Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pa. Renewal Question

My LTCF from Pa. is up on 9/14/2015 and I was going to apply online. Now I see that is not necessary, as I can go right down and get it taken care of the same day. (Way to go, Mullen.) My question is, under the old system, you could apply not more that so many days before applying for a renewal. Is there any such time frame now?? Thanks in advance. I tried to call down there, but all I got was the recording.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Chester County)

Default Re: Pa. Renewal Question

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    My LTCF from Pa. is up on 9/14/2015 and I was going to apply online. Now I see that is not necessary, as I can go right down and get it taken care of the same day. (Way to go, Mullen.) My question is, under the old system, you could apply not more that so many days before applying for a renewal. Is there any such time frame now?? Thanks in advance. I tried to call down there, but all I got was the recording.
    From a statutory perspective, there is no prescribed time period. That is not to say that individual sheriff's may not have established an "office policy" otherwise.

You should have received a renewal letter before 7/14 - what did it say?

I should think that, at the very least, once you receive the renewal letter or within 60 days of expiry would be within their "policy".

Note to keyboard commandos: yeah - I know that the statutes do not specifically give the sheriff's the authority to set a renewal period policy but my response was meant to be pragmatic.
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 30th, 2015 at 10:01 AM.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    From a statutory perspective, there is no prescribed time period. That is not to say that individual sheriff's may not have established an "office policy" otherwise.

You should have received a renewal letter before 7/14 - what did it say?

I should think that, at the very least, once you receive the renewal letter or within 60 days of expiry would be within their "policy".

Note to keyboard commandos: yeah - I know that the statutes do not specifically give the sheriff's the authority to set a renewal period policy but my response was meant to be pragmatic.

Never received anything.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Juniata County)

Never received anything.
    Unless your address changed or there is some other reason (ie mail stolen), you are required to be sent one. A set amount of money for the LTCF is set aside to ensure this.

Find it if other people did not get it. If this is a policy, then it is in violation of the law & a misappropriation of .gov funds .

I would call & ask when you can come in & why no renewal form was sent.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Unless your address changed or there is some other reason (ie mail stolen), you are required to be sent one. A set amount of money for the LTCF is set aside to ensure this.

Find it if other people did not get it. If this is a policy, then it is in violation of the law & a misappropriation of .gov funds .

I would call & ask when you can come in & why no renewal form was sent.
    And if they did not send it, ask for a refund of the renewal notice processing fee of $1.50 (yeah, I know how that will turn out).

(Allegheny County)

The website used to say 90 days, but the renewal letter they sent out said 45. I renewed mine right before they started the walk-in system and I sent mine in 90 days out and they processed it.

For more info on the process see my noes in this thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=277563

You could always call and ask.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion