Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: References for a license to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Mag View Post
    Wow, I got it. It's kinda crazy how easy it was, and how fast. Handed them the app with my ID and $20, and sat around for like 20 minutes. Boom! Permit in hand. My pic looks like crap, tho, LOL.

So, now I can carry pretty much wherever, right? When I buy a new gun, I mean. I'm gonna be hittin up some of the shops around here and see what's up.
    Everywhere except:
    Federal buildings

Court house; they have to provide a place to
    Secure it.

School grounds; there's a debate with this one,
    but unless you want to be a test case in court I'd avoid it.

Private businesses that post guns are off limits.

Congratulations on getting your license. Study up on some of the laws and be safe.

(Berks County)

Let us know when you get unhappy that you had to even get an LTCF in the first place.

I've been reading the laws in my spare time. They don't seem all too complicated except for a few things:

The stuff about state parks, the DMV, and state buildings. On the one hand, it seems like its fine to carry there, but then I've seen signs saying you can't.

The part about schools. Well two parts, the lawful purpose part and the part about "conveyance", like if I drive my nieces to the school bus stop or something. It's not something I have to worry about, but it's kinda confusing.

(Allegheny County)

I used an in county reference and an out of state reference in Allegheny county. Neither where called.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Mag View Post
    I've been reading the laws in my spare time. They don't seem all too complicated except for a few things:

The stuff about state parks, the DMV, and state buildings. On the one hand, it seems like its fine to carry there, but then I've seen signs saying you can't.

The part about schools. Well two parts, the lawful purpose part and the part about "conveyance", like if I drive my nieces to the school bus stop or something. It's not something I have to worry about, but it's kinda confusing.
    The state park rule only restricts open carry not concealed carry. It is an illegal prohibition imho, but has yet to go through the courts to the point of setting a precedence. It should be struck down in that case, but with the way the courts have been ruling it's a crap shoot anymore. Unless you're planning to OC in a state park it isn't an issue.

The DMV is a whole different issue. They know they are violating 6120, but are trying to say it is a private property issue. I'm somehow doubting that it will be easily solved, but there are people working on it. I'll try and dig up a link to the thread for it.

Schools and school conveniences has been hashed over many times on here. The lawful purpose issue has been successfully argued in court, but not to the point where it sets precedence. Same thing with the definition of a school conveyance. They are both kind of grey areas, that would require someone to get arrested and charged and then have the time/money to challenge them in court. That poses lots of risks and I don't know anyone lining up to volunteer.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    The state park rule only restricts open carry not concealed carry. It is an illegal prohibition imho, but has yet to go through the courts to the point of setting a precedence. It should be struck down in that case, but with the way the courts have been ruling it's a crap shoot anymore. Unless you're planning to OC in a state park it isn't an issue.

The DMV is a whole different issue. They know they are violating 6120, but are trying to say it is a private property issue. I'm somehow doubting that it will be easily solved, but there are people working on it. I'll try and dig up a link to the thread for it.

Schools and school conveniences has been hashed over many times on here. The lawful purpose issue has been successfully argued in court, but not to the point where it sets precedence. Same thing with the definition of a school conveyance. They are both kind of grey areas, that would require someone to get arrested and charged and then have the time/money to challenge them in court. That poses lots of risks and I don't know anyone lining up to volunteer.

That thread is here... http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...32#post2669181
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Beaver County)

Unhappy Re: References for a license to carry?

After having a LTC for several years and passing background. Why?
    'It is Their Right, It is Their Duty, To Throw Off Such Government '

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Thanks, much appreciated.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    And we are still working on it! Updates soon to come....
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I thought it was said here that Philly did away with any references needed. If that's true, then shouldn't all counties be the same; no references required?
    Phila was forced to get rid of the seperate pages they used for references. They wanted a written statement of character and signatures. The two reference lines are on the state application. Just asking for names and contact info.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast