Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Long action vs short action? What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Shouldn't this be long action?
    yes.

Tomcat must be typing too fast.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    Greetings to everyone!

I hope I can get an answer I will be able to understand, as I'm not being a native english speaker.

My question is:

I own a Remington 700BDL rifle with 24 inch barell and would like to buy an additional magazine (actually order it form the US) and a weaver tactical rail. The questionare Remington sent me, ask if my rifle is a long action or a short action, and frankly I have no clue and did not recive instructions with the gun, only a short one about general use and maintenance.

The rifle uses 7 mm rem.mag ammunition.

So which magazne and rail shall I order!

Thx for the answers!

Magister

Post #2 in this thread will tell you how to check your rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    yes.

Tomcat must be typing too fast.
    Yes sir, that is a post I made a long time ago in a bit of a rush. You gentlemen are correct, lol. *forehead slap* DOH! lol, I guess it happens sometimes. Thank you for the good catch and I'll go back and fix it in the oringinal post.

Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    Greetings to everyone!

I hope I can get an answer I will be able to understand, as I'm not being a native english speaker.

My question is:

I own a Remington 700BDL rifle with 24 inch barell and would like to buy an additional magazine (actually order it form the US) and a weaver tactical rail. The questionare Remington sent me, ask if my rifle is a long action or a short action, and frankly I have no clue and did not recive instructions with the gun, only a short one about general use and maintenance.

The rifle uses 7 mm rem.mag ammunition.

So which magazne and rail shall I order!

Thx for the answers!

Magister
    Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help you out with an answer you can understand. You are using a Remington 700 LONG action, if the rifle is a 7mm Remington Magnum. It is actually a "magnum action". The magnums have a slightly larger case rim, and so the bolt face has to be slightly larger on the magnums. Either way, they are still long actions and use the same size of magazine.

I am curious as to what you mean by "buy another magazine"? Unless you have a Remington 700 BDL "DM", there is not really a "magazine" to get an extra. The DM stands for Detachable Magazine, meaning that you can drop out the magazine, but most standard BDL's have an internal magazine with a "floor plate" that hinges out. This only allows for unloading the rifle, and does not allow for a quick reload. If you do not have a DM, are you merely trying to get another magazine follower (metal part above the spring), or are you trying to get another spring? I'm just trying to figure out what part you need to ask for, so it may help you out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Yes sir, that is a post I made a long time ago in a bit of a rush.
    I didn't notice that your post was almost two years old.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Long action vs short action? What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    The difference?

One is longer than the other. [/capt. obvious]
    If I recall from my Air Force days, one is 10 bucks US, the other is 25 US. glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help you out with an answer you can understand. You are using a Remington 700 LONG action, if the rifle is a 7mm Remington Magnum. It is actually a "magnum action". The magnums have a slightly larger case rim, and so the bolt face has to be slightly larger on the magnums. Either way, they are still long actions and use the same size of magazine.

I am curious as to what you mean by "buy another magazine"? Unless you have a Remington 700 BDL "DM", there is not really a "magazine" to get an extra. The DM stands for Detachable Magazine, meaning that you can drop out the magazine, but most standard BDL's have an internal magazine with a "floor plate" that hinges out. This only allows for unloading the rifle, and does not allow for a quick reload. If you do not have a DM, are you merely trying to get another magazine follower (metal part above the spring), or are you trying to get another spring? I'm just trying to figure out what part you need to ask for, so it may help you out.
    Thx for the answer! This cleared things out! Sorry, about the "buy a magazine " thing My gun is a "DM", so I'm trying to buy a new magazine for it (to be a proud owner of two).

Again thank you for the answer! It really helped me out!

Magister

The "long and short" of it is a simple answer. If the cartridge is a .300 win mag the overall length requires a "longer" bolt throw to extract the longer cartridge the .223 uses the short action. It's just that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Tomcat
    Let me get this right, if I own a 270wsm (short action) I can shoot that 270wsm in a 270 win long action? Reading your second post thats what it sounds like. If I`m reading it wrong so sorry.

Qtrborecrazy
    You may use a long action with a short magnum, as long as the rifle is chambered for it. The action doesn't determine the cartridge, it on determines what length cartridge you may use.
    For instance, you don't want to build a 270 Winchester on a 270 Winchester short magnum action.
    The short actions are designed for short cartriges and are not as "springy" as the long actions, and save weight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123