Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carrying a firearm when your not hunting

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I found this forum today and thought it be the perfect place to have my long standing question answered. I have asked this question to many folks, including gun shop owners and LEO in PA and I always get a different answer. I dont trust the info online because sometimes its not current. So maybe I could narrow it down by posting my question here..

OK, I'm planning on going on a solo hike in the Michaux State forest soon. I go a few times a year. I have an M6 Scout Survival Rifle that I've been wanting to take with me but seeings how Ive never gotten a strait answer, Ive always sided with caution, and left it behind. I don't want problems in another state regarding a firearm. I wont be hunting, I just want the rifle "just in case" because I will be alone for a long period of time. I wont be sticking to the AP trail. I use my map and compass and travel cross country, making my own way so running into someone will probably not happen unless I just stepped off or I have returned to my vehicle..

So is it legal for a person from another state to carry a long firearm on state property for protection/emergency use outside of hunting season in PA?

TIA..

Rucksack

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Carrying a firearm when your not hunting

personally thats a great question. i would like to hear more... im sure one of our guys will know

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rucksack View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm new here. I found this forum today and thought it be the perfect place to have my long standing question answered. I have asked this question to many folks, including gun shop owners and LEO in PA and I always get a different answer. I dont trust the info online because sometimes its not current. So maybe I could narrow it down by posting my question here..

OK, I'm planning on going on a solo hike in the Michaux State forest soon. I go a few times a year. I have an M6 Scout Survival Rifle that I've been wanting to take with me but seeings how Ive never gotten a strait answer, Ive always sided with caution, and left it behind. I don't want problems in another state regarding a firearm. I wont be hunting, I just want the rifle "just in case" because I will be alone for a long period of time. I wont be sticking to the AP trail. I use my map and compass and travel cross country, making my own way so running into someone will probably not happen unless I just stepped off or I have returned to my vehicle..

So is it legal for a person from another state to carry a long firearm on state property for protection/emergency use outside of hunting season in PA?

TIA..

Rucksack
    The answer to your question is NO, you are out of luck..... It would be legal to have a firearm IF you were hunting with proper license and in season, also the park or area where you would have the firearm would have to be open for hunting, NOT all state park are open for hunting.

Read it for yourself
    DCNR - section 11.215
    (pages 14-15) read all of the regulations, lots of others than could apply as well.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...wrulesregs.pdf

Also read the criminal defiant tresspassing part, which could apply to you if you are caught beside a citation.

Welcome to the forums BTW

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    The answer to your question is NO, you are out of luck..... It would be legal to have a firearm IF you were hunting with proper license and in season, also the park or area where you would have the firearm would have to be open for hunting, NOT all state park are open for hunting.

Read it for yourself
    DCNR - section 11.215
    (pages 14-15) read all of the regulations, lots of others than could apply as well.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...wrulesregs.pdf

Also read the criminal defiant tresspassing part, which could apply to you if you are caught beside a citation.

Welcome to the forums BTW
    that all applies only to state parks, though.

the OP asked about a state forest.

you can legally carry your gun in a state forest in PA (but not in a state park...and that difference is prolly one of the things that gives rise to the all the confusion and contradictory answers you have gotten in the past.)

there is a goofy game law saying that having a gun in the woods is prima facia evidence of hunting, though. so, if a game warden wanted to be a dick, he might try to say you are illegally hunting. you would win in court, but it might still be a PIA. (hopefully, there aren't actually any a-hole game wardens out there that would try this, but you never know.)

at any rate, i have been hiking in state forests my whole life--and open carrying guns while doing it...i have literally never come across a game warden outside of hunting season.

(also, just be aware that you cannot have a loaded long-gun in a car in PA. it must be unloaded and the ammo stored in a separate container...or, in the case of a container with multiple compartments, a separate compartment.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; July 24th, 2008 at 04:23 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for pointing that out LTR, unfortunately the DCNR still has jurisdiction over state forest lands with there stupid anti-gun regulations.
    So the answer is still NO.

Here is the one for state forest lands.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/general.aspx

§ 21.63 Hunting and trapping. . Hunting and trapping on State Forest land are permitted in accordance with 34 Pa. C.S. (relating to Game and Wildlife Code) and rules and regulations, unless otherwise posted.

§ 21.64. Fishing. Fishing in waters on State Forest land is permitted in accordance with 30 Pa. C.S. (relating to Fish and Boat Code) and rules and regulations, unless otherwise posted.

§ 21.65. Target shooting. . Target shooting with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles and causing injury to persons or property is prohibited except where authorized by the District Forester or a designee.

§ 21.80. Trespass.
    (a) A person who violates this chapter or disregards instructions or warnings given by a State Forest officer or interferes with a State Forest officer in the performance of the duties of the officer may be ordered to leave State Forest land.
    (b) A person who refuses to leave State Forest land, after receiving an order to leave from a State Forest officer, commits an act of criminal trespass under 18 Pa.C.S. § 3503(b) (relating to criminal trespass).
    Last edited by WhiteFeather; July 24th, 2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

(Bucks County)

get a florida or utah ltcf and carry a pistol... rifles are bulky to carry while ur camping/backpacking and pistols can be loaded on your hip in case of animal attack(best to get a ltcf even though open carry is legal in pa without a liscense)
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out LTR, unfortunately the DCNR still has jurisdiction over state forest lands with there stupid anti-gun regulations.
    So the answer is still NO.

Here is the one for state forest lands.

none of those bar carrying a gun in a state forest, though. only shooting.

and the original citation really does apply only to state parks (as is stated in the text of the regulations), not all land controlled by DCNR.

you really can carry a gun in a state forest...there is no law or regulation that says you cannot.

(York County)

Doesn't sound like your having any better luck finding a definative answer here either, huh. I don't think you would have much of a problem anyway, but as for legal vs illegal, I really don't know. I've heard it both ways. I'd just call the Pa DCNR and go with what ever they say. Or just carry something like a .22 pistol, the argument that you were NOT hunting may be easier to make with a small caliber pistol than a long gun.

Dave
    3%

(Adams County)

Wonderful State Forest!---------------MICHAUX.

I guess the 'out of state thing' is the whole problem.
    Go to the office on Rt30 about a mile or so east of Rt 233.
    Going east on 30 it will be on your left side.
    They can answer all your questions.

DCNR BUREAU OF FORESTRY
    10099 Lincoln Way East
    Fayetteville Pa. 17222-9609
    717-352-2211

( I have walked that part of the Appalachian Trail--I know how you feel)

~SAFETY FIRST~
    Bill------------------------->
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

(Allegheny County)

at the risk of sounding like a pompous ass, there is a way to get a definitive answer.

read through all of this...

...and note that there is nothing that specifically bars carrying a gun in a state forest--which means you are simply subject to the general state laws on carrying (which means an out of stater can open carry without an LTCF as long as the state forest is not in philly...a state forest in philly--kind of a funny concept. )

you will not find any regulations that specifically say you *can* carry in a state forest....just like you will not find any state statutes specifically stating that you *can* open carry in general.

however, since there is no regulation against it, it is allowed. just like breathing in a state forest is allowed because there is no regulation against it.

anyway, calling the DCNR isn't a bad idea...assuming whoever answer the phone actually knows what they are talking about. (of course, if you ask a lot of LEOs in PA, they will wrongly tell you OC is illegal, so...)

anyway, i am really not trying to come off as a jerk or anything, but there just plain is not any DCNR regulation or state statute against carrying in a state forest (including OCing without an LTCF). therefore, it is legal.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; July 24th, 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast