Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default Questions about my LTCF permit renewal.

A month ago I received a notice that my LTCF permit was to expire on August 2, 2015. Not one to wait until the last minute to renew any memberships, driver's license, vehicle registration, etc., I went to the Tioga County Sheriff's Office to submit the renewal application with plenty of time to spare. . Today I received a notice that my permit was approved and had to be picked up in person, which I did.

Questions: My permit says that it is "NEW" permit, not a renewal.
    The Issue date is 7/15/2015 and expires on 7/21/2020

I called the Sheriff's office to express my confusion. The clerk told me that this was a newly established PA process and that all LTCF permits were "new". I wish that I had had my permit in front of me while on the phone, because I would have asked why there were boxes for renewal and dupl/correction? As to the new expiration date, I could have avoided that by not renewing the application so early.

Gosh, I feel like a Freshman. Can anyone tell me if they have had the same experience?

P.S. I am a new member to this forum.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Questions about my LTCF permit renewal.

Gosh, I feel like a Freshman. Can anyone tell me if they have had the same experience?

I have been a carry permit holder for more than forty years.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gator66 View Post

I have been a carry permit holder for more than forty years.
    Someone probably just checked the wrong box and doesn't want to admit it. It is the same in all aspects whether it is a renewal or new so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Hell, I have never even got a renewal notice for mine.

Welcome to pafoa.

(York County)

Not really clear on whether or not this helps, but my renewal was issued by the York County Sheriff in November 2013. It is
    checked "renewal".

Different county, and a year and a half ago. Still... so much for "Uniform", eh?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Gator66 View Post
    As to the new expiration date, I could have avoided that by not renewing the application so early.
    By renewing a month early each time, you will have lost one year of permit time in sixty years.

Mine says "Renew." Maybe they just don't like you. If there was a benefit to having a long term LTCF, I'd worry about it but, as it stands, I'd only care that it is valid.

(Tioga County)

I know that you are correct, on both points.

I guess my nose was just a little bent out of shape for the lost legacy credit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    By renewing a month early each time, you will have lost one year of permit time in sixty years.

Mine says "Renew." Maybe they just don't like you. If there was a benefit to having a long term LTCF, I'd worry about it but, as it stands, I'd only care that it is valid.
    I renew mine the earliest I can 90 days out. I am wasting $0.20 per year or $1 over the life of the LTCF. If I live to be 85 I'll have wasted $10. But that give me hopefully more than enough time to deal with any issues the local sheriffs office has. During peak times waits can be longer. There is a thread about a office who's printer is broken. It would be nice if we could rely on the government to be reliable but that is not reality.

For some things, I prefer to try and work whiten the broken system rather that simply fight against it.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Philadelphia County)

My permit has expired and I have to renew it so I went down to the office to get an application.One thing on it that stood out to me was the statement that all renewals are treated as new applications.I was wondering if this was across the board statewide or something that was made up by by the Philly police.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    My permit has expired and I have to renew it so I went down to the office to get an application.One thing on it that stood out to me was the statement that all renewals are treated as new applications.I was wondering if this was across the board statewide or something that was made up by by the Philly police.
    I was told the same thing in Tioga County.

It isn't the twenty cents that bothers me, although I do plan on living forever. I just could not understand why a renewal date on a permit wasn't treated the same way as other renewals - ie. a drivers license. I never noticed with prior renewals.