Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: out of town visitor

Have had scrapple. Grew up in hog country, Iowa. Long time ago.
    Want to thank all for replies, I called Lancaster County SO yesterday. Very helpful and courteous deputy assured me that I would be welcomed in that office, she also concurred with forum repliers that Philly PD or SO would not be the best strategy.
    Looking forward to holding a PA card. Only concern I have is checking a .45 on airline, landing at Philly Int'l, and having a packed weapon, which could be called illegal carry by somebody in a bad mood. I've had a great deal of weapon training, it's the
    legal business that alludes me and keeps changing. I might call that deputy again. Chinook are coming into the Columbia, early ones have the best fat. Haven't seen a river steelhead all summer, some of the water is over 70 degrees. Thanks from Oregon.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Traveling by air shouldn't be a problem. Lock your unloaded pistol in a lock box. I use a pistol vault like this:

Make absolutely sure the gun is unloaded. Place the ammo in a separate container designed for carrying ammo, such as a plastic ammo box or the original packaging. Put the lock box and ammo in your checked luggage.

When you get to the airport, go to the airline's counter and thell them that you have a firearm to declare. They'll have you fill out a card, and then put the card with the lock box. The ticket agent will guide you from there. For example, in Pittsburgh, they ask you to take that suitcase over to a TSA agent at another counter, and he checks the bag in. The key stays in your possession.

Call your airline or check their web site for additional information, as their procedures may vary slightly between airlines.

When you get to your destination, just pick your bag up as usual. Since you won't have your LTCF yet, just throw your suitcase in the trunk of the car with the gun packed as-is and you'll be fine.

After you've done it once, it's quite easy. Hopefully, someone will chime in if I've forgotten anything. Have a great trip, and good luck with the license!

(Butler County)

Come to think of it, traveling by air shouldn't be a problem, but traveling by car might. Without the LTCF, you can only carry the pistol in the car legally between certain destinations, as detailed below. Where are you staying? I believe you'll be OK if you go straight from the airport to your destination, if that can be considered a "vacation or recreational home or dwelling". Don't deviate from the direct route, and don't take the gun anywhere else in the car until you get your license. I don't feel qualified to comment on what constitutes a "vacation or recreational home or dwelling", but I'd guess your hotel room or grandchild's home would satisfy the requirement. (poofa legal team, please chime in!)

A License to Carry Firearms is issued to carry a firearm concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. Any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person except in his place of abode or fixed place of business without a valid and lawfully issued license commits a felony of the third degree.

A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:

8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms, or back to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer’s place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    Last edited by scruff; August 26th, 2015 at 03:00 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I always like frying some up for people who have never tried it when I have some. Most people enjoy it, especially if they don't have any preconceived biases towards it already.

Lots of grassy fields up this way.

I was thinking of this. I've seen signs for it when I've been up that way, but never flew in there.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/P96

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I was thinking of this. I've seen signs for it when I've been up that way, but never flew in there.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/P96
    Got it now. I used to know one or two local guys that flew out of there. One still does I believe. It's still up and running as far as I know. Most people I know who fly where ex-piper guys and flew out of lock haven. I belonged to a hunting camp with a bunch of them, most are my dad's age or older now, so I don't know how much they actually fly anymore.

(Lancaster County)

If you come to Lancaster, you can park near the corner of Orange and Duke before you cross Duke street. Normally there's open spaces on the right side near the church. Feed the meter 2 quarters and walk down towards Duke Street, cross Duke and turn right and cross Orange, and go straight to the revolving doors on Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespey View Post
    Have had scrapple. Grew up in hog country, Iowa. Long time ago.
    Want to thank all for replies, I called Lancaster County SO yesterday. Very helpful and courteous deputy assured me that I would be welcomed in that office, she also concurred with forum repliers that Philly PD or SO would not be the best strategy.
    Looking forward to holding a PA card. Only concern I have is checking a .45 on airline, landing at Philly Int'l, and having a packed weapon, which could be called illegal carry by somebody in a bad mood. I've had a great deal of weapon training, it's the
    legal business that alludes me and keeps changing. I might call that deputy again. Chinook are coming into the Columbia, early ones have the best fat. Haven't seen a river steelhead all summer, some of the water is over 70 degrees. Thanks from Oregon.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Can't the OP use his current permit to lawfully carry or transport his gun while in a motor vehicle?

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (b) Exceptions.-The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle which, person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

He would have to stow his gun or OC otherwise (not in Philly).

In theory the OP could fly in, and transport his gun as he feels comfortable then go to Lancaster and walk out with his ltcf.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Can't the OP use his current permit to lawfully carry or transport his gun while in a motor vehicle?

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle which, person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

In theory the OP could fly in, and transport his gun as he feels comfortable then go to Lancaster and walk out with his ltcf.
    I believe you are correct, since the op isn't a PA resident he should be good to transport on any license.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I always like frying some up for people who have never tried it when I have some. Most people enjoy it, especially if they don't have any preconceived biases towards it already.

Lots of grassy fields up this way.
    LOL... meaning you don't tell them we have a use for the eyelids, nostrils, and floor sweepings.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

That's an interesting loophole. You're right - it seems to say that reciprocity isn't required for vehicle carry. Not sure if the OP would enjoy being a test case, though!

edit: I posted the question in a separate thread, since this may be of interest to many people. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=288392
    Last edited by scruff; August 26th, 2015 at 12:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast