Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winner of the Sheaffer Precision Gunworks free 1911 Trigger Job

PFOA members,

The winner of our free 1911 trigger job is
    Jeff O'Brien, congrats Jeff.

Thanks to everyone that entered the drawing. Jeff will have his 1911 trigger replaced with and ED Brown Match trigger and the sear, disconnector and hammer surfaces will be tuned to a high quality, crisp trigger pull. Trigger travel and bow fit will be adjusted and optimized.

For those of you who did not enter or win, there will be a second drawing held on 1/1/2016 to welcome the new year. Simply "like" the Sheaffer Precision Gunworks Facebook page and FB message me that you want to enter thats all it takes. Good luck to everyone for the next drawing.

For gunsmithing, firearms and consulting services visit us at www.sheafferprecisiongunworks.com

-Les at SPG-
    Last edited by SheafferPrecisionGunworks; July 6th, 2015 at 07:14 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: Winner of the Sheaffer Precision Gunworks free 1911 Trigger Job

Wow, that's me!! But now you guys know my alter ego. I won't bust on anyone for spelling my last name wrong :-)

Thanks so much Les, now I've got to figure out which 1911 ? Do I alter a 1940 Colt that's been passed down since WWII, or one of a Ruger SR1911 matched pair, OR do I need to find something that is a step up from the Rugers? Any suggestions fellow PAFOA'ers??

Thanks again Les!!

Jeff O'
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Sorry Brian.....Brain....might have been spell check.

I would not suggest altering that 1940 Colt unless its already altered and there is no chance you will ever sell it, ever.

I can always sell you a good 1911 and slick it up for free......

Call me tomorrow and we can figure out whats best and schedule your free work.

Les at SPG

(Berks County)

Got to second the don't do the colt, they are bankrupt and possibly going out of buisness. The value will crash on an altered gun like that. Go buy a new gun.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Got to second the don't do the colt, they are bankrupt and possibly going out of buisness. The value will crash on an altered gun like that. Go buy a new gun.
    I agree, I'll keep the colt all original. Any recommendations on a new one, or is my Ruger SR1911 worthy of the work?

Well Mr. O'Brien (got it right this time I think) what I would reccomend would depend on your intent. If its to buy a nice $900 to $1200 pistol and just do the trigger a Springfield Loaded (already has ambi safeties and tritium sights) is good one as well as the Kimber TLE II to name just two. If your intent is to buy a real stripped down pistol that wont require alot of frame and slide work to be upgraded but needs better sights, internals and some fitting, the Springfield RO, Kimber Custom II or STI Spartan are decent choices. There are so many great options out there, I have only worked on about 25 different brands or so........

Regarding the Ruger, its a decent pistol with nice features, especially for the price. I have one in the shop I am working and the slide to frame fit is very good and I like the integral safety / slide release spring tube body. That said, the internals are quite rough and its a cast frame. So, yours would benefit from the work to be sure, as for if you want to use your free service there, well, thats up to you.

Either way I can sell you a nice pistol and tune it up or work on your current guns, I have you covered.

Give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss it.

-Les at SPG-

PS: I am not sure Colt will go away, I think its quite possible we will see it come out of bankrupcy, or we may see investors come in take the company over as has been done with others with mixed results. Its too bad as Colt is an american firearms icon, but, they neglected the commercial side of the industry way too long and are reaping what they have sown.

(York County)

Just a quick update to let you guys know what great work Les does at SPG! I poke with him on the phone and I set up a time to drop off one of my 1911's for the trigger job I had won, and I figured as long as I'm going, I'll have him take a look at a 1911 commander too, which was denting brass. I arrive on time, we sit down, and Les goes through some of the finer points of a 1911, explaining what he will do to make the gun better. I learned more in that hour from him then I ever thought possible.

Just two or three weeks later and I get the call, both guns are finished and ready to go. I meet Les after work, we chat about what he found and he shows me some before and after pictures. He explained how he tuned the ejectors and extractors, replaced a few springs, polished the trigger bars, etc. Even just a dry fire and the triggers are silky smooth. I pay my bill for the commander (which was extremely reasonable) and I hit the road, excited to try these babies out!

The following morning I ran 50 round through each. All I can say is wow!!! Triggers are crisp, smooth, short, and break perfectly. Even my .45 brass lands in a perfect little pile! If you guys haven't shot a gun that's been tuned by an expert give it a try. You will not be disappointed, and I would recommend Les and SPG to anyone within the central PA and Allentown area. I can't say enough good things about his workmanship and customer service.

Congrats! Good to see a Dover man win something!
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Congrats! Good to see a Dover man win something!
    Swing by the farm, check out his work, and put some lead down range this weekend! It's just a joy to shoot.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Just a quick update to let you guys know what great work Les does at SPG! I poke with him on the phone and I set up a time to drop off one of my 1911's for the trigger job I had won, and I figured as long as I'm going, I'll have him take a look at a 1911 commander too, which was denting brass. I arrive on time, we sit down, and Les goes through some of the finer points of a 1911, explaining what he will do to make the gun better. I learned more in that hour from him then I ever thought possible.

Just two or three weeks later and I get the call, both guns are finished and ready to go. I meet Les after work, we chat about what he found and he shows me some before and after pictures. He explained how he tuned the ejectors and extractors, replaced a few springs, polished the trigger bars, etc. Even just a dry fire and the triggers are silky smooth. I pay my bill for the commander (which was extremely reasonable) and I hit the road, excited to try these babies out!

The following morning I ran 50 round through each. All I can say is wow!!! Triggers are crisp, smooth, short, and break perfectly. Even my .45 brass lands in a perfect little pile! If you guys haven't shot a gun that's been tuned by an expert give it a try. You will not be disappointed, and I would recommend Les and SPG to anyone within the central PA and Allentown area. I can't say enough good things about his workmanship and customer service.
    Sounds like he's a good gunsmith and a good businessman, since he just got you to give him 10 grand of good PR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast