Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default You don't need a gun, cops will protect you

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/o...olice-look-on/

society is based on one thing and one thing alone: the rule of law. We abide each other, our neighbors, and strangers all upon the basis that the law will be enforced to protect us and enable good commerce.

A lot of gun control advocates will tell you all about how the police are sufficient to protect you. They’ll say that if you’re robbed or mugged or attacked, just roll over and play dead. The police will fix everything. There’s no need to own a gun or carry a gun on you – that’s barbaric.

And then we run into cases like what happened just last Friday.

Brittany Irish, on Wednesday, July 14th, was kidnapped, assaulted and raped by a man in northern Maine. She escaped and informed police as to what happened. She presses criminal charges alleging the same against the man who did those things.

Maine State Police don’t apprehend him. Instead, they call him up on the phone and inform him that criminal charges have been filed.

What does he do? He goes to the woman’s mother’s home and burns her barn down. Maine State Police arrive and tell the mother they can’t help her and they won’t post a trooper on the residence to protect her even though ALL SIGNS were there that an attack was imminent.

Brittany Irish and her boyfriend, Kyle Hewett, arrive at her mother’s house to see if she’s alright. They stay the night. That next morning, July 17th, at approximately 5:15 am, the alleged rapist and kidnapper blows open the door of the house with a stolen firearm. Kyle, Brittany’s boyfriend and father to their children, is shot down in cold blood trying to get his family to safety.

Brittany Irish is shot in the arm and kidnapped a second time.

Here’s a breakdown of the events, as given by WLBZ-2’s television report:
    Thursday, July 16th

8:30 pm – Kim Irish’s barn burns down. Kim Irish is the mother of Brittany Irish.

Friday, July 17th

4:40 am – Kerry Mayo’s home is broken into. He’s tied to a chair and beaten. His truck and guns were stolen.

4:50 am – Bullets hit the door of killer’s brother.

5:15 am – Irish’s home is invaded. Kyle Hewett and Kim Irish are shot. Kyle dies. Brittany Irish is kidnapped again.

5:18 am – Carlton Eddy suffers a shoulder wound as his side window is shot out as he turns around in the driveway of the Irish home. He went to the home to see the damage done to the fire the night before.

5:50 am – A police officer spots the stolen truck near I-95. During the chase, gunshots are exchanged. The officer loses the truck.

6:20 am – 58-year old Kevin Tosier is shot dead. 54-year old Clayton McCarthy is wounded on a back road. A pulp truck is stolen.

2:00 pm – Maine State Police finally arrest the killer at the home of his uncle. Brittany Irish is found and is safe.

The father of Brittany Irish, according to WLBZ-2, filed a protection order against the killer/rapist/kidnapper/arsonist back in 2011 when he showed up to hospital where Irish was giving birth to one of her children. That, obviously, didn’t work.

The killer was apprehended after two people were dead – including Kyle – and four injured.

Colonel Robert Williams said in a statement to WLBZ-2,

“State Police last week were investigating a sexual assault incident where Brittany was the victim… This is a double homicide prosecution now in the court system. As with any active homicide investigation, it would not be appropriate to discuss it at this time.”

If anything has ever cemented in my mind why I carry – it’s certainly real life events like this that pound it home.

Concealed carrying isn’t just about making a statement or some political mumbo-jumbo. It’s the reality of knowing that we live in a world with other people who have absolutely no problem doing heinous and vile things to anyone they choose.

As for the killer? He’ll get a trial eventually. And he’ll do time. And the Maine State Police will do a little investigation. And some trooper somewhere will get a medal and someone else will get a raise. Were any lessons learned? Will future events like this be prevented?

Yes - by concealed carriers like you and I. Because we train and we practice and we prepare. Because we know by the time the police arrive – the fighting is usually long over. And when it’s our families on the line, we don’t leave those sorts of things up to chance.

Situational awareness. May we always have it.
    Last edited by PocketProtector; July 28th, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: You don't need a gun, cops will protect you

Wow!

(Jefferson County)

We only dial 911 after we've taken care of business or cant catch the perp.

Even my one-armed gal tried nabbing the guy yesterday who fled after hitting my house with his car. Neighbors tried grabbing him up too. By the time I got home the police were already chasing him in the 3rd party vehicle that he got a ride from - otherwise he wouldn't have made if far before I tackled him(wouldn't be the first time I arrested a drunk that hit a structure).

Screw the system to protect you! YOU are the first line of defense and law enforcement. Hue & Cry is still part of our legal system, although we no longer have the ramifications if you do not act.

When I say this, I am NOT discrediting the hard working LEO's out there.. ...but if the theory of a nation of laws and law enforcement truly worked, no criminal acts would happen.
    Last edited by knight0334; July 28th, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Doesn't sound like a small arsenal would have stopped a determined guy like this. A great example of personal responsibility on many, many levels.....many.

"According to the the Maine Sex Offender Registry, Lord is from Crystal, Maine. He has an extensive criminal history, including gross sexual assault, unlawful contact with a minor and domestic violence. He is a lifetime registrant for a charge of unlawful sexual contact with a 14-year-old in 2004 and served five years in prison.

Most recently, Lord was convicted for domestic violence assault and driving to endanger. Penobscot County District Attorney Chris Almy said Lord grabbed his childrens' mother by the neck during a fight and called her names in front of the kids. Lord pleaded guilty to charges and spent 45 days in jail. He is still on probation and he recently tried to have it amended in order to have contact with the victim, but Almy said they denied the request out of concern for the victim's safety. "

(Chester County)

I vote his picture be on a milk carton.

(Wayne County)

the old adage always comes to mind when i read or hear stories like this, some here have it as their sig..

but its as true to me as life itself, IDE RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12, THAN CARRIED BY 6

i didnt go thru 2 yrs of defensive and weapons training to wait for someone to save me..

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Not at all surprising, but infuriating. Here's an old (but the stats are actually much worse now) article about recidivism and the number of parole/probation violators that end up doing crimes while out on those programs.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/ppvsp91.txt

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Doesn't sound like a small arsenal would have stopped a determined guy like this. A great example of personal responsibility on many, many levels.....many.

"According to the the Maine Sex Offender Registry, Lord is from Crystal, Maine. He has an extensive criminal history, including gross sexual assault, unlawful contact with a minor and domestic violence. He is a lifetime registrant for a charge of unlawful sexual contact with a 14-year-old in 2004 and served five years in prison.

Most recently, Lord was convicted for domestic violence assault and driving to endanger. Penobscot County District Attorney Chris Almy said Lord grabbed his childrens' mother by the neck during a fight and called her names in front of the kids. Lord pleaded guilty to charges and spent 45 days in jail. He is still on probation and he recently tried to have it amended in order to have contact with the victim, but Almy said they denied the request out of concern for the victim's safety. "