Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Exclamation Warning to S&W Shield Owners

I just wanted to let Shield owners out there know about a potentially life-threatening issue. I utilized a S&W Shield in a defensive shooting match recently, and after the first stage, began to experience major malfunctions (after ~500 issue-free rounds after purchase new from the factory). After a very frustrating day, I came to realize later that my issues stemmed from the insertion of the 8 rd. extended magazine without the grip sleeve. Inserting the 8 rounder without the grip sleeve enabled the magazine to contact the ejector. Coupled with my error in thinking I was inserting a 7-rounder, I bent the ejector upward, causing a whole host of issues.

After reading a comment on an article about this very issue, I took the risk and attempted to straighten the ejector out myself before deciding to send it in. It seems to have worked (it looks straight as an arrow), and I am going to take it out to test fire. The tolerances are very tight in this area of the pistol, and it took only a couple millimeters of bend in the ejector to render the pistol barely usable in a defensive situation.

My advice? Either forget about the 8-rounder, or leave the sleeve on. Many have instructed Shield owners to remove the sleeve to avoid difficulty in inserting the magazine during a stressful situation. The advice seemed sensible to me, and I hate having loose accessories hanging around, so I removed it. The rub came in not paying complete attention to which magazine I was inserting (in a stressful situation), and hammering on the base plate when the magazine wouldn't fit flush. You know the rest of the story. YMMV, but don't underestimate the power of stress and muscle memory. Other than this potential issue, the Shield is definitely StingyGunner approved!
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Warning to S&W Shield Owners

I was also told to remove the plastic piece from the 8 round mag. Your story makes perfect sense...thanks for sharing....

To the OP and anyone else that cares to listen...NEVER..NEVER perform a "Rube Goldberg modification" on your firearm or magazine. LEAVE IT STOCK. If alterations are in order use those that, are developed and marketed by the OEM or aftermarket supplier.

The Keyboard commandos who recommended removal of the grip spacer "to assist in stressful encounters" should be drawn and quartered.

Rant Over

(Elk County)

I sold the 8 rd mag and stocked up on 7 rd mags once I saw how readily the sleeve slipped on the 8 rd mag. With all 7 rd mags, I don't have to wonder how many I have - 7.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Who Is saying to remove the spacer? You carry with the 8 and the extras are the 7s or you just use 8s at the range. I never got the message to remove it, I'm always the last to know. Good caution post.

(Elk County)

Carry with the 8 kinda defeats the purpose of the small profile of the Shield - it can print more readily.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

If I am wearing tighter clothes I put in the 7 rounder. But there are times I like to carry the larger mag. Not just for the extra round but because I get a better purchase on the gun.

(Montgomery County)

I fixed my Shield issues by purchasing a G43. It actually fits in my pocket thanks to holding 1 less round. The Taran base pads look like it'll give me back the capacity and keep the profile, so I've got some on order.

(Montgomery County)

I can fit my Shield in my pocket but with a very small holster...and even that is a bit tight...I did not think the G43 was that much smaller...in fact I recall putting a G42 in my pocket at my local shop to see how it felt and it was not much better than the shield...that said, my brother in law carries a gun the size of a G19 in his pockets...but he is a pretty big guy :-). I guess it depends on your body build....

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Carry with the 8 kinda defeats the purpose of the small profile of the Shield - it can print more readily.

Noah
    I carry with the 8's OWB in the winter. Under a coat it doesn't matter much. Otherwise I carry with the 7's IWB. However, I'm thinking of a pinky extension for the 7's, maybe filed down a bit. I love the feel of the 8's at the range, but the spacer never bothered me.
    My goal in Life is to become the kind of problem that people throw money at.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast