Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus revolver

(Monroe County)

Default Taurus revolver

Just a little disappointed in some gun reviews, I own several hand guns I'm not a great shot but can hold my own getting the bullet placement ,I hear a lot of bad things about the Taurus and I very rarely hear about Ruger ,s&w , glock ext and I will admit I am a fan of Ruger I own four and I have had issues right out of the box with them along with issues from two other makes new out of the box and it just seems that a lot of issues from the major brands don't get talked about as honestly as they should.As far as Taurus goes I had a chance to fire one it was the 38 spl model 85 it was a nice shooting revolver, I took a good look at it and it seemed to be put together well.And yes my other major brand revolvers are finished and most likely have a better degree of tolerances in the final machining but my next purchase is going to be the Taurus 85.And I will give a review of what I experienced with the Taurus. Just think about Subaru ,Toyota were onethe bottom of the barrel when it came to cars and now you pay top dollar for them.

Default Re: Taurus revolver

I had a Taurus 606 in .357. Great pistol and every bit as nice as the Rugers and S&W's that I have owned.

I think you hit the nail on the head with comparing them to the Japanese car manufacturers. I think even now Taurus is being regarded better than they were even 5 years ago.

I've got a Taurus 689 (6" SS .357) and a Model 85CH (SS .38 with bobbed hammer). I've had great experience out of both. Both are early 1990s production. I've sent both back for minor factory warranty service and had excellant customer service.

I also own multiple Rugers, Smiths, NAA, Walther, Colt, Springfield, and others. The only issues I've ever had with any are the screw holding the Ruger Super Blackhawk ejector rod coming loose. Maybe I've just been lucky but the Taurus revolvers have been just as reliable as any other.

(Montgomery County)

Most of the problems I've read about Taurus have been about their pistols and not so much about their revolvers. I've personally never owned a Taurus pistol but I used to have a 7 shot 357 (forget what model) and I now have a Raging Bull 454. Both revolvers never gave me a problem and were/are fun to shoot. I have friends that have bought Taurus pistols (1911, 24/7, and Millennium) and they've all either gotten rid of the pistol or just don't shoot it any more for various reasons, from trigger sucking to slide not going back into battery position. I read somewhere or heard on a Podcast that Taurus had to be sued over most of their pistol models and now have to recall about 1 million pistols.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Montgomery County)

I've never had any issues with Taurus revolvers, but their semis are another story from my limited sampling of them. I've never had more failures than with the 3 Taurus semis I have used. I have had issues with Ruger revolvers though and there is a thread about that on the forum. Ruger fixed the problems quickly and professionally. Their customer service was superb.
    Opera Non Verba

wife shooting her Rossi 38, 2" barrel (which I believe is basically a Taurus right?)... has no problem keeping a respectable pattern at 25ft, not quite seeing the substantiation for it being considered an "expert" gun...

(Chester County)

I just picked up a Taurus 85 from Bud's Gun Shop. For $250, it's a hell of a deal. I think mine is a lot of gun for the money. I've put 100 rounds through mine so far without any problems. Single Action is nice, but double action was a little too heavy for my preference. I switched out the factory 14 lbs trigger spring for a Wolff 6.5 lbs trigger spring, and now the double action trigger pull is VERY smooth and nice. I also painted the front sight blade to blaze orange to make it easier to aim. I love mine.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

when i worked at a firearms store, taurus handguns came back with issues the most (but they have a great service and warranty), followed by bersa and finally beretta. Never had a ruger come back with problems, or a S&W or glock for that matter.
    I own s&w, glock and rugers and they have all been solid performers for years. I did own a taurus pt100 and it was also problem free.

(Cumberland County)

I won't touch a Taurus semi other than their 92 Beretta clones or 1911's. Revolvers, I own several and have never had any issues. I agree that their revolvers are generally a sound purchase - just not most of their semi's. I purchased a Taurus semi several years ago - PT145 and it was a pos - stopped going bang after 50 rounds or less I own two Taurus poly revolvers and they are amazingly accurate and reliable. Also own an old 44 special and a Rossi 357 and all have functioned perfectly. Good luck!

My experiences come from selling them as a dealer in the late 80s-early 90s. Their autos , especially their copies of the Beretta 84 and 92 are actually very good , but their revolvers , well , are junk. I had a 'NO BULLSHIT" (red circle/slash around a bull)sticker on the door with the Taurus logo.
    From loose fitting parts that look like they were made with a coarse file and barely mated properly , to springs that are either too soft , or too long (coil stack) to burrs you could shave with.
    We had so many problems that we finally refused to stock them or take them in trade. We would only order them with the understanding that if you have ANY problems with them , it was YOUR problem. YOU deal with Taurus warranty dept. YOU ship it back at YOUR expense.

I own a few dozen S&W's from 1917 to probably 1991. I wouldn't stink up my safe with a Taurus.

I would rather buy (or sell you) a police trade-in S&W (which were actually plentiful in those days) for a few bucks more than a brand new Taurus.

People would ask if a S&W was worth the extra money.

I'd ask, "Is your life?".

FWIW; the Brazillian National Police carry Smith & Wesson Model 10-10 revolvers.
    Last edited by abner13; August 20th, 2015 at 07:18 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast