Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P938

Default SIG P938

thinking about getting the P938, would like some feedback please

thanks

(Monroe County)

Default Re: SIG P938

I know a guy who is retired law enforcement and he knows his guns and is a very good shooter. He bought a P938 last year
    and is still talking about it, he brough it up this past weekend. He loves that pistol and carries it everyday!
    Hope that helps a bit.

(Lancaster County)

Very nice gun, but I was disappointed with the 8 lb trigger pull.

(Pike County)

Mine came with the rear site shoved all the way starboard and the worst trigger on any gun I have ever handled. Working on resolving that now.

(Lancaster County)

This is a pistol you'll read a lot of good and bad about. There were some early issues with jamming due to bad recoil springs and magazines. You will still occasionally get a bad magazine- which, in my opinion, is unacceptable considering how much the gun and magazines cost. I had a 938 and sold it. I was unimpressed. Yes, it's small. Yes, it's reasonably light on recoil. Yes, it's a Sig with a metal frame. But in the same breath- it's single action only with a terrible trigger pull, I even had a few misfeeds. Sig recommends shooting 124 grain 9mm and sometimes finding that is harder than the 115 grain. For what I paid, I felt like there were better guns out there. My Kahr CM9 that I replaced it with has been substantially nicer so far.

(Philadelphia County)

I recommend a glock 26 if you need a sub compact. It has fed all types of rounds reliably to date and is accurate enough for its intended purpose. I have always been partial to sigs (first gun) and carry primarily a P228 (compact, almost full size), but will carry my glock 26 when I need something smaller (usually due to what I'm wearing). Otherwise I would recommend a smith and wesson snubbie if you're not concern about capacity. Depends on what your preference is and what you are looking for in a carry gun. Good luck in your decision.

(Lancaster County)

I have had a P938 for over two years now. I find it to be a great firearm. Shoots great. The spring and magazine issues were from way back and are a non-issue now. While not a 1911 it is in that style, to be carried cocked and locked as a 1911 should. Single Action. Some people are not comfortable with that. I find the trigger to be fine for a weapon that may be carried in a pocket holster some times. I don't want a 4 pound trigger in my pocket. Pocket holsters work well with it. It is a bit heavy for an ankle holster. There are plenty of IWB holsters for it and carrying that way it is a pleasure. A few people have had some more recent issues with the main spring housing pins wearing down where the spring mounts to it. Mine have never had that issue. SIG may have already addressed that issue. Don't know.

If you are comfortable with .380, the SIG P238 is a good option. Almost the same weapon and can easily be carried in jeans pockets. Even more than the P938. Please don't start a battle about .380 versus .45 or whatever caliber for a carry gun. Take that elsewhere. I also used to have a Kahr. They are fine but the trigger guard area was too small for my size hand and fingers. Put a hundred rounds down range and my finger was raw from rubbing on the guard area.

Go to a local shop and try all of the models they have available. Rent some to shoot if you have a place to do that. My girlfriend loved my P938 but after shooting, she found the Ruger LC9 better suited to her hands.

All comes down to what is most comfortable for you in your price range.
    Last edited by vetman03; July 22nd, 2015 at 11:25 AM.

I got one from last year and now I feel weird without it.
    I understand there were some issues with it in earlier version but mine was born on April. 2014.
    I did massive research on it before purchase and if you get one that was manufactured around mine or later, you should be ok.
    I've shot over 500 rounds mixed 115-147grn along with two other brand defensive rounds and not a single issue so far. Very accurate and reliable, if it does not hit where I intend to, its me not the gun.
    I carry it all the time in my pants/short pocket with sticky holster and no one knows I carry, not even my kids, yet I can draw it faster than other pistols I have from holsters.
    I am not sure about 8lbs trigger? mine feels much much less than that.... it shoots without any effort.... but then again, I dropped it onto concrete twice with hammer cocked and it didn't went off.... perhaps mine is defect?
    But it shoots when I want it to so I am OK with that.
    Just keep your finger off from trigger if you are not intend to shoot it.
    Very low profile, durable, reliable, accurate and I am very happy with it.
    Last edited by Exarforce; July 22nd, 2015 at 05:26 PM.

(Luzerne County)

938 is my daily carry.I have the extreme model and it shoots great.only gripe is after 50+ rounds the 1 grip screw gets loose.if you get one,I suggest a theis ez clip holster,I wear it ony right hip and it's the most comfortable setup I have ever personally used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

OK, just got done playing with the Lyman digital trigger gauge. The P938 after around 12 tries came out with an average of 8.5 pounds single action. My SIG P220 measured the same came in single action around 6 pounds. Double action around 10 pounds. My two 1911's came in around 6 pounds each.

I was never one who got tied up in trigger pull weight. I have more handguns than I have fingers and the trigger pulls vary. I learn to shoot each one as-is. To be honest, some people may have calibrated hands that can tell the difference between 6, 8 and 10 pounds, but I would bet in a double blind study, most people could not tell which was which. The P938 feels very close to the 1911's. The P938 is a little sharper and the 1911's smoother at the point the gun would fire. Still not a whole lot of difference between the two. As I said before, I don't want a light weight trigger in my pocket. Many police departments insist on 10 pounds or more for any service weapon. Check the NY-1 and NY-2 specs used in New York by the state and city police. 10 and 12 pounds required!
    Last edited by vetman03; July 22nd, 2015 at 09:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast