Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs up Wisconsin Gov. Walker signs pro-gun legislation

Bill scraps 2-day waiting period to buy a handgun and allows security to carry concealed in public schools.

Source: USCCA e-mail 07/13/2015

Now, Let’s Expand Gun Rights in Every State
    BY TIM SCHMIDT - USCCA FOUNDER
    Not too long ago, I talked with you about the senseless and tragic murder of Carol Bowne, the young woman from New Jersey who was killed by her ex-boyfriend...basically because she was forced to wait for permission to protect herself.

Since that time, my home state of Wisconsin has seen a wonderful thing take place—something that the bureaucrats in New Jersey should pay close attention to: We expanded our gun rights. We repealed the waiting-period requirement and put freedom back in the hands of responsible Americans so they can defend themselves with firearms.

On June 24, 2015, Governor Scott Walker signed legislation into law, eliminating the nearly 40-year-old, 48-hour waiting period that was once mandatory before purchasing a handgun in our state. (Currently, ten states impose waiting periods prior to purchasing a handgun.) Walker also signed a law allowing off-duty, retired, and out-of-state police officers to carry firearms on school grounds.

And I had the honor and privilege of watching this event take place.

What a proud and exciting moment to stand behind Governor Walker—and alongside other responsibly armed Americans—to witness the signing of laws that will support our firearms community!

While I applaud Governor Walker and our state for overturning this senseless law, which was in direct affront to the Second Amendment rights of every Wisconsin resident, I'd really like to see this type of thing happening all across the United States.

Wouldn’t you?

Wouldn’t you be proud to see more legislation passed that takes the side of the good guys?

At least the state of New Jersey is listening. The tragic murder of Carol Bowne has prompted lawmakers to introduce legislation that would speed up the firearms permit application process for residents who are protected by restraining orders. Senate Republican Dawn Addiego stated in a press release, “This legislation will make sure that those who need protection the most are given priority when it comes to the lengthy process of applying for a firearms permit.”

It’s not a solution. And it’s certainly not all-inclusive. But it's a step in the right direction.

We’re making progress.

Granted, I know that some days it truly feels like we’re taking two steps forward and one step back, but it’s this kind of effort that recharges my strength and renews my faith. And it’s these small victories that we can look to as we continue to fight for our Second Amendment freedoms.

So I encourage all of you to keep up the good work. Don’t give up. Don’t back down. Let’s not lose another Carol Bowne to laws that limit our right to self-defense.

As Plato so fittingly said, “We are twice armed if we fight with faith.”

And I have faith that together we can make a difference.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

Tim Schmidt
    Publisher - Concealed Carry Report
    USCCA Founder

Also:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-in-wisconsin/

Scott Walker to sign legislation expanding gun rights in Wisconsin

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) plans to sign two new laws on Wednesday that expand the rights of gun owners by removing a 48-hour waiting period for those looking to purchase a firearm and allowing off-duty or retired police officers to carry concealed weapons at public schools. This action will come one week after a suspected gunman shot and killed nine people in an African American church in South Carolina, yet again prompting a national discussion about gun laws in the U.S.

Walker plans to sign the two pieces of legislation — Senate bills 35 and 70 — at a ceremony at the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday afternoon, according to a Tuesday evening press release from the governor's office. Laurel Patrick, a spokeswoman for the governor, said this bill-signing was scheduled and announced about two weeks ago, several days before the shooting occurred in South Carolina.

Walker, who is expected to announce in mid-July that he will run for president, has overseen the expansion of gun-owner rights in Wisconsin. He often brags in early-primary states like Iowa that his state now allows most of its residents to carry concealed firearms. Wisconsin has also enacted a so-called "castle doctrine" that provides some protections to homeowners who shoot intruders to their property.

Walker has an A-plus rating from the National Rifle Association. In endorsing Walker during his reelection campaign last year, NRA Political Victory Fund Chairman Chris W. Cox said in a statement: "Scott Walker is a battle-tested leader in the fight to preserve Second Amendment rights in Wisconsin. He's never wavered, never backed down and never stood still in the fight to protect our freedoms."

Months ago, Walker said he supported getting rid of Wisconsin's 48-hour waiting period for those looking to purchase a handgun. Walker has said that a waiting period is not needed, especially now that firearm dealers can perform instant background checks on their buyers.

“That’s one of those where with new technology, we want to make sure the bad guys don’t get firearms, and the good guys do,” Walker told the NRA’s news network during an interview in late February, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

Some Democrats in Wisconsin have argued that this waiting period is also a cooling-off period for those contemplating suicide or who might shoot another person in a fit of passion, especially in cases of domestic abuse. The legislation was passed by the Republican-dominated legislature earlier this month.

At the same time, lawmakers passed legislation that allows off-duty and retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons on public school grounds. Current law only allows on-duty officers to do so.

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Wisconsin Gov. Walker signs pro-gun legislation

That's great. I wish we could have nice things too. No such luck, thanks to all of the PA gun owners who were too lazy or apathetic to vote. (Not that I'm talking about you, Free, but....)