Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Do I really need (want) a Glock 29?

I'm looking at getting a Glock 29, I want it primarily to carry during the winter and while hunting. I've fired a few guns chambered for the 10mm, and I must say that I'm a fan. The only reason I am hesitant is that I'm worried about ammo availability, not necessarily now, but maybe 10-15 years from now. I have some handloading experience, but don't currently own a press. I'm not really worried about the cost of ammo because this will primarily be a carry gun, and I don't plan on having many extended range sessions with it.

Just looking for some opinions on the gun and 10mm in general.

Thanks for any input!

Default Re: Do I really need (want) a Glock 29?

I wouldn't worry about 10mm availability. It's getting more and more popular, and the folks numbers that carry a 10mm Glock in the woods are also growing. It's a good defensive round for two and four legged critters. I'm getting ready to trade out a G41 for a G40, for the woods. Not so much 'cause the 41 doesn't work, but I want that LS 10mm....oh yea.

I'm not keen on shooting animals with a pistol unless you get a good shot and drop it where it is, but this fairly large boar took a 10mm to the gut and exited behind the shoulder on an off camber shot, and it dropped after about an 80 yd run, with one shot.

Last edited by harold63; August 20th, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Perry County)

IMO 10mm has survived the period where it could have become obsolete. I believe it will continue to be popular as a niche caliber. It's very good as a semi-auto handgun hunting round. A lot of folks like the power it offers in a self defense handgun. It's pleasant to shoot with the cheap loads as they're not loaded any hotter than .40.

I'm a big 10mm fan. And you have to love the power.

10mm-1.jpg
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    IMO 10mm has survived the period where it could have become obsolete.
    That display is kinda funny where everything looks like a hand grenade and the 10mm looks like a Tomahawk missile.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by harold63 View Post
    That display is kinda funny where everything looks like a hand grenade and the 10mm looks like a Tomahawk missile.
    It's been around for awhile. I always bring it up when someone is talking 10mm. Once in awhile, someone wants to know if it's real. I'm always torn between my dickish self and my better self when I answer.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

The 10mm looks like a mushroom cloud from a nuclear device !

(Centre County)

Another thing, can I expect true 10mm performance out of the standard Glock 29 barrel? I've already found a Lone Wolf drop in 4.6'' barrel for it, so I could get a longer barrel if need be. Most of the time I'm all about concealment, but the more reading I do, the more I want a full size gun to take advantage of everything the 10mm has to offer.

Damn it, why is picking a new gun so hard?

(Lancaster County)

10mm FTW!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuck36 View Post
    Another thing, can I expect true 10mm performance out of the standard Glock 29 barrel? I've already found a Lone Wolf drop in 4.6'' barrel for it, so I could get a longer barrel if need be. Most of the time I'm all about concealment, but the more reading I do, the more I want a full size gun to take advantage of everything the 10mm has to offer.

Damn it, why is picking a new gun so hard?
    G29 is my EDC for 3 years now, i think its the perfect mix of size and power. Do you loose anything in the short barrel....in a word no. Its still hotter then any full sized 45, 9mm or .40.
    Are there great gains by going longer , yes. But IMO the G29 and the 135 underwood load is about the perfect self defense gun for private citizens. I carry 180s in the woods, but the 135s are perfect for protection and not over penetrating and i think they are still around 1450 fps out of the short barrel. They are a little snappy and incredibly loud for a non magnum round but not unshootable if your not recoil sensative.

(Blair County)

Even thought there is one in my Avatar I would stay away from lone wolf barrels. My experiences have been negative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast