Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: FAL magazines

(Montgomery County)

Default FAL magazines

I just ordered a RRA LAR-8 which accepts FAL mags, and I'm wondering if there are any companies out there producing new FAL mags? I've searched, but have only been able to find beat up old ones.

Proud member of:

(Cambria County)

Default Re: FAL magazines

I usually get mine from here:
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/fn30820memag.html

But they're out of stock. Might not hurt to call and find out if they're getting any in.

Armscorp might have some in:
    http://armscorpusa.com/Products/magazine.html

Otherwise, check DSA for new mags.
    http://www.dsarms.com/products.asp?dept=19

You could always check the www.falfiles.com marketplace for a source of new FAL mags. Though, the used ones I've bought in the past have all been in very good condition...

Most of the new FAL mags you see out there are imported (Imbel, IMI).
    Last edited by NineseveN; July 24th, 2008 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    I just ordered a RRA LAR-8 which accepts FAL mags, and I'm wondering if there are any companies out there producing new FAL mags? I've searched, but have only been able to find beat up old ones.

Try DSA for refinished mags
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

I got mine from CDNN but that has been a few years ago. IIRC, they still have them.
    Also, I don't think you'll actually find "new" magazines for a FAL. I don't think the FAL is standard issue anywhere in the world anymore and there are enough surplus mags around that it probably won't be profitable for someone to tool up and make them.
    But there are excellent condition new-in-wrap FAL magazines around that are about as good.
    I've also bought some used magazines from DSA. I think the price is something like $7 each for them and the ones I had were all in good, useable shape. A few of them were even very close to unused.

(Allegheny County)

I've bought dozens of the used Steyr FAL 20 Round Steel Metric Mags from DSA and never had a problem with them.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the help, guys. After some debate, I decided to cancel the order for the RRA LAR-8, and go with an ArmaLite AR-10 104AC which does not use FAL mags.

Proud member of:

Thanks for the help, guys. After some debate, I decided to cancel the order for the RRA LAR-8, and go with an ArmaLite AR-10 104AC which does not use FAL mags.

Cheap surplus FAL mags are the reason the RRA LAR-8 was created. Many people dont want to spend the $50 for the Armalite proprietary mags.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    Cheap surplus FAL mags are the reason the RRA LAR-8 was created. Many people dont want to spend the $50 for the Armalite proprietary mags.
    Yeah, I understand that. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to track down good quality magazines however small of a hassle that may be.

Proud member of:

Default I'd take a little more time to think this over...

Yeah, I understand that. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to track down good quality magazines however small of a hassle that may be.
    In all seriousness, I've never had an issue with any FAL magazine I've owned. They were made for the militaries of the world for use by men who absolutely needed them to work.
    My experience has been that unissued military magazines are practically new.
    I'd trust an unissued military magazine over just about anything made for the commercial market. Even a used one with no finish left will still probably work better than many new commercial magazines.
    Good FAL magazines are not hard to track down. If anything, they'e one of the easiest magazines to find right now.
    DSA has good used magazines for $7 each right now so you could get 8 of them for the price of one AR-10 magazine. They have Ex. condition for $12 each, which still puts you at 5 for one AR-10 magazine.

If it's not a done deal, you might try spending $10-$15 on an unissued magazine from somewhere before you buy any rifle.
    Then you'll know that you're getting good magazines.
    As I said, I've bought from both DSA and CDNN and they're both good companies with no BS policies. Both have sent me replacements with no questions before (magazines for a different gun from CDNN and a part from DSA).
    In CDNN's case, the replacement got to me so fast that it must have passed the defective magazine in the mail!
    So if you got a magazine that wasn't satisfactory they'd work to make you happy. Hassle is the last word I'd ever use to describe either of these companies.
    To put it as clear as I can, I'm extremely hard to satisfy with guns and accessories. They have to work absolutely PERFECTLY and be totally reliable, or I WILL get rid of them, even if it costs me a couple hundred bucks. But I've never been disappointed with a FAL magazine or with either of these companies.

It's your money, but personally, I'd put three more days of research and Q&A into it before I just hauled off bought a rifle that uses expensive proprietary magazines out of a mostly irrational fear that I'd get a bad FAL magazine.

But if you just like the Armalite better, more power to you.
    Last edited by goon; July 25th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I'd take a little more time to think this over...

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    In all seriousness, I've never had an issue with any FAL magazine I've owned. They were made for the militaries of the world for use by men who absolutely needed them to work.
    My experience has been that unissued military magazines are practically new.
    I'd trust an unissued military magazine over just about anything made for the commercial market. Even a used one with no finish left will still probably work better than many new commercial magazines.
    Good FAL magazines are not hard to track down. If anything, they'e one of the easiest magazines to find right now.
    DSA has good used magazines for $7 each right now so you could get 8 of them for the price of one AR-10 magazine. They have Ex. condition for $12 each, which still puts you at 5 for one AR-10 magazine.

If it's not a done deal, you might try spending $10-$15 on an unissued magazine from somewhere before you buy any rifle.
    Then you'll know that you're getting good magazines.
    As I said, I've bought from both DSA and CDNN and they're both good companies with no BS policies. Both have sent me replacements with no questions before (magazines for a different gun from CDNN and a part from DSA).
    In CDNN's case, the replacement got to me so fast that it must have passed the defective magazine in the mail!
    So if you got a magazine that wasn't satisfactory they'd work to make you happy. Hassle is the last word I'd ever use to describe either of these companies.
    To put it as clear as I can, I'm extremely hard to satisfy with guns and accessories. They have to work absolutely PERFECTLY and be totally reliable, or I WILL get rid of them, even if it costs me a couple hundred bucks. But I've never been disappointed with a FAL magazine or with either of these companies.

It's your money, but personally, I'd put three more days of research and Q&A into it before I just hauled off bought a rifle that uses expensive proprietary magazines out of a mostly irrational fear that I'd get a bad FAL magazine.

But if you just like the Armalite better, more power to you.
    It's not necessarily a fear that they wont work. I have no doubts that most will function flawlessly.

I'm not quite sure how to explain my decision, but I hate buying used merchandise. If I buy a bunch of FAL mags, and they are beat up and don't look good, that's going to bother me. I know, I know, that's a really superficial reason, but I have a lot of pride when it comes to my firearms, so I want them looking their best.

In addition to that, the LAR-8 was just released a short time ago, and I'm a little cautious about buying something that was just released. ArmaLite's AR-10's have been around longer and seem to be well liked by all who own them. So, I ultimately decided to go ArmaLite.

Proud member of: