Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Powdercote

(Monroe County)

Default Powdercote

Has anybody tried powdercoting a revolver? Just an idea have an 22 though I would try it on.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Powdercote

i did some powdercoating as part of my auto body business and imo it would work well except it does add thickness to the parts and you would have to be careful in areas where movement and tolerances are of inportance

I do think that would be a big concern. I'd go with a coating like Cerakote or Duracoat that are designed for firearms with tight tolerances.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Centre County)

Powdercoating would add a lot of thickness, as said , Cerakote or Duracoat would work a lot better. Be advised though, if you are using a dark color, the front of the cylinder will change color over time and shooting. Because of the B?C gap, the hot gases that escape will affect the coating color. As for Cerakote, it can affect the color but it will not affect the coating itself, it will remain and still protect the gun, just the color will change. If you go with a lighter color (FDE, Tan, Silver, etc.) it will still affect the color, it just not be as noticeable as a dark color would.

I do this (Cerakoting) as part of my gun repair business and have seen this happen every now and then to revolvers that are shot a lot.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member