Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Help Me Pick Out A Pistol

I just got my license recently, and I've been going to a couple of different gun stores, looking at different guns, trying to figure out what to get. I didn't think it would be this hard or confusing, LOL. There's a whole lot to choose from.

First, do a get a revolver or an automatic? I notice the revolver section isn't quite as varied as the automatics. Is this because there aren't as many to choose from, or are revolvers just less popular? I looked at a couple, and the Ruger 101caught my eye, but it's a little heavy.

So far, I've narrowed it down to a Springfield XDs, a SW Shield, a Kel tec PF9, and a Bersa. After reading up on calibers, I think I'm gonna stick with 9mm, to keep costs down, and less recoil and stuff. So, of any of you have any if these guns, and especially if you have more than one, I'd appreciate your opinions.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Help Me Pick Out A Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Mag View Post
    So far, I've narrowed it down to a Springfield XDs, a SW Shield, a Kel tec PF9, and a Bersa. After reading up on calibers, I think I'm gonna stick with 9mm, to keep costs down, and less recoil and stuff. So, of any of you have any if these guns, and especially if you have more than one, I'd appreciate your opinions.
    I have an XDs in .45 along with the list in my signature. It's highly concealable and a large caliber in a small package, but I can't say I'd recommend it as a first gun.

I'd highly suggest going to a gun range that lets you rent, and try out several. You should also consider possibly going to a few different ranges too, because you'll find that certain ranges will suggest their own "favorite" brands over others, but you should try all of them. Find something that is comfortable to hold, you can shoot well, and is within your budget.

Lastly, I strongly recommend having more than one if you're looking to carry a subcompact. You should always practice with what you carry, but your subcompacts are generally not the type that you are going to go out and shoot a few hundred rounds (unless you're talking about one of the larger ones - I could shoot my P2000SK all day).
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

If you are referring to the Bersa BP9, that would be my pick, best trigger out of the box compared to every other single stack 9 & you will probably shoot it better than both the XDs + PF9. I like my friend's XDs but I can't say I am a fan of grip safetys. They are also expensive but Springfield throws in some extras. PF9, they are a pleasure to carry but painful to shoot & you will most likely have to deal with keltec customer service at some point.

(Huntingdon County)

What are you primarily going to be using this pistol for? Are you going to CC with it, OC daily, or just take it to the range here and there?

You save weight with the Semi autos and gain mag capacity but I would go with whatever feels better in your hand. When you pick up a pistol and get the "oh YEA" feeling I'd go with that one
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

Oh I'm definitely going to be carrying concealed.

(Philadelphia County)

I think you're on the right track. Of this list you mention I've fire the sp101 which was a bastard in .357 and expensive still using .38. I've owned the shield and it was wonderful in every way and I only sold it because I became obsessed with the glock 43 and I sold the shield to a friend who needed his first firearm. The recoil was manageable and it was always reliable.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Huntingdon County)

Have you looked at the Beretta px4 storm? It's a good little 9mm
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

I vote for the XD.

I have a Bersa in 380 and love it, so if your budget is lower, not a bad choice.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

I just got my license recently, and I've been going to a couple of different gun stores, looking at different guns, trying to figure out what to get. I didn't think it would be this hard or confusing, LOL. There's a whole lot to choose from.

First, do a get a revolver or an automatic? I notice the revolver section isn't quite as varied as the automatics. Is this because there aren't as many to choose from, or are revolvers just less popular? I looked at a couple, and the Ruger 101caught my eye, but it's a little heavy.

Oh I'm definitely going to be carrying concealed.
    If you have one firearm that you will want for carry I would go with one of the single stack 9mm you have suggested. These will be comfortable to carry but easy and enjoyable to shoot at the range to practice with.

I really like my sub compact Ruger LCP for CC, but its not fun to shoot due to the felt reciol of such a small firearm. The Kahr CW9 (a firearm you should also add to you list) while bigger is in 9mm and is much more enjoyable to shoot at the range.

I personally don't think Kel tec has the reputation that Springfirled of S&W have. What model Bersa are you looking at? As I said before I would look at the Kahr CW9.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

I did look at a Kahr, but it didn't feel that great to me. I picked up all the others I mentioned, that's why I listed them. I'm going to another store in a couple of days to check out some others.

The price isn't so much of a big deal to me, but there were a couple that I looked at that I thought were a little ridiculous. I picked up a small Kimber, that was a 9mm, and loved it right away, but I'm not paying a G for one, LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast