I think the legal definition of something should closley relate to the actual thing, for example in the law bound state of NJ a sling shot is a pistol by the legal definition, you need a pistol purchase premit to buy one. With the permit you can either buy a sling shot or a .45.

How often have you heard on TV he was legally drunk --- the bac used to be .08 and that was the lesser charge of driving while impared, driving while intoxicated required a reading of.12 also to get a conviction for intoxicated you had to show that a person's driving WAS impared and it was due to booze or drugs now your driving can be fine but yor bac was above some made up limit.

I am virtual non-drinker, may be one 6-pack in my whole life and can get dizzy on one beer on a hot day, I know guys who can drink a six-pack and drive better than most people do when sober.

Another example,some animal is cute so lets call it endangered w/o reguard to the fact that it's not at all endangered.

Legally blah blah blah -- come on legislators, cal it what it is, make legal definitions fit the facts.