Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default FNX45 Tactical.....slide not locking back

Took my FNX45 Tactical out for the first time this week. Only shot 100 rounds of WWB but few if any of the times did the slide stay back after the last round was fired. I know the springs are quite stout for this firearm and this may be part of the reason this was happening at least until the gun is broken in. Anyone else have this issue with this gun in this regard?

I should note that the gun ran flawlessly in every other way.
    Last edited by ShooterInPA1; July 5th, 2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Chester County)

Default Re: FNX45 Tactical.....slide not locking back

Watch where you put your thumbs. If they're on a position familiar to one of your older guns (the ones where you have already conditioned muscle memory) and instead, you have them positioned on the slide release lever on the left hand side, the slide will never lock back.

Even just light pressure will affect your ability to have the slide lock back.

How do I know? I carried a Wilson CQB for years and then switched to a PPQ mostly because there were more rounds in the bucket. Had the same problem until one of the resident experts here viewed the way I was holding the gun and saw my thumb on the slide release lever on the left side of the gun.

His suggestion was to either mill the lever flatter so my thumbs wouldn't affect it, or just retrain the positioning of my thumbs.

So I retrained the positioning of my thumbs.

Hope this helps.
    - bamboomaster

(York County)

Default Re: FNX45 Tactical.....slide not locking back

Assuming the slide locks back on an empty mag when racked by hand...I bet it is just new springs needing broken in, and the WWB target ammo doesn't have enough juice to lock it back. I would clean it, and lube it well, then run some hotter ammo and see what that does.