Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: few questions

Default few questions

i have a License to carry
    1) do i have to surrender my weapon to a person in a Game commission officer Deputy uniform for no apparent reason, but he seen it,he was in a uniform, but never introduced himself as such.

2) does he have the right to threaten my life while he is coming for my weapon? "if you move i WILL shoot you"......?????

Then turn to my wife and almost like he was to gloat and say to her, if i tell someone to not move, and they do ,i WILL kill them,

we went on state park land with an ATV,yea i know bad me,so i made a mistake.

should of i retained my primary weapon with my back-up weapon till he produced credentials?
    WTF
    Last edited by rob06; July 29th, 2008 at 06:21 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: few questions

1) If he was in uniform, why would he have to introduce himself?

2) He would have the same authority as a police officer.

3) The statement he made wasn't a threat, although he sounds like a bozo.

4) Again, sounds like he has issues.

5) Carrying a loaded weapon (including a handgun) is illegal on an ATV, even if you have a LTC.

6) Again, is he was in uniform, what "credentials" do you want him to produce?

7) If you feel his comments were out of line, call the PGC and lodge a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by rob06 View Post
    i have a concealed weapon permit
    1) do i have to surrender my weapon to a person in a Game commission officer Deputy uniform for no apparent reason, but he seen it,he was in a uniform, but never introduced himself as such.

2) does he have the right to threaten my life while he is coming for my weapon? "if you move i WILL shoot you"......?????

Then turn to my wife and almost like he was to gloat and say to he, if i tell someone to not move and they do ,i WILL kill them,

we went on state park land with an ATV,yea i know bad me,so i made a mistake.

should of i retained my primary weapon with my back-up weapon till he produced credentials?
    WTF

Thanks for the info. Steve

(Lackawanna County)

What makes you think it was a Game Warden? Could have been DCNR, you said that you were in Park Land.

Did he ask you to give him your weapons? Did he take them?

Why is carrying on an ATV illegal? If you have a LTCF you should be ok just like in a car.

(Carbon County)

Parden my stupid sub question.

What is the difference between DCNR and a Game Warden, I thought they were essentially the same thing? Aren't both armed officers?

I understand DCNR has maint workers ans such as well that work for DCNR, but aren't all they people with green uniforms and sidearms 'Game Wardens?"

(Montgomery County)

I've heard that game wardens / conservation officers / whateveryoucallthem are not sworn law enforcement, they do not have Act 120 powers as municipal / state / sheriff officers do. To my knowledge, they only have the authority to enforce game laws, possibly state park laws. Other than that, they need to get local police involved. I've heard of a game warden giving someone a hard time not hunting related, they requested the police to respond, PSP showed up and the game warden and PSP trooper argued the whole time..

EDIT:
    Pennsylvania Statutes, Title 34 Game and Wildlife Code, §901 - Powers and Duties of Enforcement Officers
    1 Enforce all laws of this Commonwealth relating to game or wildlife and arrest any person who has violated any of the provisions of this title while in pursuit of that person immediately following the violation.
    2 Go upon any land or water outside of buildings, posted or otherwise, in the performance of the officer's duty.
    3 Serve subpoenas issued under the provisions of this title.
    4 Carry firearms or other weapons, concealed or otherwise, in the performance of the officer's duties.
    Last edited by Delco Sig; July 29th, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added Citation

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    Why is carrying on an ATV illegal? If you have a LTCF you should be ok just like in a car.
    there is a section of Title 75; Chapter 77 of the PA Code (relating to ATVs and snowmobiles) that specifically makes it illegal.

a BS law, but a law nonetheless...

from: http://www.atvsafety.gov/legislation...ylvanialaw.pdf

§ 7727. Additional limitations on operation

Except as otherwise permitted under Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall:

(1) Operate or ride in any snowmobile or ATV with any bow and arrows or with any firearm in his possession unless it is unstrung or unloaded.

(2) Drive or pursue any game or wildlife with a snowmobile or an ATV.
    ETA: it is also currently a violation 0f DCNR regulations to carry in a state park. HB1845 would, among other things, change this though. it has passed the state house (unanimously) and is currently in committee in the senate. hopefully, it will be passed by the senate and signed into law in the not-too-distant future. letters to state senators might help (hint, hint).
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; July 29th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    there is a section of Title 75; Chapter 77 of the PA Code (relating to ATVs and snowmobiles) that specifically makes it illegal.

a BS law, but a law nonetheless...

§ 7727. Additional limitations on operation

Except as otherwise permitted under Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall:

(1) Operate or ride in any snowmobile or ATV with any bow and arrows or with any firearm in his possession unless it is unstrung or unloaded.
    My firearm is always unstrung when I ride an ATV or snowmobile...so I should be OK

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    6) Again, is he was in uniform, what "credentials" do you want him to produce?
    Would you ask the same question for criminals who pose as police for traffic stops, or gangs who orchestrate home invasions?

Do you think a person could win on plain wording for that statute? (i.e. why wouldn't each clause be separated to completely eliminate ambiguity?) "Every word of law is important."

I do not think you can carry in a state park! OC or CC! ...
    "343" Never Forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast