Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default question about glasses

I was wondering what other's do when you wear reading glasses,I'm far sighted so I need glasses to read and computer use but not needed for anything else. So the question is how do you train to shoot when I can't see the front sight to focus on I do have a LTC and do carry. thanks for any suggestions

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: question about glasses

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenL View Post
    I was wondering what other's do when you wear reading glasses,I'm far sighted so I need glasses to read and computer use but not needed for anything else. So the question is how do you train to shoot when I can't see the front sight to focus on I do have a LTC and do carry. thanks for any suggestions
    While there aren't any "elegant" solutions to presbyopia, look into Aviator style glasses (trifocals). A "medium" power bifocal in the top third of your Rx glasses.

Be careful about the upper third bifocal being ground too far into the distance vision Rx. If that happens it will affect your ability to sight a long gun with an optic however it isn't a show stopper. Your optometrist just needs to take accurate measurements.

If you don't wear Rx glasses, I think it would be relatively easy to have an optometrist fit you with "no power" glasses with a small "bifocal" ground into the upper corner of your shooting eye lens.

Here is a guy I have used to purchase a set of dedicated ESS shooting glasses. Search his website and you'll see examples of what I'm try to convey in my reply.

http://www.hansenseagleeye.info/

(Venango County)

You might find that a high viz sight would help. If that's not enough, I use stick on bi-focals from www.optx2020.com on my shooting glasses.
    I use the stick on lens on the top of my dominant eye side only. You can take the lens on and off, so with a little experimenting, you can find the 'sweet spot'. Good luck....jkm

(Allegheny County)

Is the solution needed only for practice sessions or all the time? Do you shoot with both eye's open? Are you right handed and right eye dominant? I can make several suggestions depending on your answers.
    Standing by...
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

It's when I go the range to practice,right handed but left eye dominant and no shoot with only left eye open

(Bucks County)

If shooting with only one eye open, there is no need to use the dominant eye. Close the dominant eye. 'Course, if you are only target shooting, it doesn't hurt to cross over.

Trying to talk with vision professionals who do not shoot is not as good as conversing with one who does. Suggest find one.

(Allegheny County)

OK, The simplest and cheapest solution is to buy yourself a Merit Optical Attachment. Many pistol shooters with your same issues swear by them. The device attaches to your existing glasses and has an adjustable aperture that permits you to reduce the amount of light reaching your eye. This effectively increases your focus range (what your eyes can no longer do). You'll be able to focus on your back sight, your front sight, and the target (not all at once of course).

As other have mentioned you could opt for a special prescription just for shooting. The only problem with that is that you'll be able to see the front sight clearly, but everything beyond that front sight is going to be out of focus, possibly to the point of being one big blur depending on how much + magnification is added to get the front sight in focus. If you were competing or wanted the ability to focus on your front sight while carrying, you could go to contacts and choose to go the mono-vision route by wearing a contact lens in one eye for close up and one in the other eye for distance. You're brain will combine the two and automatically choose the correct eye for the distance you need to see. I've been wearing them for about 6 years now and I love them.

BTW, if you're closing one eye to shoot, you might as well use your right eye if shooting right handed.

Merit Optical Attachment - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/978528/merit-optical-attachment-with-suction-cup?cm_mmc=pf_ci_ebay-_-pf_ci_ebay-_-pf_ci_ebay-_-pf_ci_ebay&sdc_id=eBay

Don't forget to read the reviews!

untitled.jpg
    Last edited by Hawk; August 17th, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Perry County)

My solution was Swiss Eye shooting glasses with a prescription lens insert. I wear contacts and my old eyes won't focus on iron sights. I had my optometrist grind a lens for my right eye that lets me see the sights. The insert can be easily popped out of the glasses for shooting with optics.

For a carry gun, the best I've found are these. They're like large print books in the form of sights.
    trijicon-hd-gl1010-ylw-glock_1.jpg
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

By the way....not that it's been addressed....but I have turned to removing my glasses when target shooting with scope.

(Allegheny County)

One of the drawbacks to strict adherence to many training doctrines is that they must be engaged in by people, and people are not all the same. Getting old, the first thing to go is the legs, and then the eyes. And nobody escapes.

As always, one must first decide upon his objective before looking for solutions. If one is training for personal defense, one should train wearing the glasses he will be wearing if and when trouble finds him. If one is training for competition or target shooting, then one can rely more heavily on specialized equipment.

I wear progressive bifocals. This means to get a focal point 28" out (which is where my front sight on a 1911 will be found) I have to tilt my head back, and look through the "add." Note this is harder to do with lined (non-progressive) bifocals, where one is either in the "add" or not, and there is an abrupt change when one's eye crosses the line. Nor will it satisfy those who insist upon a particular shooting posture. F--- them.

When I am doing target work, zeroing, or I am otherwise in need of a very sharp sight picture, I wear an "occupational lens." "Occupational lenses" are so named because they were originally developed for people of specific occupations which oblige them to work while looking up through the tops of their glasses. For example, an electrician installing a ceiling fixture is likely on a ladder looking up into a 4" octagonal box, and his bi-focal "add" at the bottom of his lenses is useless. Likewise a plumber crammed under a sink trying to look up at the pipes, or a painter painting a ceiling, will have his head tilted back and will be looking through the tops of his lenses (if not completely over them). Everyone over the age of 40 has experienced this problem at one time or another.

The "occupational lens" actually puts the bi-focal "add" at the top of the lens, rather than on the bottom, so when one looks up through the tops of the lenses he catches the "add." Usually these are just bi-focals made "upside down," but for shooting I had a further refinement of the idea.

I had my optometrist set the focal distance out where my front pistol sight will be (28" from my eye), rather than at "reading distance," which is much closer (18", if I recall correctly). Technically, this is no big deal. I also had the "occupational lens" put only on the right side, which is my dominant eye. This allows me to lean in and hold my head at a natural angle, and see my front sight perfectly, with minimal disruption of my binary vision when just walking around.

The drawback is that I won't be wearing the "occupational lens" during my daily activities. I make a point, therefore, of practicing with my regular glasses, and not to become too dependent on my occupational lenses. One aid I have found useful is fiber-optic front sights on my carry guns and most of my revolvers.

The fiber-optics really help get me "close," even when the front sight is not sharp and distinct. I have had more than one person tell me they are "gimmicky." F--- them too. They don't have to shoot with them.

A problem arises when carrying a rifle with a side-arm backup. The "occupational lens" doesn't work well with an optic, and I actually have to either raise my head to look under the "add" (which is functionally very bad form, much worse than with a hand gun) or look over the glasses entirely and rely on the optic to clean up the sight picture (which works okay, but still interferes with the all-important consistent cheek weld). I have elected to wear my regular glasses when shooting a rifle, and if I have to go to the hand gun just tilt my head and make do. Shooting the rifle well is more important that shooting the back-up hand gun well.

I shoot significantly more accurately with the occupational lenses, but good enough with my regular bifocals. The system is not perfect; but then neither are my eyes.

Just be very clear on which kind of shooting is most important to you, and then be sure whatever you decide to use on the square range is consistent with that paramount objective.

>