Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default P226 round not chambering

So tonight I came back from downtown Pittsburgh and it was kind of raining. I picked up a clean kit literally yesterday because I'm away from home and want to be able to keep the firearm spotless. Here's my question:

I ejected a round after dropping out the mag and noticed the bullet was kind of beat. It happens, it's always my first round I put back in. So I thought let's re-rack just to see what the next round looks like. I reinserted the magazine and that's when the slide did not fully clothes with the round chambered; instead, the round got stuck. I tried this numerous times in the sameissue. I'm going to post pictures in a few minutes once I log onto my computer. Anybody have any idea what this could mean? Is something faulty with the firearm? It's practically brand new >500 rounds and cleaned once like 2 weeks ago hasn't been fired since. I wanted to re clean because it's my carry now and this is something I want to avoid should I ever need it. Thanks

As a side note, I noticed something was off when I was chambering around because I could actually feel the round "catching" as it was being chambered and it did not feel smooth as it always did before. The rounds look like they have a ring on them where it's catching. Any help would be great.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: P226 round not chambering

This many views and nobody knows anything about the failure to feed?

(Chester County)

Have you tried using a new magazine to chamber a round? In my experience a lot of pistol failures are due to faulty magazines. Are you using a OEM sig mag?

(Lehigh County)

Yes I have 3 OEM .40/.357 mags and they all do the same thing. All the same type of .40 rounds are being used. Not JHP I forget what they are. I've only ever inserted one magazine into the pistol until last night when I cycled through all of the rounds in each magazine.

(Berks County)

Sounds like an ammo issue if you're seeing rings on the previously chambered rounds.

Have you removed the barrel and tried to just put rounds in the chamber? Do they seat easily? Are you using commercial ammo, remanufactured, handloads? I've had commercial ammo that wouldn't feed in my PPQ. Even a very slight bulge that's barely noticeable can cause a round to not seat in the chamber of some pistols.

(Lehigh County)

I've had these rounds and no issues chambering previously. Does that matter? They are commercial rounds; I'm not nearly experienced to hand load rounds yet.

I have removed the barrel and they seat easily when in there. Some of the rounds will chamber when I release the slide but I feel the round "catching" as in it doesn't chamber smoothly like I used to feel. When I cycle through the magazine they will all "catch" and some will chamber but some have a failure to feed. Could it be something with the firearm? I've never experienced this issue before. I haven't cleaned the firearm yet because I want to find out with it could be first.

Only 3 out of 36 rounds have ever been chambered before last night and now I'm having an issue with 3 different, never-before-used mags or rounds. What could be wrong with the firearm? Not clean enough? Lubed oiled etc

(Chester County)

I'd lube the feed ramp up a bit and see if that helps. Do you have a spare guide rod assembly? If your gun has less than 500 rdns through it, your spring should still be good but thats worth a shot. I would feild strip, lube, make sure guide rod is positioned correctly and re test. If still getting issues it's probably with your guide rod spring or feed ramp.

You mentioned you haven't cleaned it. With only 500 rounds through it, cleaning probably isn't the issue. More important is lubrication. Do you have lube on the rails & barrel? Put some grease in the rails of the slide, frame & outer surface of the barrel, then cycle the slide a few times. That could be the problem, but it doesn't explain the "ring" on the rounds that don't chamber.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Elk County)

10 hrs after the first post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sigpauer View Post
    This many views and nobody knows anything about the failure to feed?

The first post included this:

. . . I'm going to post pictures in a few minutes once I log onto my computer . . .

13 hrs have passed and no pics, which would help greatly with diagnosing a problem from a distance. There's an old saying that one should never more more concerned about another person's problem than that person is. Had you been concerned enough about your SIG problem to post photos, perhaps the response would have been more useful.

Criticism aside, are you easing the slide forward by hand, or "slingshotting" the slide by letting go with the slide all the way to the rear, allowing the slide to chamber the round under recoil spring force alone?

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lehigh County)

Sorry, totally agree with you. Unfortunately, I fell asleep after a long work day and just returned home from Pittsburgh and with a couple stops that was 7 hours. No excuses though. The pictures of what happened along with the collateral to the rounds are attached below. are these rounds with the "rings" still good to be used? the rounds I'm using are the Fiocchi 170 grain in this instance (just picked up Federal 180 which I'm accustomed to shooting and also have JHP that I keep at home i.e. travel in NJ so not really good to have on you at all but that's a completely different thread)

I don't have a spare guide rod assembly so I can't test that unfortunately. I have lubed up the rails and all and cycled and still getting this issue.

Additionally, and interesting enough, I used the manual method of racking the slide by pulling it back and "slingshotting" it and also used the lever to rack the slide and it can happen either way, but when I ease it forward with my hand and guide the round it doesn't happen. Weird, right?IMG_2987.JPGIMG_2988.JPGIMG_2989.JPGIMG_2990.JPGIMG_2991.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast