Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: New to 1911's, Need help!

DONE. That was easy....Now all I need is a plunger tube staking tool and I will be heading to the range!
    IMG_0913.JPGIMG_0914.JPG
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Monroe County)

Looks great! What slide stop is that?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck View Post
    Looks great! What slide stop is that?
    Wilson Combat extended slide stop, stainless

Looks good Ian, I do this for living and 1911's can be very tricky when you run into to tolerance stacking and fitting issues. Let us know how it runs, things can look good in the hand and choke on the range. Be sure to do only a 2 round first mag just in case you have any sear/disconnector/hammer ratchet pad and firing pin saftey issues.

I have 18 guns on the rack waiting for my attention (nine of them 1911's, one is the PFOA Free Trigger Job Winner, like us on Facebook to enter for the Jan 1sy 2016 drawing) and more coming tomorrow, so havent been around the site or I would have thrown you an answer. I just cant say too much for liability reasons, being a gunsmith.

A few quick tips if you are going to be fitting and tuning 1911's. Get the Power Custom Model 1 fixture, a bottle of ****m (worth its weight gold, once you use it sharpies and smoke marking will be a thing of the past) and a good set of small fine swiss files, not Harbor Freight junk, but a good swiss made set and a 6" brown and white stone . You dont have to sink 10K into and entire shop, with shelves of if you do one or two a year these will be every premium tool, fixture, jig, etc, etc.

If that pistol runs 100% after your first parts build (you used some good stuff from the looks of it) that was an accomplishment, I get a "bag of 1911" fairly often from guys who have attempted to do it, again, and again, etc.

Hope range day is a good one.

-Les at SPG-

(Chester County)

Hey SPG,

Just figured I'd let you know that range day was a blast! (Thankfully not in a bad way) I had to adjust the sights down to almosssstt flush, but after, MAN. THAT THING IS ACCURACTE AS HELL. And Holy God that's a sweet trigger (I'm used to striker mush).

I do have one question for you though. About around 150 round or so, I started getting FTF's. This was with both factory PERFECTA and reloads (200gr. RN). Hollow points fed fine up until then too.

The gun was dirty. How sensitive is the 1911 to a long range day? I know its got tight tolerances, but so tight a layer of residue will cause misfeeds?

(Berks County)

More lube. Tight competition bulls eye guns don't get cleaned just oiled until they fling crud everywhere. I don't agree with it but I don't shoot bulls eye and I don't want oil on my clothes.

(Chester County)

Ha! What? You don't like polka dotted clothes?

Thanks though! I've been using frog lube but I think I need something more wet.

(Berks County)

I would run her wet until she is broken in. Then oil the rotating parts and grease the reciprocating parts. Great job getting it together and functioning well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12