Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Good gun lawyer? Joshua Prince?

I just contacted the office of Joshua Prince. I am going to set up consultation once I obtain some records of mine. Does anyone have experience with him? His reviews online are good and he is the nearest attorney that specializes in firearms. After doing extensive research I am fairly certain I can own guns but I just want to have my ass covered. I have actually contacted a number of attorneys and even LEO's. Its amazing how many people in that field do not know the law. I guess that is good and bad depending on the situation. I called two county sheriffs and one told me he wasn't that familiar with gun laws. I questioned him about obtaining mental health records and was told they only look into criminal matters when it pertains to firearms. Do they really even enforce the 302 firearm prohibition? How would an LEO even know if it doesn't show up on criminal background checks? Would they run a pics check if they thought you might be a prohibited person? I was even told by a pics operator that they don't always receive the appropriate information from counties. From my perspective and experience it seems that a lot of innocent people could get screwed and people with prohibiting mental health records could fall through the cracks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Good gun lawyer? Joshua Prince?

As for Josh Prince, I've worked with him quite often. He's one knowledgable sunofagun. I highly recommend him.

As far as I'm aware, 302 info is reported to the PSP database that is accessed by the PICS system. The only people who will know if you are prohibited is the PICS folks. I do not know if the info is forwarded to your local sheriff. I do know that it is NOT forwarded to your local PD. I'm sure PSP can find out information.
    Example, if local PD heard rumor that you were prohibited due to 302, and currently in possession,(angry ex g/f), they'd have to call PSP or PICS to get the proper information to verify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Pike County)

I can't imagine that they would investigate a person based on a rumor though. The only likely scenario would be if someone did something else to get arrested while they were in possession of a firearm and they decided to check. Or if an individual got pulled over while in possession of a firearm and the cops ran a pics check.

(Pike County)

Furthermore the pics system is not infallible. They guy at the local gun store told me he sees people get denied for BS all the time. Mistaken identity, inaccurate info, the operator just felt like being a prick ect. From what I've heard there is a lot of talk about doing away with the pics system because it is so chaotic.

(Pike County)

Even when you read the guidelines on the purchase form it seems to be very vague. For example it asks if you have ever been charged with a crime. If the charge was dropped or you were found not guilty it wouldn't prevent you from owning a gun. However, some gung ho LEO may feel that it does simply because his opinion is the law.

(Montgomery County)

Also check out to Phil Kline. He is a Top Gun gun lawyer in Montco. He is active on this website.

His info follows:

Philip G. Kline
    Attorney at Law
    519 Juniper Street, Quakertown, PA 18951
    Phone: (215) 538-4444
    Fax: (215) 538-0140
    Areas of practice: Restoration of Firearm Rights, Second Amendment Rights, ATF Compliance, Firearm Estate Planning, Criminal Defense, Civil Rights Violations, Firearms-related Business Issues, Federal Firearms License Applications and Issues, NFA Issues
    Bar admissions: PA (active) NJ (inactive)
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: NRA member.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by InPa View Post
    Even when you read the guidelines on the purchase form it seems to be very vague. For example it asks if you have ever been charged with a crime. If the charge was dropped or you were found not guilty it wouldn't prevent you from owning a gun. However, some gung ho LEO may feel that it does simply because his opinion is the law.
    The form (ATF-4473) ask whether your are CURRENTLY under indictment or information for a prohibiting crime - dropped charges or not guilty dispositions would not trigger a "yes" answer.

The question goes to the Federal prohibition of 18 USC 922(n) that prohibits obtaining while under indictment (one would not have to dispossess already existing firearms):

(n) It shall be unlawful for any person who is under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition or receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    IANAL

(Franklin County)

Either Phil Kline or Joshua Prince should be able to help you out, provided you are able to provide all the necessary information on your background. They should also be able to advise you on how to best obtain what is necessary to arrive at an accurate conclusion, should you assistance with that, as well.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Example, if local PD heard rumor that you were prohibited due to 302, and currently in possession,(angry ex g/f), they'd have to call PSP or PICS to get the proper information to verify.
    Quote Originally Posted by InPa View Post
    I can't imagine that they would investigate a person based on a rumor though. The only likely scenario would be if someone did something else to get arrested while they were in possession of a firearm and they decided to check. Or if an individual got pulled over while in possession of a firearm and the cops ran a pics check.
    Sounds to me like jw34 is just making it up...like he'd have any idea how a local PD would do things.

(Pike County)

Other than actually catching someone in the act of possessing a firearm how would they do it? Get a search warrant based on a rumor? Maybe if angry girlfriend lets them into their home but even that is debatable. Maybe the angry girlfriend planted them there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast