wait almost no time at all and get served while you have been standing patiently waiting to be served for 25-minutes, but you explain it away because you truly dont know if you were purposefully overlooked or if it was nothing at all to take personally, after all, why would it be 'personal', right? I've experienced and observed being 'talked at' as opposed to 'spoken with' during the purchasing process, and was left wondering if I wore the wrong cologne or neglected to 'pop a mint' on this visit. I'm not one to read too much into things, or I try not to, but. . . There can be a distinct awkwardness in how one feels standing about when they dont know if there is a deliberate indifference to customer service. It happend enough in my personal experience that with the great shops we have about, I do tend not to go there as much unless it's an item I want right now and the other shops dont have it or if CP's price is one that cannot be ignored. I've had a few visits where after signing the credit card slip and being handed the product I think, "gosh, they really could give zero f*c*s!". The visit to pick up some coveted shiny piece was not a fun excursion, it decidedly felt more like a chore.

Initally I would float between most of the local shops to "do my part" with local patronage and to try and make myself familiar enough to all by my presence to have positive purchasing experiences. My patronage didnt seem to leave an impression here or change the ambiguities of my experience. I figure I'm just too damned ugly.

I try to keep an open mind, and my experience is one balanced with visits where people, especially some obviously new and timid customers are in there trying to buy their first firearm. I vividly remember my first time not so many years ago. The first time can be totally intimidating. Imagine, a newbies first visit to a gunshop, not growing up being around firearms and the strangeness of asking for a firearm to be handed to you so that you can handle it and look at it. Those that grow up shooting and were raised shooting at their fathers/grandfathers knee from a young tyke might not appreciate it, but those that came from the opposite side of the spectrum find this daunting, and many of us have our own experiences and stories of some gunshop somewhere with the rude know-it-all @$$#0!e behind the counter. So when I see staff at a gunshop take time, care, patience, courtesy and attention to someone new, I smile on the inside and they score point with me. I've seen Classic Pistol staff do this also. That and I have also had pleasant fuss free experiences there also. I cant deny that.

I do think that when a customer comes in that some form of, "hello, welcome! Someone will be with you, feel free to look about in the meanwhile" or somesuch. Even just a simple, "Hello. Welcome", on its own makes one know that they even noticed that you walked in the door.

And what's the deal with not being allowed to speak on your phone while inside the store? Their house, their rules, admittedly.

This also might be old personal perspectives, and things might be very different now. Admitteldy I have not been to CP in almost a year now, so take with a grain of salt.
    The phone rule is common in many shops. It helps prevent straw purchases, that's the theory, anyway.

(Bucks County)

I do mostly all my shooting here and like what was stated above, there have been times they seemed indifferent to customers. I only shoot there and I take all my supplies so it costs me 15 bucks. I was there once (years ago) and they were all fawning over the girl they had working behind the counter. It seemed they more interested in her tits than waiting on the customers. I spoke the owner about it too. I didnt speak to him about this incident, but about something else. I just expressed my displeasure with the experiences there. He was cool about it and I have gone there many times after with average experiences and not many below average ones.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

Anything changed under the new ownership?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast