Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Beretta Pico Range Report with bonus Davis .32 Derringer report

I finally managed to get some range time. I had bought a Beretta Pico (.380 auto for those not familiar) back in February and was daunted by how hard it was to activate the slide release. Everything was so stiff. So I started dry cycling. I must have done this a couple of thousand times, and it still felt stiff. OK, so it was time to finally see how it behaves. I had been reading up on various range reports from pros such as The Truth About Guns, Guns and Ammo, and USA Carry to mention a few. All had similar reviews - tough slide release, oddball magazine release that was difficult to use (it is a sort of wrap-around lever tucked right behind the trigger guard), and really hard trigger pull. I decided to take the advice given by The Truth About Guns and break it in with SD ammo - namely Hornady Critical Defense FTX and RWS FMJs once I had put 50 rounds of FTX through. For comparison I took my Colt Pony (carry piece). The Pony has after-market sights (round tritium front, black V with white post rear) and a smoothed trigger. Again, for those not familiar with either pistol, both are DAO hammer-fired .380s. I was using 100 yard rifle targets at 25 feet (had no idea what to expect for spread and was also testing a .32 derringer - I'll give you the comedy after the Pico report).

I started the Colt Pony with the RWS since I was familiar with its FTX behavior. I put 25 rounds through it one-handed no support (all my test shots were done this way). Everything was within the 8 ring. All rounds fired flawlessly (the Pony is very reliable). Time to switch to the Beretta - deep breath. I loaded the flat-bottomed and the pinky-extensioned magazines (come standard with the Pico) with 5 rounds of FTX. Had trouble with the slide release and had to wiggle and jiggle and get my left knuckle scraped to get that first round in the chamber. OK, loaded. The pistol feels a bit odd in my hand because it has a different balance than the Pony - somewhat top heavy yet lighter (both are true as it turns out). The Pico comes with a good three-dot sight system, so I took one-handed aim and fired. I hit on the 8 ring directly north of the X. I fired the other four rounds - recoil not bad at all for what feels like a light .380. The magazine release proves to be less awkward than I expected - must be the thousand cycles talking. OK, put in the second magazine prepared to fight the slide release. Lo and behold, a touch with my left thumb and the slide glides into battery. It's almost like it said "Oh, that's what I'm supposed to do!" after being reminded by the magazine of FTX. The second magazine-worth was even smoother. I ended up shooting 50 rounds of FTX without a hiccup and with the whole action/slide cycle/magazine pop getting easier each time.

I switched to RWS FMJ .380. By the end of the first 50 rounds of RWS, I was shaking a little after each reload cycle - mainly because this is still a small .380 so my wrist is tired even though the perceived recoil is not bad at all. Ran through the second box of RWS, and by now I was just tired. Accuracy was certainly better than I am. Essentially I ended up shooting a ragged line through the center of the target between the borders of the 9 ring with a few flyers into the 8 and 7. Not a single feeding/ejection problem. At the end of the second box of RWS, I put the Pony in the range bag and the loaded Pico in my sort-of-Uncle-Mikes pocket holster. It feels a bit heavier than my .32 NAA Guardian, but just a bit - and sits lighter than the Pony. In fact, it sat in my pocket on the way home and is still sitting there until I go down to clean things. I think I have a new carry piece.

Oh yeah, the derringer. A .32 Davis that I picked up cheap at a gun show. I made a stupid mistake when I set up my ammo/tool bag for this trip, I forgot to take a steel poking rod. I got off two shots at 5 yards - hit the target both times, once in 6 and once just outside of the rings. The top casing came out with a twisty pull with finger nails, the bottom came out with some banging on the table. Second round - one hit inside the 7 ring, one zoomed off into the great beyond somewhere. Extensive banging gets the two cases out. Third round - two shots into The Twilight Zone. Much banging and a warning about foul language and the top case worked its way out. I'll poke the bottom one out when I get downstairs. Conclusion - better than being caught with only a pencil to defend yourself - they do go bang fairly reliably - but strictly up very close and personal.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Default Re: Beretta Pico Range Report with bonus Davis .32 Derringer report

The follower locks the slide open on an empty mag, so the "trouble" some people have with the Pico slide release is easily remedied by dropping the empty mag and/or inserting a loaded one.

While the trigger is on the stiff side, mine has smoothed out quite a bit. A few members of the Beretta forum removed the inner hammer spring which reduced the trigger pull ~30%.

The Pico really has a lot going for it: thin as a dime, better sights than everything in its price range, totally flat but still locks open on an empty mag, & ships with 2 mags.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Beretta Pico Range Report with bonus Davis .32 Derringer report

The Nano has no slide release lever. It locks open on an empty mag. Insert another loaded mag or pull back on the slide and it releases. It's purposely made without levers so it lies flat.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC