Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 1911 concealed carry

So, I will soon be switching from carrying an XD to carrying a 1911 style pistol.
    I havent had any real bad issues with concealing a full size XD OWB in a serpa and loose shirt, but would like to go IWB. I mostly OWB with the loose shirt on hot days as it is more comphy.

Any tips or suggestions?
    Draw stroke pointers?
    I know I should be taking the thumb safety off between the low ready position and the fire position, but I am concerned in a rusg situation when I grab the gun from the holster I will hit it off before low ready as grabbing in will do that. Do you draw first position from the holster with thumb under the safety? what is the technique ?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 1911 concealed carry

I use Comp-tac pro undercover IWB holster's - My grip with any of my 1911's from any holster is the same. My strong hand thumb is on the thumb safety from the point I take a grip - that way I can disengage the safety as soon as I need to (point shoot or aimed fire)

I normally disengage the safety as soon as my trigger finger moves from the index to the trigger. I normally index right behind the exposed part of the slide stop.
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Northampton County)

I switched from an XDSC9 to a 1911 about 8 months ago. I carry in a Galco Concealable Belt Holster - OWB and don't have any problems printing (not that I care if I print or not).

Actually, I find it easier to conceal the full size 1911 than the XDSC9, but that probably has a lot to do with holster choice.

Also, just remember this: right belt, right holster, right gun. The belt is important, especially with the weight of a full size steel 1911 with 8 rounds of 45ACP - empty most 1911's are around 40oz.

Not that you asked, but make sure you practice... practice... practice with the 1911. Get a bunch of snap caps and brush up on your draw technique and disengage / engage the safety. If you're used to a DA gun with now thumb safety, and haven't trained enough to commit the action to muscle memory, when you need the gun most, you might forget the thumb safety The trigger on a SA 1911 is WORLDS apart from a DA. Dry firing is your friend. Oh, and practice some more

The 1911 is a great gun, but it's definitely not for beginners (not that you are, I have no idea). I can tell you that when I went up to Sig for some training, they actually brought anyone who was using a 1911 out to the range and put us through some "tests" before the instructors decided they were comfortable with us using the 1911 platform in training. I saw 1 person get asked to use a loaner Sig and lock up their 1911.

Practice tactical and emergency reloads, practice clearing double feeds. Not that your gun is going to give you a problem, but 8 rounds goes quick sometimes, and your ability to shoot on the move and reload on the move while obtaining cover will be more important than someone carrying 12-16 rounds.

As for draw techniques and disengaging the safety: My thumb sits on the safety as I grip and draw. The safety goes off as it clears the holster, somewhere between the muzzle clearing and the low ready position. The thumb STAYS on top of the safety. You'll need to get used to the position of your thumb relative to the slide. The cocking serrations will remove flesh when the slide cycles (ask me how I know). My finger only goes on trigger when the target is in my sight picture. Muzzle discipline and trigger control are critical (with any handgun).

I've changed the thumb safety on most of my 1911s - if they didn't come with an extended safety. I like the extended safety from Nighthawk custom. It's wider and longer and if it's installed and fit properly, has a crisper "click" on and off. Oh, if your new gun doesn't have an ambi-safety, you may want to add it. I don't have it on my carry gun and drawing with your support hand is WAY more difficult to disengage the safety. I ended up having to use my index finger, which takes additional time to re-grip and get to the trigger.

Good luck with your new gun! You'll love it. Did I mention practice, practice, practice?
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

The Galco SOB 212 does a nice job of concealing a full size (5") Govn't Model. You dont have to wear it dead center, you can move it one belt loop closer to the strong side so the butt lies at either 3 or 9 o'clock. It has worked well for me a few times with dark print, oversized Hawaiian shirts. It's very comfortable also, but mine squeeks a lot.
    Lord, help me become the person my dog believes I am

Quote Originally Posted by noshow View Post
    The Galco SOB 212 does a nice job of concealing a full size (5") Govn't Model. You dont have to wear it dead center, you can move it one belt loop closer to the strong side so the butt lies at either 3 or 9 o'clock. It has worked well for me a few times with dark print, oversized Hawaiian shirts. It's very comfortable also, but mine squeeks a lot.
    If you can find the squeak a little Talc will take care of it.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    So, I will soon be switching from carrying an XD to carrying a 1911 style pistol.
    I havent had any real bad issues with concealing a full size XD OWB in a serpa and loose shirt, but would like to go IWB. I mostly OWB with the loose shirt on hot days as it is more comphy.

Any tips or suggestions?
    Draw stroke pointers?
    I know I should be taking the thumb safety off between the low ready position and the fire position, but I am concerned in a rusg situation when I grab the gun from the holster I will hit it off before low ready as grabbing in will do that. Do you draw first position from the holster with thumb under the safety? what is the technique ?
    Shawn, your strong side thumb should never be anywhere but on the safety. While drawing or shooting, it should be resting on that safety. Think of it as a thumb-rest.

I purchased a Kimber ProCarry II Stainless for carry. Unfortunately, it is at Kimber right now for repair. It never ran right from the day I received it. I would not recommend this gun at all. I did love the size and the Galco Fletch holster that I bought for it.

I hope the gun runs OK when I get it back from Kimber. Until then, it is still Sig P220 or Glock 17 3:00 OWB for me.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    I switched from an XDSC9 to a 1911 about 8 months ago. I carry in a Galco Concealable Belt Holster - OWB and don't have any problems printing (not that I care if I print or not).

Actually, I find it easier to conceal the full size 1911 than the XDSC9, but that probably has a lot to do with holster choice.

Also, just remember this: right belt, right holster, right gun. The belt is important, especially with the weight of a full size steel 1911 with 8 rounds of 45ACP - empty most 1911's are around 40oz.

Not that you asked, but make sure you practice... practice... practice with the 1911. Get a bunch of snap caps and brush up on your draw technique and disengage / engage the safety. If you're used to a DA gun with now thumb safety, and haven't trained enough to commit the action to muscle memory, when you need the gun most, you might forget the thumb safety The trigger on a SA 1911 is WORLDS apart from a DA. Dry firing is your friend. Oh, and practice some more

The 1911 is a great gun, but it's definitely not for beginners (not that you are, I have no idea). I can tell you that when I went up to Sig for some training, they actually brought anyone who was using a 1911 out to the range and put us through some "tests" before the instructors decided they were comfortable with us using the 1911 platform in training. I saw 1 person get asked to use a loaner Sig and lock up their 1911.

Practice tactical and emergency reloads, practice clearing double feeds. Not that your gun is going to give you a problem, but 8 rounds goes quick sometimes, and your ability to shoot on the move and reload on the move while obtaining cover will be more important than someone carrying 12-16 rounds.

As for draw techniques and disengaging the safety: My thumb sits on the safety as I grip and draw. The safety goes off as it clears the holster, somewhere between the muzzle clearing and the low ready position. The thumb STAYS on top of the safety. You'll need to get used to the position of your thumb relative to the slide. The cocking serrations will remove flesh when the slide cycles (ask me how I know). My finger only goes on trigger when the target is in my sight picture. Muzzle discipline and trigger control are critical (with any handgun).

I've changed the thumb safety on most of my 1911s - if they didn't come with an extended safety. I like the extended safety from Nighthawk custom. It's wider and longer and if it's installed and fit properly, has a crisper "click" on and off. Oh, if your new gun doesn't have an ambi-safety, you may want to add it. I don't have it on my carry gun and drawing with your support hand is WAY more difficult to disengage the safety. I ended up having to use my index finger, which takes additional time to re-grip and get to the trigger.

Good luck with your new gun! You'll love it. Did I mention practice, practice, practice?
    Good Advice!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Swipe off the safety as you are coming out of the holster and leave your thumb there to prevent it from accidentally getting bumped back on. As soon as you clear your holster, your trigger finger is your safety. Waiting until the point you suggest would keep you from firing from other potentially appropriate times in the draw sequence such as from retention or throughout extension.

I suggest a good piece of leather for a holster. Fist #20

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Swipe off the safety as you are coming out of the holster and leave your thumb there to prevent it from accidentally getting bumped back on. As soon as you clear your holster, your trigger finger is your safety. Waiting until the point you suggest would keep you from firing from other potentially appropriate times in the draw sequence such as from retention or throughout extension.

I suggest a good piece of leather for a holster. Fist #20
    Maybe I am old fashion but my safety does not go off till i am ready to kill something. Removing the safety as you draw your pistol, i feel is a bad idea. You should train to remove the safety as you exstened the pistol to fire and reply as you move back to high compresed ready.

as for orginal topic. I carry a 3in or 4in 1911 in 3 to 4 diffrent holsters depending on were i am going and how i am dressed. Make sure you pick up a good mag carrier also.
    Tantric Shooting Team

woah 3 year old thread bump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast