Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Uber driver shoots passenger - was armed in violation of company policy

Apparently, got in altercation with a passenger who was choking him and he feared for his life. As noted in another thread, Uber does not allow employees or passengers to be armed. I would not be either without a firearm...

A Florida Uber driver has been reportedly suspended pending a police investigation after he broke the company’s anti-gun policy and shot a passenger who was allegedly choking him during an argument.

Clearwater police are investigating after the passenger in an Uber vehicle was allegedly shot Sunday night during an altercation with the driver, 74-year-old Steven Rayow. Passenger Marc Memel, 60, was shot in the foot and treated and released from a local hospital, a local NBC affiliate reported.

“There was a gentleman sitting in his car and there was like blood dripping out of the car so Read more...
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Default Re: Uber driver shoots passenger - was armed in violation of company policy

I'd sue if I were the uber driver. I'm not a sue type of person but, this is the only way to knock some sense into these liberal pos's.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Uber driver shoots passenger - was armed in violation of company policy

Well Uber did start in Kalfornia so there you are, I would think as a contractor who uses his or her own vehicle they really can go Fuck themselves. It's not their vehicle,it's also not their life on the line. End of the day it's not like the guy can't go get another transport job.

(Monroe County)

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

I used Uber quite a bit especially when working late in the winter, when I didn't feel like waiting for the bus in the cold.

It was a bit of a luxury, though, and I suspect I'll be more inclined to find alternative transportation next winter.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Are they employees or independent contractors?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Are they employees or independent contractors?
    I believe the are independent contractors they can choose when to work and if they wish to pick up a fare like any other cab. According to Uber they are according to Kalifornia they are not.

This was posted on June 17th 2015
    http://www.theverge.com/policy/2015/...mmission-rules

Uber may have a big problem with its business model in California. A commission there ruled this morning that an Uber driver is in fact a company employee — not a freelancer — which means that Uber could have to grant drivers benefits and cover other expenses, including gas, insurance, and repairs. Because Uber has been leaning on its drivers to cover those costs, it's been able to grow the number of cars it has on the road quite quickly. Should this ruling eventually apply more broadly, Uber may face far more significant issues with scaling than it has until now. That said, the ruling is likely to be good news for Uber's California drivers, who won't be hung out to dry should they run into trouble on the road.

CALIFORNIA UBER DRIVERS AREN'T ALL EMPLOYEES BECAUSE OF THIS RULING

As Uber notes in a statement, the ruling applies to only a single driver for now. So while the commission determined that the driver was an employee based on how Uber acts, it doesn't mean that all drivers are immediately bound as employees. However, it could indicate where other rulings will land in the future.

California's Labor Commission made the ruling, according to Reuters, with its commissioner saying that it found Uber to be "involved in every aspect of the operation," meaning that it's more than just an app handling logistics. The commission awarded a driver over $4,000 in expenses that they'd sued the company for. Uber plans to appeal the reward, according to the report. The company has long maintained that its drivers are independent contractors, though there's been an ongoing dispute about their status. It's likely that this is not the final word in California — the issue is also supposed to be presented in front of juries — but the result in one of the largest and most tech-heavy states is going to be of critical importance to Uber.

(Westmoreland County)

Guess that was better than shooting yourself in the foot. Come to think of it, is this guy related to Plaxico Burress???
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

fuck that, my car, my rules. Want a ride? Hey before we start, I am armed see? so no monkey business.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Apparently, got in altercation with a passenger who was choking him and he feared for his life. As noted in another thread, Uber does not allow employees or passengers to be armed. I would not be either without a firearm...
    I wonder if Uber has a policy that prohibits passengers from choking drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast