Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Having a Gun at My Business??

First: sorry if this has already been addressed. If so, please direct me to where I can find the answer.
    If I have a gun at my business, how liable am I for any of my empolyees actions if they were to come across it and do something bad? I have good employees and don't think anything like that would happen, but I'm just curious and want to get some answers before I make the desicion to have a gun at the store.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Having a Gun at My Business??

what type of store is it? can you install a safe there? etc.. we need a little more info.. In my opinion i think the gun locked in a case would be fine.. or to be brought with you to work and taken home at the end of your shift. etc.. but ill let others answer as i have no credientials in the law.. but thats my suggestion. Take care

Cory

(Lancaster County)

I own the business. It is a manufacturing/production shop, but we also have a storefront with a showroom and retail hours (all in the same building). The gun would be kept in a desk drawer or in a holster attached under a desk top in the front office/showroom where my office area is. I would bring the gun in every morning and take it home with me every night. The gun would be for protection against robberies, particularly early in the morning and late in the evening when I'm the only one or one of the only ones in.

I'm no lawyer, but it is almost impossible to give a straight answer on that question there are just to many what ifs and do we really ever know how a court case could end in the US anymore?

My suggestion would be to carry it on your person, that is the only way of always knowing where your firearm is. If you don't want to carry that way I would get a safe just to make sure the wrong person doesn't get a hold of it, although when you need it its not exactly ready so thats a big downside.

(Berks County)

Why not keep it on you?? Then you will have less of a worry of unauthorized people using it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle09027 View Post
    Why not keep it on you?? Then you will have less of a worry of unauthorized people using it.
    My thoughts exactly there is no more secure a place for your firearm then on you. If it is tucked away napping peacefully on you hip the risk of your employees finding it and using it are non existent.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    My thoughts exactly there is no more secure a place for your firearm then on you. If it is tucked away napping peacefully on you hip the risk of your employees finding it and using it are non existent.

And just for the OP's info (if not known already), no LTCF is needed in your own business.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3030 View Post
    First: sorry if this has already been addressed. If so, please direct me to where I can find the answer.
    If I have a gun at my business, how liable am I for any of my empolyees actions if they were to come across it and do something bad? I have good employees and don't think anything like that would happen, but I'm just curious and want to get some answers before I make the desicion to have a gun at the store.
    Welcome

the optimum solution to this issue would be to have 2 guns if possible.

gun on at your desk where you can access it but keep it out of sight.

take a look at this link:

http://www.sshmi.com/

Gun number two is kept holsterd on your person. While Im at my office I wear that gun out in the open so that it can be seen.

Now what my wife is carrying while she works with me you wont see until she draws it

As far as liability is concerned the faster the theft is discovered and reported the better. It would be a good idea to install a surveilance cam to keep track of who is coming out of your office besides YOU.

Good luck and stay safe
    gotta love her ;)