Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Unhappy Non-Resident update

Just an FYI. As of today, the sheriff's department in Honesdale stated that they will only issue a non-resident license to person who has either a "Full Carry" or a "Business" permit (with NO restrictions, i.e., target, hunting, etc.) in their state of residence. Hopefully the noose will stop getting tighter with a new AG!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Non-Resident update

FYI no county is allowed to issue an LTCF to a person who does not currently have full carry privileges in their official state of residence. (Respectfully submitted)
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Chester County)

Default Re: Non-Resident update

Quote Originally Posted by PoconoJo View Post
    FYI no county is allowed to issue an LTCF to a person who does not currently have full carry privileges in their official state of residence. (Respectfully submitted)
    I believe that the interpretation of 18 Pa CS 6109(e)(1)(ix), with respect to the meaning of the bolded quoted below, has been a matter of individual interpretation that varies amongst the various sheriff departments. Of the few that issue to non-residents I've heard of some, like Wayne county, that require an unrestricted CCW from the home state while others may interpret it more broadly to include restricted CCWs.

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    I'm not aware of any statutory or case law that provides a 'bright line' interpretation.
    IANAL