Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question Clarification on "local" police check form

To start, YES, I am aware that the local police check is NOT technically required. I know that If I really want to stick it to the man I will go to the Norristown courthouse with just my permit application, deal with the clerks snide remarks, and wait the 45 days like a real man.

However, let's say that I *hypothetically* wanted to follow the MontCo sheriff's "preferred" method of applying and have the local police check form filled out and submitted with my LTCF. What exactly constitutes my "local" police? I live on a township border within minutes of multiple local departments.

Does it have to be the department for the township in which I reside? The department that matches up with my mailing address? My closest physical police department? These are all different police departments in my case.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Clarification on "local" police check form

Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyGent View Post
    To start, YES, I am aware that the local police check is NOT technically required. I know that If I really want to stick it to the man I will go to the Norristown courthouse with just my permit application, deal with the clerks snide remarks, and wait the 45 days like a real man.

However, let's say that I *hypothetically* wanted to follow the MontCo sheriff's "preferred" method of applying and have the local police check form filled out and submitted with my LTCF. What exactly constitutes my "local" police? I live on a township border within minutes of multiple local departments.

Does it have to be the department for the township in which I reside? The department that matches up with my mailing address? My closest physical police department? These are all different police departments in my case.
    It should be the local police department with primary jurisdiction for your location - they are the ones that would most likely know your neighborhood, any untoward police contact with you and if you have a notorious reputation. Proximity to the police departments are irrelevant.
    IANAL