Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Positive open carry experience in Philly

OCed my Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro in Philly today, while going to pick up a friend and take her to run errands and such. When I arrived to pick her up, she wasn't quite ready. (I've learned never to rush a lady.) I decided to occupy my newly freed time by pacing back and forth a bit in front of her place, enjoying the breeze. I was approached by a 40-something female, coming from the bus stop. Her first statement was "Are you a cop?" I responded "No, just a law abiding citizen with a license to carry." She was very interested - considering the neighborhood (Broad and Olney station area, less than 3 blocks away) I don't blame her. We discussed CC/OC law for a few moments - I unfortunately did not have any flyers with me - and I scribbled down PAFOA's URL, along with my contact info for her, in case she decided to pursue her carry permit.

Also, later on in the evening I had a very pleasant conversation with a US military service man and fellow armed citizen. He's a friend of a friend - I need to pass him a link to PAFOA through her.

Also OCed in Center City for several hours, while the aforementioned lady friend enjoyed a beverage or two at the local bar. Walked past several police officers without any incident, beyond a friendly hello, and a few words about the weather with one officer.

All in all, a very positive experience. Sorry if this seems disjointed - it's 6am and I'm just settling in for the night.....or morning rather. Good morning to you all, I'm going to bed.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Positive open carry experience in Philly

Good job, it's nice to see that there are some open minded people out there that don't get freaked out and are curious enough to ask questions.

(Philadelphia County)

It's good to see more people OC'ing in Philly but someone is going to run into the wrong cop in the City. Until Philly is sued I don't think the attitude of the city PD or Mayor will change.

Even the Gun Permit unit thinks OC is illegal when I asked them. This is the unit that gives out the permits!!

I would also caution the OP about OC'ing and having a beer at the local bar in Philly. The Permit Office will surely revoke you under the "character" clause if you have a beer and possess a fire arm. Just my 2c. It might not hold up but you will spend time and money appealing the revocation.

Greg
    Last edited by gbrown221; July 27th, 2008 at 07:50 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KnightZero View Post
    OCed my Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro in Philly today, while going to pick up a friend and take her to run errands and such. When I arrived to pick her up, she wasn't quite ready. (I've learned never to rush a lady.) I decided to occupy my newly freed time by pacing back and forth a bit in front of her place, enjoying the breeze. I was approached by a 40-something female, coming from the bus stop. Her first statement was "Are you a cop?" I responded "No, just a law abiding citizen with a license to carry." She was very interested - considering the neighborhood (Broad and Olney station area, less than 3 blocks away) I don't blame her. We discussed CC/OC law for a few moments - I unfortunately did not have any flyers with me - and I scribbled down PAFOA's URL, along with my contact info for her, in case she decided to pursue her carry permit.

Also, later on in the evening I had a very pleasant conversation with a US military service man and fellow armed citizen. He's a friend of a friend - I need to pass him a link to PAFOA through her.

Also OCed in Center City for several hours, while the aforementioned lady friend enjoyed a beverage or two at the local bar. Walked past several police officers without any incident, beyond a friendly hello, and a few words about the weather with one officer.

All in all, a very positive experience. Sorry if this seems disjointed - it's 6am and I'm just settling in for the night.....or morning rather. Good morning to you all, I'm going to bed.
    Great report!! One suggestion I would have is to carry PAFOA cards. I have handed plenty out to curious people.

(Delaware County)

KnightZero - Good job! Was this the same lady friend that attended the dinner at TGIF on City ave?
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    I would also caution the OP about OC'ing and having a beer at the local bar in Philly. The Permit Office will surely revoke you under the "character" clause if you have a beer and possess a fire arm. Just my 2c. It might not hold up but you will spend time and money appealing the revocation.

Greg
    Actually, he said nothing about himself having any alcoholic beverages. He said "the aforementioned lady friend enjoyed a beverage or two at the local bar" and didn't even specify that they were alcoholic either. For all we know, she had two Cokes.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Actually, he said nothing about himself having any alcoholic beverages. He said "the aforementioned lady friend enjoyed a beverage or two at the local bar" and didn't even specify that they were alcoholic either. For all we know, she had two Cokes.
    not to mention that the OP is in chester county and Phillys permit office has no control of his permit.....or the fact that there are NO laws saying anything about drinking and carrying....

(Philadelphia County)

I agree that the law says nothing about drinking and carrying but the sheriff could argue that whole "character" clause to revoke your permit. I personally believe that drinking and firearms is not a good combination. I also agree that it may have been two cokes. for all i know they had ice water.

i too OC in Phila on ocassion and have had no problems yet. I think it's only a matter of time before some uneducated cop is going to have one of us in a jail cell until it is sorted out that OC is legal.

whether right or wrong , legal or illegal. what's to stop some cop from confiscating your permit.

can law enforcement confiscate your LTCF at any time?

Greg
    Last edited by gbrown221; December 9th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KnightZero View Post
    When I arrived to pick her up, she wasn't quite ready. (I've learned never to rush a lady.) I decided to occupy my newly freed time by pacing back and forth a bit in front of her place, enjoying the breeze.
    Nice, James.

People may of thought you were crazy ^^^ but seems like you made out OK.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    I agree that the law says nothing about drinking and carrying but the sheriff could argue that whole "character" clause to revoke your permit. I personally believe that drinking and firearms is not a good combination. I also agree that it may have been two cokes. for all i know they had ice water.

i too OC in Phila on ocassion and have had no problems yet. I think it's only a matter of time before some uneducated cop is going to have one of us in a jail cell until it is sorted out that OC is legal.

whether right or wrong , legal or illegal. what's to stop some cop from confiscating your permit.

can law enforcement confiscate your permit at any time?
    Greg

well...actually, no, only the issuing sheriff can revoke a permit, and must show reson for doing so....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast