Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Are there any deer??

I have been hunting the dutch country all of my life, and finally expanded to Huntingdon co. a few years back. I only have access to public land, and am wondering if there any deer up there? Seems we have killed them all off down here( though the game commission would tell you otherwise). Looking for larger SGL's that are worth checking out this summer for my fall walks in the woods. Seems lately that is all I do. Any help is appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Are there any deer??

Oddly (and this is coming from a country boy) all the deer appear to be in Pittsburgh.

(Allegheny County)

Pittsburgh has some deer.

I stopped hunting deer in Tionesta after close to thirty years.

The last time I hunted there was three yrs ago. I saw 0 deer in 5 days. Not even a tail.

I pulled into my driveway and saw 6 deer (one was a 6 point-illegal in this area)

I watch them daily on the hill across the valley ( in Upper St Clair) about 5-600 yds out.

I shot a doe in Avella and one in North Fayette Twp Imperial area.

No plans to go back to "the big woods" anytime soon.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

What a shame. I guess the good old days are dead. looks like the paper and insurance companies are getting what they want, and the GC is just getting richer. What do you think a bribe to a GC official costs these days? and to think thye keep raising license fees.

(Franklin County)

I LIVE ON THE FRANKLIN COUNTY BORDER NEXT TO mARYLAND. AND I WORK IN WEST VIRGINIA. I'M LOOKING FOR A PLACE IN WEST VIRGINIA TO HUNT. TheGAME COMMISIONERS ARE BEING TOO STIFF NECKED ABOUT THEIR POLICIES. i'LL SPEND MY MONEY ELSEWHERE. i'LL MAKE MY GUN PURCHSES ELSEWHERE IF POSSIBLE.
    In God We Trust............................

(Bedford County)

Same in Bedford county. The sad thing is we only have ourselves to blame. After all it is the hunter who has pulled the trigger. We all need to band together somehow and not buy the doe tags and hunting license. I am not going to buy anything this year!

(Beaver County)

I think you guys are missing out on some real hunting. Not to be arrogant, but sometimes you got to hunt them, not just stand and wait for a herd to come by. Can you imagine the feeling you have when you shoot a deer and drag it out and everyone else says you got the only deer in the woods. at least 5 times for me. If you see sign, their there. If not, move on!

I classify PA hunters into 2 groups: hunters and sportsman. I consider my brother a sportsman and myself a hunter. You guys are starting to sound alot like sportsman. How many days a year do you find yourself hunting in subzero whether-not many- well, you may be a sportsman; Do you hunt in the rain and duing downpurs how about heavy snow conditions, if not, you may be a sportsman; do you hunt all day and not see a single deer- well, you may be a sportsman; do you think the game commission is being directed by paper and insurance companies, well-you may be a sportsman; do you think there are really no deer in the woods?; you may be a sportsman; if you only hunt deer during riffle/shotgun season, you may be a sportsman; do you go hunt in the woods to relax and only enjoy the scenery-you may be a sportsman, do you only hunt with a buddy or a group-you may be a sportsman.

I'm just saying, you folks say there are no deer in the woods, I'm saying there is. One of us is wrong. Maybe it's perspective, or maybe not.

Rol.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    I think you guys are missing out on some real hunting. Not to be arrogant, but sometimes you got to hunt them, not just stand and wait for a herd to come by. Can you imagine the feeling you have when you shoot a deer and drag it out and everyone else says you got the only deer in the woods. at least 5 times for me. If you see sign, their there. If not, move on!

I classify PA hunters into 2 groups: hunters and sportsman. I consider my brother a sportsman and myself a hunter. You guys are starting to sound alot like sportsman. How many days a year do you find yourself hunting in subzero whether-not many- well, you may be a sportsman; Do you hunt in the rain and duing downpurs how about heavy snow conditions, if not, you may be a sportsman; do you hunt all day and not see a single deer- well, you may be a sportsman; do you think the game commission is being directed by paper and insurance companies, well-you may be a sportsman; do you think there are really no deer in the woods?; you may be a sportsman; if you only hunt deer during riffle/shotgun season, you may be a sportsman; do you go hunt in the woods to relax and only enjoy the scenery-you may be a sportsman, do you only hunt with a buddy or a group-you may be a sportsman.

I'm just saying, you folks say there are no deer in the woods, I'm saying there is. One of us is wrong. Maybe it's perspective, or maybe not.

Rol.
    A LOT of truth to the Sportsman, Hunter bit.

I know here in Monroe County, I use to be a hunter but now I'm just a SHOOTER! I have so many dang deer up here that we usually fill our tags by noon the first day. Last year I came home from work and told the wife was going hunting, 10 minutes was all that lasted and I was guttin.

I know some areas of Pa. guys are complaining that they aren't seeing any but thats not the case here.. HMMM I wonder if we could transplant some?

Rich W.

(Franklin County)

I agree with the hunter part.. Some years I have allot of time to hunt. AnD usually get one or two. last year I barely had time to fall into the sportsman category. Went out for only five days and only saw a couple a great distance. SO I guess what I am saying Is the woods are of there for pleasure, the way I look at it for whatever time we have available. Getting one after a long hunting process is very rewarding. But when time is short, getting Lucky fills the freezer too.
    In God We Trust............................

(Tioga County)

Here in Tioga and Potter counties there are plenty of deer. The problem we have is more and more farmers are closeing their farms to hunters because of the slob hunters. My cousin has a farm in Potter county I hunt woodchucks there too. In the summer hardly a day goes by that I don't see 6 or 7 deer. About two to three days after the start of rifle season you can't find any. A walk down the dirt road on the south side of the property tells the tale. All the deer have fled across the road onto property that hunting is not allowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast