Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Traveling from PA to FL keys. A few questions

Hello Everyone,

On Friday I am traveling from PA to the FL keys via MD,DC and so on. I will not be driving through NJ or DE. I looked at the following http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...y/reciprocity/ on this forum but have a few questions.

Before I enter into MD I plan on unloading my pistol and locking the gun. I was going to place the gun in the back of my suv in my suit case and lock the ammo in my glove box. Is this ok and legal to pass through MD and DC? The ammo is just normal fmj not hollow point. The magazine size is 7 rounds.

Once I enter into VA and the rest of the states on I95 to FL will I run into any problems if I am concealed carrying? I looked over the above link and also did some other Google searching but just wanted to double check.

Also if I am stopped in MD or DC do I inform the officer that I do have an unload hand gun or only if they ask?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

(Blair County)

Default Re: Traveling from PA to FL keys. A few questions

avoid dc i think you need a license 4 ammo there

(Schuylkill County)

As long as you are on the beltway (I-495) you do not actually enter DC. It is MD then VA. If you are purposely going into DC then all bets are off with a gun in your car. I would not do it.
    South Carolina does not have reciprocity with PA so it will be the same as MD.
    I would be leery of using the glove box. The way the statute reads, it looks like ammo also needs to be locked in the trunk separately where you cannot get at it.

I am not a lawyer but I have made this trip (not as far as the keys) about a dozen times, two or three times with a gun in the trunk. I never took it out to carry and I have not yet been stopped by the law.

(Susquehanna County)

Obligatory IANAL...

Quote Originally Posted by underpressure02 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

On Friday I am traveling from PA to the FL keys via MD,DC and so on. I will not be driving through NJ or DE. I looked at the following http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...y/reciprocity/ on this forum but have a few questions.

Before I enter into MD I plan on unloading my pistol and locking the gun. I was going to place the gun in the back of my suv in my suit case and lock the ammo in my glove box. Is this ok and legal to pass through MD and DC? The ammo is just normal fmj not hollow point. The magazine size is 7 rounds. Maryland & DC pass through yes. Do not make any stops. You are covered through federal law this way (926A).

Once I enter into VA and the rest of the states on I95 to FL will I run into any problems if I am concealed carrying? I looked over the above link and also did some other Google searching but just wanted to double check. All except SC have reciprocity with PA the rest of the way. You'd have to store it like you did when passing through MD and DC.

Also if I am stopped in MD or DC do I inform the officer that I do have an unload hand gun or only if they ask? I'm not looking into all the various states. Go to handgunlaw.us and find those states.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Stay armed my friends.

(Berks County)

Thank you for the information and for pointing out I don't drive through DC. I was trying to tell on the map but it looks like I do go right from MD to VA so one less thing to worry about. Also I read the South Dakota as South Carolina on the original link thank you for that information.

Since my SUV does not have a trunk is it ok to remove the mag and put the gun lock on and then store it in my suitcase in the back of the SUV and then lock the ammo in the glove box or should I just put the ammo in the storage of my waverunner that way it is not in the car?

(Allegheny County)

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Bold emphasis is mine. Glove box is a NO GO!

I would lock the firearm in a case and then keep the ammo in some luggage (Lock that if you can easily) in theory you could lock only the firearm in the cargo area but I would keep both back there to be safe. I would also unload mags. The definition of unloaded varies from state to state and I know some places could consider a loaded magazine a loaded firearm.

I would rather go a bit above and beyond what the minimum is required by law to be safe. Might add a few more minutes to your trip but I believe its worth it.

The factory box with a lock would probably be good enough for the law, but I have a NanoVault 300 and I never travel without it. I have used it for car and air travel.

Some other advice for MD/DC defiantly drive straight through. Plan gas, meals, and bathroom breaks around this. MD is VERY ANTI GUN!!!!!. SC we do not have reciprocity but I have not heard horror stories like I have about MD. But I would minimize stops in SC as well to be safe. Drive through vs sit down meals, gas-n-go, try not to stay overnight there.

Cruise control is your friend, use it!

Also do a through inspection of your car before you leave. Make sure no lights are out or anything else that could easily cause you to be pulled over. Do a mechanical check, fluid levels, hoses, belts, etc. Good advice for any trip but more so when traveling through anti states you do not want to break down especially in MD and attract police attention. Double check all your documents are in order. Do a search of your car for any stray ammo. In anti states you want to have a Gray Man philosophy.
    Last edited by QuackXP; July 16th, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Berks County)

So a locked tool/truck box on the front of the jet ski trailer would be ok to lock the ammo in?

(Delaware County)

South Carolina is different from MD. A loaded gun can be carried in a car without a permit.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or
    (b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;
    Last edited by STBear; July 16th, 2015 at 05:09 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    South Carolina is different from MD. A loaded gun can be carried in a car without a permit.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or
    (b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;
    So if I am reading that correctly does that mean I can keep it loaded and locked in my glove box in SC?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by underpressure02 View Post
    So if I am reading that correctly does that mean I can keep it loaded and locked in my glove box in SC?
    IANAL but I believe you can;

RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License
    Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it loaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console,
    Trunk or a vehicle without a trunk in the Luggage Area in a container secured with fasteners. Their law is
    very specific on the only locations where it can be carried.
    Section 16-23-10. Definitions. When used in this article:
    (1) “Handgun” means any firearm designed to expel a projectile and designed to be fired from the hand, but
    shall not include any firearm generally recognized or classified as an antique, curiosity, or collector’s item,
    or any that does not fire fixed cartridges.
    (10) “Luggage compartment” means the trunk of a motor vehicle which has a trunk; however, with respect to
    a motor vehicle which does not have a trunk, the term “luggage compartment” refers to the area of the motor
    vehicle in which the manufacturer designed that luggage be carried or to the area of the motor vehicle in
    which luggage is customarily carried. In a station wagon, van, hatchback vehicle, truck, or sport utility
    vehicle, the term “luggage compartment” refers to the area behind the rearmost seat.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

AGAIN IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast