Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Review of the Lucas "Slim Carry" holster

Background

Having recently upgraded my carry gun from the Kel-Tec P32 to the Kahr K9 I have been looking for a comfortable and secure holster to carry the all steel pistol. My first choice was a used Bianchi Professional 100 IWB. I found it concealed nicely, but was not as comfortable as other holsters I have tried, especially on hot, sticky days and while driving.

My brother had a custom holster made for his P-11, and after looking closely at the design concluded that it would be a perfect fit for my firearm as well. After a test fit I contacted Lucas and ordered the style I coined the “slim carry” in right hand, black, 2.75” belt.

Design

The design would best be described as a traditional “pancake” holster. It is made from good quality, stiff leather and is made without frills for those wanting a concealable CC or attractive and stealthy OC holster. After wet forming (I chose to do this myself, Lucas can also perform this step before delivery depending on firearm model) the firearm fits perfectly within the holster. Once attached to a snugged belt the leather “cinches” the firearm in place allowing for a secure fit. Re-holstering is solid and snug, and you can feel the firearm slide into place perfectly each time. Drawing is smooth, with just a little resistance. I have no problems getting a full grip before drawing and the slight forward cant allows for an easy grasp and concealment.

As an OWB holster it moves the firearm away from the body making all-day comfort possible. Most times I forget I am wearing it, something I could never say with the IWB holster and an all-steel firearm. I suspected that moving to an OWB holster would make concealing the firearm more difficult requiring me to use the Bianchi for deeper cover. I can honestly say that the Lucas holster covers identical if not better under most shirts and I have not used the Bianchi since I have purchased the “Slim Carry”. The stiffer leather and perfectly fitted belt loops also prevent the firearm from shifting making “printing” far less likely that with the clip on the Bianchi.

Comfort

This is the most comfortable holster I own (including the Serpa (paddle or belt)) and most times I forget I am wearing an all-steel firearm.

Retention

Despite not having an active retention device such as a strap or serpa lock the “Slim Carry” is a very secure design. The firearm slides in easily (and falls out easily) when the holster is loose. When tightened to a belt the front cover is pulled tight “cinching” the firearm into the holster. Drawing offers a slight resistance and an upward pull. If any lateral force is applied the firearm will not draw. As a test I unloaded the pistol and let my wife attempt to remove the pistol from behind, and from the side. In both attempts I waited till a count of 5 before offering any resistance. In both cases she was unable to remove the firearm from the holster within that time period. Without practice anyone attempting to remove the pistol will not be able to draw straight up locking the pistol in place. This makes for a secure rig. I would have no qualms about Open Carrying with the “Slim Carry” holster

Final Thoughts

Lucas makes a fantastic product. Even a simple design such as this is very well made, and functions exactly as intended, in many cases better than the well-known commercial brands. I will continue to support this local member for as long as he continues to make holsters (hopefully for a long time) and I hope you will keep him in mind for your next purchase.
    Last edited by Atomic Dog; July 29th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Review of the Lucas "Slim Carry" holster

Nice review.
    Thanks
    Koli's back from Ambler.

Hey, great write up! You guys are all too damn kind.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I think the review my brother gave of his holster also describes mine to a T. I could not have written it better myself. I am extremely happy with my Slim Carry holster and i'm sure his holsters will only get better as time goes on. If I had to purchase a perfect holster for my needs i'd be hard pressed to find one that compares to his amongst the commercial offerings. I'm just that damn pleased with it.