Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default military concealed permit

My wife who is active duty Army stationed in Allegheny County has kept her residency in Washington state as is her right. We are looking at getting her permit to carry and are wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and know what paperwork she needs to take with her, ie. Orders, proof of address in pa...? Thanks for the help, we will be heading down later today to give it a try, I will update later.

Default Re: military concealed permit

Quote Originally Posted by Fountain View Post
    My wife who is active duty Army stationed in Allegheny County has kept her residency in Washington state as is her right. We are looking at getting her permit to carry and are wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and know what paperwork she needs to take with her, ie. Orders, proof of address in pa...? Thanks for the help, we will be heading down later today to give it a try, I will update later.
    I know in order to purchase a firearm, you only need a copy of your original orders and your military ID. For the LTCF, I would imagine it greatly depends on the sheriff. I would guess most would allow it to go though no trouble, like a non-resident permit. Or maybe they would want something with your PA address on it, like a utility bill. If i were going, i would bring 1) Military ID 2) State ID 3) original orders 4) utility bill showing PA address. That should cover just about all likely outcomes.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fountain View Post
    Does she have a WA permit? She needs it to get a PA LTCF.

Bill

I was finally able to get a hold of the Allegheny County sheriff and was inform all that is needed is her mil ID, WA state ID and copy of her orders and she will get a PA resident LTCF, since by law she is a dual resident because of her active status.
    Thanks for the input and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post

Bill
    Pa needs to issue to all legal nonresidents like Fla. Think of all the revenue that would come to the State instead of going to others.

She will still not be allowed to carry on base , perhaps even off-base while in uniform. You/she would need to contact her commands legal affairs office for the final word. The UCMJ trumps civilian law.
    Last edited by abner13; August 13th, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    She will still not be allowed to carry on base , perhaps even off-base while in uniform. You/she would need to contact her commands legal affairs office for the final word. The UCMJ trumps civilian law.
    You are correct that she will not be able to carry in uniform.... A bunch of crap if you ask me... However due to the heightened threat level she does not travel to or from work in uniform. Before she goes into the federal building she works at (not on a base) she can secure her pistol in a lock box I have installed in her vehicle.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post

Bill
    It is my understanding, and that of the Sheriff, that as a military member stationed here she can get a resident permit and PA plates for their vehicles, even though she is a WA resident.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    It is my understanding, and that of the Sheriff, that as a military member stationed here she can get a resident permit and PA plates for their vehicles, even though she is a WA resident.
    Two months have passed since last post and your reply. Odds are they figured it out.

Either way you are correct. The post saying she needs a WA permit is 100% wrong. Active duty service members who are serving in PA on PCS (permanent change of station) orders are processed the same as a state resident.

OP's wife does not need a WA permit or a PA drivers license. If she has retained her home of record as WA she likely still has her WA drivers license. This and a copy of her orders assigning her to a duty station in Pennsylvania are all that is required for a firearm purchase and/or PA LTCF. If she is here on TCS (temporary change of station) she may have problems. It all comes down to how well the local sheriffs dept knows how to read set of orders.

MT1, thanks for your response and I apologize for not posting or responding recently.i was able to get a hold of the sheriff's office who confirmed the she only needed her WA ID and PCS orders assigning her to PA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast