Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Can you get a license to carry a firearm after an expungement

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Good to hear! Let us know your progress with the LTCF & PICS check too.
    Thank you I appreciate that. It has definitely been a long road but did my best to turn a negative into a positive. I will definitely keep everyone informed in my progress.
    Last edited by Princehall57; July 10th, 2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Didn't finish typing

(Philadelphia County)

One question I had for everyone was if I go to purchase a firearm should I wait until the criminal record is off the system? My legal counsel told me once I have the signed order in hand it's official but I know if I go through with the background check to make the purchase it will be denied and then I would have to appeal the decision. Any thoughts or advice thank you in advance.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Princehall57 View Post
    One question I had for everyone was if I go to purchase a firearm should I wait until the criminal record is off the system? My legal counsel told me once I have the signed order in hand it's official but I know if I go through with the background check to make the purchase it will be denied and then I would have to appeal the decision. Any thoughts or advice thank you in advance.
    I'm not a lawyer. I had a family member attempt what you describe after a expungement as a PA resident. After the denial, the appeal, a visit from the state police and some more money to his attorney, he was eventually cleared to purchase. The cop and his lawyer both said essentially the same thing: had he waited until the expungement had made it's way through to all the parties involved (MDJ, county court, PA UJS, PSP, and eventually the FBI) that he not only would not have had to prove he did not just fib on purchase paperwork but he'd have had some shot of passing PICS with not so much as research. He now passes PICS without so much as research.

So, on an anecdotal data point of one, I'd ask your lawyer how long it typically takes the state to "circulate" the paperwork and transmit to the feds. If he tells you 6 months, apply/buy at 7.

I'll get slammed for insinuating you go the "right delayed is a right denied" route, but I'm almost willing to wager you will encounter much less resistance that way. the other thing is this: if you live in Philadelphia, you are likely to get bounced almost right off the hop getting your LTCF if you disclose or they find your background. Keep in mind that the "character and reputation" stuff is regularly abused by the Philly PD even against people who otherwise "pass" the PICS check.

Good luck.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    This is in no way legal advice, just my experiences.
    I had an expungment many years ago, I can buy guns and hold a "permit" in multiple states with no issues at all. I plead guilty but I have always answered NO to the question of arrests or convictions.
    In my case the expungment was a court order to all parties to destroy any records of arrest or conviction. Yes, I actually received a letter from the court telling me to destroy all records I have. To my understanding that was them telling me to not mention it again.
    All of that being said, I did run into issues about a year after the expungment.
    I was turned down for a couple government jobs I should've easily gotten so I checked into things, come to find out the department that arrested me did not destroy my record as the court ordered. I got the judge that ordered it involved and he was not at all happy, he quickly got everything straightened out and made sure everything was gone off my record. I still didn't get the jobs and I got nothing for my trouble but at least I was reasonably sure it wouldn't show up later.
    My advice is to find someone who can access your record (state, local and federal) and make sure everything is gone before you attempt to claim no arrests or convictions.
    Thank you I will make sure I stay on top of it.

(Blair County)

here is a short video that might help with the grammar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    here is a short video that might help with the grammar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
    👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 thanks for the tip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345