Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Handcuff Carry?

(Montgomery County)

Default Handcuff Carry?

(I say this being 99.9% sure carrying handcuffs in PA is not illegal.)

I keep a pair at home in the gun safe just incase there is a SHTF scenario, but never thought about including a set (maybe flex cuffs) in my car until I saw the end of a nasty brawl outside of a Sheetz. There were three guys trying to hold down someone who was still being combative and I thought if someone has a pair of cuffs the situation would have been a lot better in that both it would have been easier to restrain the guy (there was literally a guy who had to sit on him and that is dangerous in of itself) and if he was properly restrained it might have also calmed him down a bit realizing resisting would no longer produce anything.

I checked a few other forums and it was either survivalists talking about end of the world scenarios or a cop forum where a citizen would ask a well meaning question and would then get trashed by all the cop members as wanting to be a "wannabe cop". So I really couldn't find an answer to the question. Does any reasonable person out there carry handcuffs in their car? Keep them at home? Ever though about keeping them in your fixed place of business (assuming you have the authority to set company policy, etc.)?

And, please, before it happens here is my list of disclaimers:

1. No I don't think everyone should start OCing and carry cuffs at the same time.
    2. I am familiar with the rules involving citizen's arrests and don't think that citizens should actively going around pretending to be cops.
    3. I realize it will be the rare moment when you would actual have a real need for handcuffs, but the same is true about carrying a gun.
    4. I also realize you need some rudimentary training to properly apply handcuffs. We are not talking sacred knowledge here though. Watching a few online videos and cuffing up the wife is enough to realize how to properly double lock them and not to fit them too tight. I am assuming here that someone who would carry handcuffs is of reasonable and average intelligence to also learn how to work them properly.

Added 7/20/15 -

I've got a few odd questions or assertions about civilians carrying handcuffs that I wanted to address up front...

Assertion: Handcuffing someone is assault and will just end up in getting you arrested.

This is true that in handcuffing someone without their consent is going to be a form of assault. HOWEVER, in function, if you are handcuffing someone you are probably doing so in a way that will justify/legally defend doing so. You are probably either acting in self defense or making citizens arrest. If the intervening incident that resulted in you using force (assuming you just didn't run up behind someone here and only try to hand cuff them) you have probably already committed some form of assault. Handcuffing someone if you were not legally justified in doing so may be an additional charge, but chances are if you are handcuffing someone you have already committed at least one charge of assault.

Assertion: Only the police can use force to handcuff someone.

This is simply not true. You are allowed to use reasonable force to both defending yourself and effect a citizens arrest just like the police can use reasonable force in both circumstances (granted they are bound by some different rules but this generally applies to both). What you do not enjoy as a civilian that police enjoy are things such as qualified immunity and the protection of government insurance. If a cop makes an arrest without probable cause then he may not, in the end, be held liable or have to pay out personally. If you do as a civilian, unless you have proper insurance protection, you will probably be paying out of pocket for any judgement.

Question: Why would you want to handcuff someone?

In the end it is for the same reason the police handcuff you when they make an arrest. It is both for your safety and the safety of the person being restrained. (Granted police abuse "officer safety" sometimes when handcuffing people). A person is simply easier to restrain and control when properly handcuffed and that person is also less likely to continue in a combative manner which would require escalating force in order to keep them restrained.
    Last edited by archon; July 20th, 2015 at 11:55 AM.

Default Re: Handcuff Carry?

I carry a pair only when i am at work. I am on the streets in the middle of the night and have made FELONY CITIZEN ARREST a few times and after the first few i decided to carry a pair.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by archon View Post

I am assuming here that someone who would carry handcuffs is of reasonable and average intelligence to also learn how to work them properly.

There are some, of being reasonable and average intelligence, who have shot themselves in the foot, had their gun taken then been shot, and most likely would have the same thing happen with handcuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    There are some, of being reasonable and average intelligence, who have shot themselves in the foot, had their gun taken then been shot, and most likely would have the same thing happen with handcuffs.

Yes life is full of risk. I think everyone gets that.

(Lancaster County)

I keep some at home.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post

Yes life is full of risk. I think everyone gets that.

(Wayne County)

Zip ties are cheap and take up little space. I keep some in my car as I do a roll of duct tape. I don't do it because I need to restrain people, I do it to hold pieces of my car together, tie something onto the roof rack or other similar reasons, but they could also be used to restrain someone if the need arose.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Zip ties are cheap and take up little space. I keep some in my car as I do a roll of duct tape. I don't do it because I need to restrain people, I do it to hold pieces of my car together, tie something onto the roof rack or other similar reasons, but they could also be used to restrain someone if the need arose.
    Yup, much the same reason I carry a roll of old carpet, a shovel and some quicklime.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I keep some at home.

Nice! The OP should not keep his hancuffs in a safe. They should be in your nightstand next to your bed.........they will be used more.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    This. Zip ties have multiple uses (unlike handcuffs), and there are no worries about being called a wannabe for having them.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast