Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default I'm done with steel case ammo

I stopped using steel case in pistols years ago because of all the problems I had with it in both revolvers and semi's. But I kept buying and using it in my AR's and AK's. But today at the range was disappointing. I'm wondering if the heat might have had something to do with it. First, on my AR that I put together I got a nasty jam where I could hardly get the bolt back, but finally with force did, then the spent round would not budge - even after working pretty good with a cleaning rod to try to get it out ! Then, in my new Windham, the same thing, but this time I could not get the bolt back at all. Luckily I was near the end of the day and my daughters Colt AR muddy girl was working fine, as was my Mini 14. Once I got home and had the guns in the a/c for a while, I was able to push the spent round out of the one, and with some force, was finally able to get the bolt back then spent round out on the Windham. What a pita. Brass only for me going forward !

(Chester County)

Default Re: I'm done with steel case ammo

I only use steel cased ammo in Combloc guns. Russian SKS, AK, Makarov, P-83, etc. It goes nowhere near any of my other firearms including my AR-15. I know some have success with it in AR's, but I just won't use it in them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I only use steel cased ammo in Combloc guns. Russian SKS, AK, Makarov, P-83, etc. It goes nowhere near any of my other firearms including my AR-15. I know some have success with it in AR's, but I just won't use it in them.
    That's how I feel also. Steel case is junk. Brass expands and seals mutch better. Steel is cheaper, the only reason it's used. No ther advantage. In fact steel is hard on extractors. Dirty hot powders are used in steel to save money.

(Chester County)

Never used it and thanks to this good advice I never will...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Same here. 1000's of rounds through several AK variants and very few issues. Never tried in it an AR. Brass .223/5.56 can be had for .30/round anyway. Cheap enough for me.

(Allegheny County)

Shot tons of wolf/Tula through my Colt and Spikes and never had an issue.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I stopped using steel case in pistols years ago because of all the problems I had with it in both revolvers and semi's. But I kept buying and using it in my AR's and AK's. But today at the range was disappointing. I'm wondering if the heat might have had something to do with it. First, on my AR that I put together I got a nasty jam where I could hardly get the bolt back, but finally with force did, then the spent round would not budge - even after working pretty good with a cleaning rod to try to get it out ! Then, in my new Windham, the same thing, but this time I could not get the bolt back at all. Luckily I was near the end of the day and my daughters Colt AR muddy girl was working fine, as was my Mini 14. Once I got home and had the guns in the a/c for a while, I was able to push the spent round out of the one, and with some force, was finally able to get the bolt back then spent round out on the Windham. What a pita. Brass only for me going forward !
    What brand were you using?

Silver Bear for my Makarov has worked perfectly. I'm told that Tula, Wolf and the lacquered steel "brown bear" rounds work just as well.

(Bucks County)

The biggest issue with wolf and tula ammo is not the steel case; it is the nonexistent quality control. Tula and wolf is some of the poorest quality factory made ammunition I have EVER seen. It's rivaled in it's crapieness by the Egyptian 9mm ammo I bought 1.7 Meeeelion rounds of back in the 80's. I am quite sure that tula and wolf are loaded by isis for the American market.

It is true that steel case ammo makes your rifle or pistol work a little harder- but like everything else the devil is in the details. Firearms were mostly designed around brass ammunition. QUALITY steel case ammunition- like the Hornady training ammunition I have is excellent quality, American made ammo. The steel used in the cases is selected for that application and quality control is present.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    What brand were you using?

Silver Bear for my Makarov has worked perfectly. I'm told that Tula, Wolf and the lacquered steel "brown bear" rounds work just as well.
    I do use Silver Bear in my Mak's and no issue - not much choice in Makarov ammo Today with the AR's it was some Tula and some Wolf - different types.

(Tioga County)

Having seen what the inside of the Barnaul plant looks like, I would say do you really think a bunch of old red star communist Russian Babushkas give a crap about quality control for ammo going to us capitalist pig Americans? Ummm, no.

They take crappy steel, form it, put a crappy primer in, put some dirty powder in, seat the bullet like a drunk vodka dowsed Russian and then smear it all with lacquer or polymer, throw it in the cheapest box they can find and then send it to bargain shoppers here in the USA.

I find it's shelf life to be dubious, it's dirty and doesn't have good quality control. These days with the ammo glut you save a few pennies but I don't think it's worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast