Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Newbie - need help

Most of the commercial ranges offer training - either individual or in groups. That should be a priority for you. Going to a gun show (I presume we're talking the show at the Philadelphia Armory?) will let you see the variety of what's out there. The ordinary rules of courtesy apply - ask questions but don't interrupt a sale. There will be booths for some of the private training companies - ask questions. If you see the pickle guy, ask questions (do you know the difference between a half-sour dill pickle and a full-sour dill pickle?). Many people posting on pafoa don't like gun shows because they're crowded, people en-mass tend to smell, and there are fewer and fewer bargains. I like going to gun shows because you can pick up a wealth of information, hear stories, and just enjoy people watching. Good luck and have fun.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    Welcome to the forum. New to guns? Based on the original question, I would bet that you are not a Pennsylvania native. If that is the case, welcome to the free USA.

Either way, you picked a good place to ask your questions.

Just a couple of housekeeping notes:
    1. Unless mentioned as "F**k Dicks" or "F**k Field & Stream" (the retail store whose parent company is Dick's Sporting Goods), DO NOT mention Dick's Sporting Goods or Field & Stream. EmptyMag will not be pleased.
    2. PR = People's Republic of (as in PRNJ, PRNY, PRMD, etc).
    3. Any question regarding bringing ANY gun into any of the PR states will generally result in 214 posts that all read the same thing - DON'T.
    4. Grammar Nazis are generally always on post.
    5. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Great words of wisdom!!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by alc210 View Post
    I wanted to know if I can just go and purchase a gun and keep it in my home for safety with no license. I do not have a criminal background. I am just looking for insight on how it would work if I wanted to go buy a gun.
    There is no license necessary to buy or own a gun. However outside of a few very narrow exemptions you need a License to Carry Firearms to carry that gun in Philadelphia and anywhere in a vehicle, be it your car, a cab, SEPTA, or a scooter. If you bought a firearm there you may drive home with it, but you must go straight home with no stops.

LTCF applications for Philly, Delco, Montco, Bucks. Philly says they require fingerprints, I believe the additional administrative requirement is illegal (Philadelphia doesn't give a fuck about the law or your rights) but if you're in Philadelphia you'll have to fight them on that yourself.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by greenjohn88 View Post
    There is no license necessary to buy or own a gun. However outside of a few very narrow exemptions you need a License to Carry Firearms to carry that gun in Philadelphia and anywhere in a vehicle, be it your car, a cab, SEPTA, or a scooter. If you bought a firearm there you may drive home with it, but you must go straight home with no stops.

LTCF applications for Philly, Delco, Montco, Bucks. Philly says they require fingerprints, I believe the additional administrative requirement is illegal (Philadelphia doesn't give a fuck about the law or your rights) but if you're in Philadelphia you'll have to fight them on that yourself.
    If you need help, look up vipers stickyed thread in the open Cary subforum. He is. A Good man & extremely smart about a persons rights, carry & firearms in general ".
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by greenjohn88 View Post

Delco does not require fingerprints.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    6. Make sure to watch the bootleg fireworks video

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...83#post3061783
    Dawg that was funny, how'd I miss that one?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12