Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ak-74 build

(Lackawanna County)

Default Ak-74 build

im looking for someone to show me how to build a ak 74. Can anyone in Scranton area show me how? I'm in the military and looking to gain a in depth knowledge of the weapon system.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Ak-74 build

I would be interested also. I live in Bethlehem, but can easily drive to the Scranton area.

(Luzerne County)

I have an 80% reciever, but haven't bought the rest yet.

(Clearfield County)

building an AK is nothing like building an AR, it takes tools, skill and a pinch of fairy magic/voodoo.

if you can't find a 5.45 kit with a chrome lined barrel don't even bother, it's not worth the hassle of building one without.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    building an AK is nothing like building an AR, it takes tools, skill and a pinch of fairy magic/voodoo.

if you can't find a 5.45 kit with a chrome lined barrel don't even bother, it's not worth the hassle of building one without.
    or clean, clean, clean - most 5.45 is corrosive.

(Lehigh County)

Why? Chrome lined is great for full auto, but semi-auto, you would never shoot a non chrome lined barrel enough to blow it out. Chrome lined would make cleaning easier, but not by much. I never understood why people always "need" chrome lined barrels. It's a term they hear and that's all they know. No reasoning behind it. Same with ar's, how many people on this board do you think really build full auto's? I would like to know why the hassle is using a regular barrel? What's the difference? Certainly not accuracy, there is no difference. You would not be "bothered" to builld one, why not?

(Clearfield County)

If you can't understand why a barrel far less likely to rust is desirable in a rifle that you will most likely shoot large amounts of corrosive ammo in I doubt I would be able to explain it to you. Not to mention the large number of .224 diameter "5.45" barrels floating out there.

So if chrome lining is pointless why do you suppose they did it to the m-16 in vietnam?

(Lehigh County)

If you can't understand why a barrel far less likely to rust is desirable in a rifle that you will most likely shoot large amounts of corrosive ammo in I doubt I would be able to explain it to you. Not to mention the large number of .224 diameter "5.45" barrels floating out there.

So if chrome lining is pointless why do you suppose they did it to the m-16 in vietnam?
    It's not going to rust and most battlefield rifles were not even lined. For those of you who cannot read, let me say this again, chromed lined is great for full auto's, now tell me, what do you think a m16 is? Ladies and gentlemen, here we have the example of "i heard it's good so i have to have it"
    P.S. You never answered the question, If you do, please try to do so with some intelligence, thank you.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    It's not going to rust and most battlefield rifles were not even lined. For those of you who cannot read, let me say this again, chromed lined is great for full auto's, now tell me, what do you think a m16 is? Ladies and gentlemen, here we have the example of "i heard it's good so i have to have it"
    P.S. You never answered the question, If you do, please try to do so with some intelligence, thank you.
    NON CHROME LINED BORES ARE MORE PRONE TO RUST WHEN SHOT WITH CORROSIVE AMMO. Chrome lining is for corrosion resistance.

Do tell, if chrome lining is only good for full auto's why do you suppose the soviets used it on handguns and the japs used it on BOLT ACTIONS.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    Why? Chrome lined is great for full auto, but semi-auto, you would never shoot a non chrome lined barrel enough to blow it out. Chrome lined would make cleaning easier, but not by much. I never understood why people always "need" chrome lined barrels. It's a term they hear and that's all they know. No reasoning behind it. Same with ar's, how many people on this board do you think really build full auto's? I would like to know why the hassle is using a regular barrel? What's the difference? Certainly not accuracy, there is no difference. You would not be "bothered" to builld one, why not?
    I agree Pa. I researched the different barrels before choosing one for my AR. The chrome barrels may last longer and may be a bit easier to clean but are least accurate of the regular (non-chromed) and stainless version barrels. Accuracy may not be greatly effected by the chrome lining but for me to build/assemble a rifle knowing that it won't be as accurate as it could be didn't make sense.
    In a war time situation a soldier could be in a situation where his rifle will be counted on to fire literally thousands of bullets and so if the barrel will last longer; chrome lining would be worth the slight loss in accuracy. I can see why chrome lining would be good in this situation.
    I went with a stainless barrel for accuracy and rust resistance. A lined barrel just wasn't for me. Sure it may get shot out but then I will just buy a new barrel and replace it (it's really not that hard). However it will be a long time before it will need replacing.
    I read somewhere that most civilian owned ARs are stored and not shot. I also wonder how many AR/rifle owners looked up the differences in the types of barrels and their characteristics.
    I don't make a fuss when someone chooses a chrome lined barrel. I just figure either they know what they want or don't have a clue and accept what they hear.

Sid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast