Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shipping long guns in-state via USPS

I tried shipping a long gun in-state via UPS and the UPS store refused the shipment, saying it's illegal (it's not). I learned that apparently both UPS and Fedex refuse firearms shipments from individuals now, unless it's going back for repair to a manufacturer.

I then tried the inner city post office in Pittsburgh near my work. The incompetent clerks and even the postmaster told me that the rifle needed to be "fully disassembled". I said ok sure, but the rules only say it has to be unloaded. Then they said I needed a form. I explained to them that's only if I'm a licensed dealer. I pulled up the actual rules stating USPS policies (http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_001.htm) for shipping long guns and showed it to them. They looked at it, and finally the postmaster woman just said "well I'm not going to do it", then singled me out for holding up the line. Bottom line is they don't even know their own policies, but they just don't want to do it and aren't interested in learning about either their own policies or the law.

Well, I finally drove out to a post office a bit out in the suburbs. I explained to the staff there I wanted to ship an unloaded long gun in state. The lady went to a color flow chart and verified it's ok, then processed it for me. The flow chart even had different colors and graphics showing a long gun, handgun, etc. In and out in under 2 minutes.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Shipping long guns in-state via USPS

Quote Originally Posted by dartariously View Post
    I tried shipping a long gun in-state via UPS and the UPS store refused the shipment, saying it's illegal (it's not). I learned that apparently both UPS and Fedex refuse firearms shipments from individuals now, unless it's going back for repair to a manufacturer.

I then tried the inner city post office in Pittsburgh near my work. The incompetent clerks and even the postmaster told me that the rifle needed to be "fully disassembled". I said ok sure, but the rules only say it has to be unloaded. Then they said I needed a form. I explained to them that's only if I'm a licensed dealer. I pulled up the actual rules stating USPS policies (http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_001.htm) for shipping long guns and showed it to them. They looked at it, and finally the postmaster woman just said "well I'm not going to do it", then singled me out for holding up the line. Bottom line is they don't even know their own policies, but they just don't want to do it and aren't interested in learning about either their own policies or the law.

Well, I finally drove out to a post office a bit out in the suburbs. I explained to the staff there I wanted to ship an unloaded long gun in state. The lady went to a color flow chart and verified it's ok, then processed it for me. The flow chart even had different colors and graphics showing a long gun, handgun, etc. In and out in under 2 minutes.
    Just to clarify: UPS/FedEx will take shipments from/to individuals PROVIDED there is an FFL on one end (sending or receiving) of the shipment.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...61#post3102461
    IANAL

OP, you should file a complaint with the usps against the woman that wouldn't do her tax payer funded job.

(Berks County)

^Agreed.

Mileage seems to vary in different locales. I know the UPS stores will NOT accept rifles for shipment, but the 'hubs' will. I've shipped only one rifle back to the manufacturer via UPS with a prepaid label. I told the clerk it was a rifle going back for repair. She just casually said 'OK' and put it on the conveyor.

I once asked at my local post office and the clerk there seemed ok with shipping a rifle. It is frustrating that they don't know, or just won't follow, their own regs.

Is that federal law or regulation being broken if you take a rifle or handgun into the P.O. to ship?

usps158.jpg

UPS will ship a firearm or ammunition if you go to their HUB the UPS stores are independently owned and operated and they are not allowed to accept the shipment. USPS will ship all unloaded long guns there is absolutely no reason to tell either USPS or UPS what you are shipping the boxes are not labeled on firearms for safety reasons. I have shipped dozens of firearms to both 01 and 03 FFL's and cases of ammunition which have to be labeled with ORM-D stickers both while I was living in NJ as well as PA.

With UPS you can also open an account box and print your labels at home and call for a pick up or just hand it too the driver the next time he is at your home.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Is that federal law or regulation being broken if you take a rifle or handgun into the P.O. to ship?

usps158.jpg
    Absolutely not as long as it's unloaded and boxed however only 01 FFL holders can ship pistols and they have to go 2 day or over night.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post

usps158.jpg
    18 USC 930 does have a "lawful purpose" exception:

930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to-

(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
    (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Similarly, 39 CFR 232.1(l): provides:

(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
    IANAL