Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: A few muzzleloader questions.

I hunt with through the Upland season with a flint gun, a 16 gauge fowler. I swab the barrel between shots with a patch moistened with 100% alcohol. I carry a small tin full of these in my possibles bag.
    Cleaning....warm soapy water works just fine. Moose milk also is a traditional cleaner (1/4 cup of a water soluble oil - a cutting oil works, though lots of shooters use Ballistol - a capful of liquid dish detergent, water three cups. Mix, put it in a spray bottle. There are as many other recipes for MM as there are shooters who use it. Basically anything with water as the main component will do.).
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    I guess I am backwards.
    After every 2nd shot , I dry patch and then patch with bore butter but that patch does not have bore butter hanging off it , I rub it into the entire patch well. Or else I would follow with a 3rd patch thats dry.
    That way the 1st patch doesn't mix all that gunk with the bore butter and yet I still pull a lot out on the dry patch

Then after about every 10th to 12th rd fired I will patch with T/C bore cleaner , drink a little coffee and dry patch then bore butter patch.

I supposed it all depends on what you want to achieve or need to achieve for your particular rifle so you can continue shooting. Typically, the goal is to quickly remove just enough of the fouling to permit another 4-5 shots. However that is accomplish is up to the shooter.
    Toujours pręt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I supposed it all depends on what you want to achieve or need to achieve for your particular rifle so you can continue shooting. Typically, the goal is to quickly remove just enough of the fouling to permit another 4-5 shots. However that is accomplish is up to the shooter.
    No doubt. My system works well for me and have not had to pull a ball in many years.
    I'll be sticking to it.

(Carbon County)

DR.Steel PM me please

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Steel View Post
    I just purchased a Pedersoli Blue Ridge percussion rifle in .50. And I can't seem to find definite answers anywhere on certain matters like:

Can break cleaner be used to clean the powder residue?

Can I use a light weight motor oil to lube the barrel?

How often do I need to clean the fouling in between shots?

Pedersoli says to just use round ball but I'm seeing people have used sabot slugs and have increased accuracy. Has anyone else used sabots without a problem?

The powder charge Pedersoli recomends is 90 grains but the jar of Triple 7 FFG says 100 grains. Is it safe to use the 100 grains.

And anything else you black powder gurus can offer is appreciated.

I am looking to hunt with this rifle. As well as have an impressive piece for the wall. Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123