Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Why did police departments use revolvers for so long, with the 1911 available?

It seems like an easy choice. If I were a cop after the introduction of the 1911 in the military, I'd want that over the .38, and .357 revolvers that were standard issue for the police, up to the late 80s. Why did they pass up the 1911, for 6 rounds of .35 cal ammo? My 1911 is my favorite pistol so, I'm biased, but it can get more battle proven than the 1911.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Why did police departments use revolvers for so long, with the 1911 available?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang GT500 View Post
    It seems like an easy choice. If I were a cop after the introduction of the 1911 in the military, I'd want that over the .38, and .357 revolvers that were standard issue for the police, up to the late 80s. Why did they pass up the 1911, for 6 rounds of .35 cal ammo? My 1911 is my favorite pistol so, I'm biased, but it can get more battle proven than the 1911.
    I came in during that transition era. Some did carry 1911's. At the time the police wanted to avoid having a military appearance, this was one reason they stayed with revolvers. Another was the 6 for sure philosophy.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Why did police departments use revolvers for so long, with the 1911 available?

Probably due to training issues as the 1911 likely requires more practice to be proficient with than a revolver, as well as safety issues since the revolvers would be DA/SA instead of SA only as the 1911. And with proper speed loaders, or better yet, moon clips, then you can quickly reload a revolver with almost the same speed as a semi, some faster with practice.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Chester County)

Probably because revolvers were cheaper.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I came in during that transition era. Some did carry 1911's. At the time the police wanted to avoid having a military appearance, this was one reason they stayed with revolvers. Another was the 6 for sure philosophy.
    Interesting. Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post
    Probably due to training issues as the 1911 likely requires more practice to be proficient with than a revolver, as well as safety issues since the revolvers would be DA/SA instead of SA only as the 1911. And with proper speed loaders, or better yet, moon clips, then you can quickly reload a revolver with almost the same speed as a semi, some faster with practice.
    Sort of like a, if it isn't broke, don't fix it type of situation.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Probably because revolvers were cheaper.
    That's a possibility.

(Berks County)

The 357 is "more gun" then the 45. Give a cop a hi cap and he will shoot 17 times. You are a product of current times OP and you see things through that lense. Ammunition has changed. We have more then cast lead and hard ball. The old fmj 45 isn't great. Revolvers were more accurate for a long time. There was no plastic frames. Revolvers were lighter.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    The 357 is "more gun" then the 45. Give a cop a hi cap and he will shoot 17 times. You are a product of current times OP and you see things through that lense. Ammunition has changed. We have more then cast lead and hard ball. The old fmj 45 isn't great. Revolvers were more accurate for a long time. There was no plastic frames. Revolvers were lighter.
    .357 may be more speedy than the .45 ACP, but it's a pellet in comparison, come on now.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang GT500 View Post
    .357 may be more speedy than the .45 ACP, but it's a pellet in comparison, come on now.
    The .357 was the king of the hill in regards to service calibers for a long time. Advances in modern bullets have leveled the playing field somewhat.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast