Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good database of posted locations in PA?

I only recently discovered this forum. I plan on visiting from NC, and it has been helpful in acquainting me with firearms laws in PA. I have a NC concealed carry permit, which I am pleased to see is honored in PA, and I plan on carrying concealed on my upcoming visit. I am attending a wedding in Bensalem and squeezing in some visits to Lancaster County and Valley Forge.

Around North Carolina, the "Posted" smartphone app has an amazingly complete database of posted locations. The information is crowd-sourced, with users entering posted locations they encounter.

Is "Posted" pretty accurate for Pennsylvania, especially the Philly area, Lancaster County, and the Gettysburg area? Is there another source you would recommend?

Thanks from a soon-to-be visitor.

NC Jake

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Good database of posted locations in PA?

Having gone on cross country trips with my sidearm. I made it a point to either mail a letter or send an e-mail to the particular state's Office of the State Attorney General requesting verification that my carry permit will be honored. I also printed out the pertinent pages from the official state website regarding concealed carry and all off limit places and carried all of the information on a binder for quick reference just in case I was pulled over. (State/local cops actually do not know all of the laws pertaining to firearms. What a surprise.).

This is a quick centralized reference source:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Try the Shoofly pie.

P.S. I am not an attorney, but a lot of commercial places will be posted off limits to CCW due to liability concerns, but they don't go out of their way to put the signs up in very obvious places. (My local mall has a single line about no weapons allowed on grounds in their code of conduct sign 100 yards into the mall itself). Concealed means concealed. Unless you're printing or flashing your sidearm, nobody should even know you're carrying. And the most they will do is tell you to leave or it's a criminal trespass charge.
    Last edited by TravelerII; July 6th, 2015 at 11:41 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I will check this site out occasionally, but it's not very compete: http://friendorfoe.us/

The reason is likely because signs in PA don't carry as much weight as they do in NC. You will likely see very few, if any, signs during your trip here. Unlike NC, where I believe carrying into a posted area is an automatic criminal offense (can you please comment on this?), the worst you're doing here is trespassing and would have to leave if discovered and asked.

Read this thOugh and stick to it:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=7582

Enjoy your trip!

TravelerII, jthrelf,

Thank you very much for your replies. I have used handgunlaw.us extensively and know the kinds of places that were forbidden by statute in PA. Places that were posted by choice of the owner were what had me worried. Yes, here in North Carolina those signs carry force of law and as such are of great concern to concealed carry permit holders. While concealed is concealed, it does not take much imagination to think of cases in which one's firearm would be discovered. Knowing how "posted" works in PA is a great relief.

Thanks, too, for noting the link between the differences in law on the lower prevalence of "posted" signs. As I looked at the "Posted" app, at 2AFriendly.com, and at friendorfoe.us (the site just mentioned), I was surprised just how few locations were flagged. Now I know it is not just a matter of differences in reporting by gun owners. If indeed PA gun owners are less likely to report signs, it is only because the signs are not so important as in NC. Down here, we obsess about having good lists. I wish our laws on posted locations were closer to yours.

I appreciate the great info and good advice.

(Northampton County)

I've seen one and know of two others. Lab Corp, Buffalo Wild Wings, and I've heard Ikea is extremely anti-gun.

You probably won't run into any signs except for post offices, etc. And, as you note, it's probably not as big of a deal as it is in NC. You could be cited for trespass, which could be minor or serious, but it's very unlikely IMO.

I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth.

(Jefferson County)

Friendorfoe is probably the bigger database of posted places. Although there might be some "apps" for mobile devices that show more(I don't get into the mobile stuff).

But what you'll find with PA is, and somewhat mentioned by ungawa above, PA typically isn't a focus for such listings. Overall PA tends to be more pro-gun than FL or TX, and isn't as crippled as most other states that have tons of statutory off-limits places. And the fact that No Guns signs don't have a direct prohibiter like TX, OH, NC, and many others. ...PA law indirectly relies on the Trespass codes.

From the MD line to the upper end of Elk County, and from State College westward to the OH line I think I've only seen about 10 places that post "No Guns" - most of which are malls run by the liberal Zamias family out of Johnstown. (I used to eat lunch with the old man, George Zamias, and I can tell you he is liberal, but not totally anti-gun. His one son is flaming fucking liberal and anti-gun. ...the whole family works for the old man.)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I've seen one and know of two others. Lab Corp, Buffalo Wild Wings, and I've heard Ikea is extremely anti-gun.

You probably won't run into any signs except for post offices, etc. And, as you note, it's probably not as big of a deal as it is in NC. You could be cited for trespass, which could be minor or serious, but it's very unlikely IMO.

I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth.
    Didn't know about Lab Corp. The one in Springfield Delco is not posted.

(Montgomery County)

Also PAFOA is a good resource for posted places. You can search the establishment's name to see if there is a thread already created on here about it. Or creating one yourself will likely result in a quick response from the community.

(Bucks County)

I use an App called "GunFreeZone" it is updated by users of the app, and I find it very useful.
    It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it is hilarious.

(Warren County)

Another factor.... open carry is legal in PA, with some caveats. The biggest caveat is if you have a LTCF (CCW for all Y'all outta staters) you are good to go for vehicle carry, carry in Philly and OC during a state of Emergency.

So there's no such problem as "printing".

We've coined the term "Casual carry", where we conceal, kinda sorta halfassed, and not much of anybody gets twisted about it.

And there's no "brandishing" law here either. However, drawing without a damn good reason could get you in trouble.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast