Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Ranges/Clubs that permit (encourage?) practical shooting

So, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a happy member at BVRPC. Where my desire to run a black rifle or a pistol in a practical manner is generally tolerated. As is shooting steel. It's somewhat of a haul for me (southern butler county). 25 mins minimum.

I'm aware that PMSC is also generally permissive of such things, but it's an even further haul from me. 40-45 mins minimum.

So, I'm wondering if there is anywhere north of the city (or even further into Butler) which actually permits one to fire a rifle in controlled fire at an elevated pace or draw a pistol from a holster and do either at steel? I know folks who are members at both Northside and Millvale and who have reported such things are frowned upon (as a general rule) and there is some question about shooting non-paper targets at both (this is without the issue of the waitlist or other membership hoops at both). Mars seems to be more trap oriented than anything else.... Ambridge and Rochester sportsmen strike me as "bar first and sight in for deer season" and "trap night!" respectively.

I like all kinds of shooting (I do hunt and do grab the scattergun to blast some clays from time to time) but my current interests trend towards improving my lousy carbine-fu and practical pistol stuffs, perhaps leading to some 3-gun if I ever decide I need to make the hobby even more expensive.... And banging steel, because karma should be instant. I'm not anti-hunting/fishing, but it seems that there are a ton of "sportsmen's" clubs and very few who value "gun sports," if that makes any sense.

So, do I have any options which are closer? Or, maybe a shorter drive?

Default Re: Ranges/Clubs that permit (encourage?) practical shooting

So just read this as I'm not on this site a lot, i think I can help in you endeavor for practical shooting. Call me at 412 287 7538. My name is Ed. Thanks

I guess I missed this when you posted it back in August and by the response I guess you got your answer except for the gentleman above. I have been going through the same situation as you. Investing in modern pistol, rifles and then making the big investment in training on how to properly and effectively use those rifles sounds like an excellent thing until it's time to actually practice what you have learned. Unless you have private land you are SOL.

There are a number of clubs by me they are members only no problem with that however from what I have been told and see the rifle ranges are from sitting only at one and I believe prone and sitting at the other. You can carry your side arm but are not permitted to draw and fire, and 3-5 sec between shots out of each. This makes any kind of real world training which everyone seems to encourage absolutely useless if you cannot practice what you have learned then you will not maintain those skills. Then we come to different kind of competitive matches like 2 gun good freaking luck with that.

I have a small area on my property where I can shoot pistols with no issues at all so I can practice some things but it would be nice to be on a real range and do some real world drills and not be treated like a nightmare waiting to happen. It seems our weapons as well as their applications have evolved but gun clubs and the "rules" don't and wont which is really holding the sport back from progressing more into the mainstream. Yeah I know insurance, idiots, negligence blah blah blah.

(Washington County)

Rosedale.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

We have designed our new range for shooters that want to use their AR's and pistols as they were meant to be shot in real-world applications, from rapid-fire AR shooting, to machine guns, to quick-draw pistol shooting with electronic targets capable of timing your shooting down to 4-decimals places of a second. We are limiting range memberships to 150 for 2016.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=291068
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Butler County)

I appreciate all the feedback.

Rosedale: sounds interesting but it's a longer drive than I presently have to BVRPC.

Ditto Washington county, although your facility does sound intriguing.

Ed: I did put myself on the Evans city waiting list. Appreciate it.