Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Can you get a license to carry a firearm after an expungement

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Do we want purportedly ex-burglars to have guns?
    One that turned their life around? Sure doesn't bother me. Prohibitions are not very effective. I guess it seems like common sense but is it really? The argument that we shouldn't make it easy or throw our hands in the air in defeatism in my opinion is an emotional response to something more complex than that. Especially when we are constantly saying gun control and gun free zones simply don't work.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    One that turned their life around? Sure doesn't bother me. Prohibitions are not very effective. I guess it seems like common sense but is it really? The argument that we shouldn't make it easy or throw our hands in the air in defeatism in my opinion is an emotional response to something more complex than that. Especially when we are constantly saying gun control and gun free zones simply don't work.
    No, I agree with you on principal. I just can't make that desision without knowing the person. I guess if your good enough to get the expungement, you should be ok.

(Philadelphia County)

Do we want purportedly ex-burglars to have guns?
    I understand your argument definitely a fair one to make. I can't speak for anyone else except on my character and conduct I have worked on an ambulance in the 911 sector for eight and half years and two years in the private sector. I serve the community in the best of my ability helping the youth that's heading in the wrong direction. I am a Prince Hall Freemason and apart of many charitable events for the less fortunate. Every year I give my time to an elementary school in the city of Philadelphia for their boys to men mentor day teaching kids ages 7-12 how to act in public, speak to fellow classmates, teachers, and adults, how to be respectful toward their parents, CPR training, table manners, different career paths, the importance of education and how to properly dress. I have received awards from The City Council of Philadelphia, The Senate Committee, and the House of Representatives for my charity work and community service to the city of Philadelphia. I think that shows everyone I have turned my life around immediately since the incident occurred and as far as my crime is concerned I didn't commit the crime was done by the people that were at a party with me but was charged because I kept my mouth shut. Unfortunately I screwed myself but never been arrested or even bothered by police officers since 2006 when the arrest occurred.
    Last edited by Princehall57; July 4th, 2015 at 04:30 AM.

(York County)

Are we confusing two items: trying to get an LTCF and the actual purchase of a firearm? Trying to purchase with a prohibiting offense can land you in jail, but trying to get a LTCF? I don't believe that's 'lawyer needed' territory... In fact, it may be the cheap (and safe) way to see if one with a questional history could pass a PICS check. Hopefully one of the more legally refined members will post!

I am ASSUMING OP Prince Hall has already purchased a firearm and is asking about getting a license to carry. If that's the case, he's passed PICS already, the expungement is for a non- prohibiting offense, and the only thing standing in his way is the character clause. Good luck!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Are we confusing two items: trying to get an LTCF and the actual purchase of a firearm? Trying to purchase with a prohibiting offense can land you in jail, but trying to get a LTCF? I don't believe that's 'lawyer needed' territory... In fact, it may be the cheap (and safe) way to see if one with a questional history could pass a PICS check. Hopefully one of the more legally refined members will post!

I am ASSUMING OP Prince Hall has already purchased a firearm and is asking about getting a license to carry. If that's the case, he's passed PICS already, the expungement is for a non- prohibiting offense, and the only thing standing in his way is the character clause. Good luck!
    I'm the first guy to suggest when a lawyer isn't needed, but it's incorrect to claim that making a false statement to a governmental official is without risk. It's true you avoid the state and federal charges that arise when lying to an FFL if you're only lying to the sheriff of PPD, but you're still vulnerable to a state charge if you lie to the issuing authority.

It used to be unlikely that you'd be criminally charged if you failed PICS. They made the decision to change that, to push back at the truthful NRA claim that "we hardly ever enforce the existing gun laws, why do we need more?" So today, we see a lot of people being prosecuted because they didn't know exactly what happened that time when they were teens and their folks took them someplace to be examined by a doctor. In many cases, they're facing state felony and misdemeanor counts if they were denied and filed the challenge.

So far, there have been relatively few federal prosecutions for lying to an FFL. But that could change without notice, with another Obama executive order, or just a decision from the AG. People can be, and are, criminally prosecuted twice for the same crime, once by the state, and again for the federal version. The cops who stopped Rodney King are an example.

Now, it's currently unlikely that you'll be criminally charged if you make a false statement to the sheriff. But if that changes, there won't be a big announcement ahead of time. So there's some risk. If you do your due diligence ahead of time, that can help you if you're prosecuted for either the FFL purchase attempt or an LTCF application, because if your lawyer told you that the incident was legally moot, then that is admissible to show your state of mind later.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Westmoreland County)

What I think is fantastic is that we have a mandatory system of education that by design prepares those whom submit to it to become criminals. It would not be hard to take a bit of time to instruct youths as to something so damn important that they might become a misdemeanant or felon without it, in a nation where there is one gun per person. We know what the bars to things like gun possession are, or serving on a jury, or acquiring a driver license, and we are fairly certain about the repositories of information (UJSportal, ePATCH, PennDOT's ???, and ??? and civil dockets for health commitments) to be able to familiarize our children with them, as to create a culture where this type of self-knowledge is typical, rather than special. Maybe someone got a GED and missed that class. For the rest of us, it can replace a period of instruction wherein misinformation would be given about abstract tenets of our skeleton of government. Someone has to be on the hook for knowingly and recklessly setting up these future adults for failure. And if you make a bunch of simpletons really angry without managing them well, they may strike out and riot. I fail to see the sensibility at any level.

(Philadelphia County)

Just wanted to give everyone an update my expungement was granted last Wednesday by the state of New Jersey.

(Berks County)

Fantastic news! I read your reply. It sounds like you got screwed but made it a positive in your life and those of others. Good luck and get training in the legal and physical aspects of guns and self protection.

(York County)

Good to hear! Let us know your progress with the LTCF & PICS check too.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Philadelphia County)

Fantastic news! I read your reply. It sounds like you got screwed but made it a positive in your life and those of others. Good luck and get training in the legal and physical aspects of guns and self protection.
    Thank you

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast