Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's a good shotgun and caliber for a 9 year old who wants to shoot trap?

My son has expressed an interest in shooting trap with me. I have no idea where to start with a shotgun for him? Anybody have any advice or recommendations?

Thank you,

Troll

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What's a good shotgun and caliber for a 9 year old who wants to shoot trap?

20ga.

If recoil is a problem, get a shotgun chambered in 20ga, but is built on a 12ga frame. ...gun will be heavier than a 20ga frame gun, but mass is the prime factor in controlling recoil.

20ga will offer larger amounts of shot, and larger shot patterns over 24ga, 28ga, 32ga, and .410bore. But not as much harshness as a 12ga or 16ga.

Absolutely DO NOT go the .410bore route. The smaller bores are for more experienced shooters.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What's a good shotgun and caliber for a 9 year old who wants to shoot trap?

+1 on the 20. Add if you can afford the extra cost, you could go with a semi-auto (Remington 1100/11-87 to mention a few) to further reduce the felt recoil. Also they make youth shotguns and even aftermarket youth stocks (shorter stock).

Here's an example: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remin...th/1834183.uts
    Toujours pręt

If you buy a 20ga. only buy the very lightest loads, the hotter loads rival a 12ga. in the recoil department. Since we reload our kids just shot cut down 12s with really light trap loads. Maybe you could find someone who could help with some starter loads. IMHO a lot of the answer will go buy his size and strength.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

20ga shotgun will suffice. I would suggest a youth model from NEF/H&R or Rossi. I think single shot will be fine as he will learn the basics then he can move up to a pump action.

Thanks for the feedback eveyone, you've given me a bit to think about and reasearch, and a good place to start.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    20ga shotgun will suffice. I would suggest a youth model from NEF/H&R or Rossi. I think single shot will be fine as he will learn the basics then he can move up to a pump action.
    The H&R /Rossi single shots will fit a 9 year old perfectly. Good length of pull and a short barrel. At 9 a single shot is a plus in my book, the kids concentrate on the targets more and less to worry about when you look away for a second (and you will). The problem is the recoil, I didn't like shooting standard a standard 20 ga out of it. Definitely go 20 ga vs .410 to start and buy the lightest target loads you can find. If you reload even better. I loaded some 1/2 ounce loads with an under book charge of a fast powder. The kick was mild and a kid can still smoke a clay pigeon.

He/she might have to grow into it though. My kids didn't like to shoot shotguns till they were closer to 12-13. But every kid (and their size) is different.

(Luzerne County)

"20ga will offer larger amounts of shot, and larger shot patterns over 24ga, 28ga, 32ga, and .410bore. But not as much harshness as a 12ga or 16ga."

Not quite so, 28 gauge shot shells can be had with shot charges that are equivalent to 20 gauge loads (3/4oz., 7/8oz., even one ounce).
    Patterns..,.in general pattern size is controlled by choke not gauge: a .410, a 28, a 20 and a 12 when fired through the same choke will have the same size patterns at the same distances. Density will vary depending on payload.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Mercer County)

Roll your own "light" trap loads for a 16 or 12 gauge. When my son was that age I trying him with 28 & 20s but he was very accurate on the clays. Went with light loads on the 16 & 12 and his scores doubled. He preferred the 16.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

A lot of good adult shooters use a 20ga.
    I'm a 12ga guy myself but none the less.
    I do know some adults that were not happy with a NEF 20ga recoil.
    So will a 9 yr old?
    I dunno , I've seen a 11 yr old get pounded from a 30-06 pump carbine and he was having the time of his life.
    But how about the mossburg 500 bantam? In 20ga.
    The gun is made to grow with the shooter and recoil should be less than nef , however maybe he won't be able to hold it as well.
    But maybe at least look at and find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast