Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OC experience worth noting

For a while I OCed my HK P7, or a Makarov. Both are compact pistols. I rarely get any looks, let alone comments. Nobody seems to notice.

Today I OCed my S&W 41 magnum model 58, and got A TON of looks, double and even triple takes, and an older gentleman even asked nicely if I have a 'permit', and when I answered in the affirmative, a smiled and nodded approvingly. (It really wasn't the time or place to stop and educate).

While I'm sure it's not a big surprise to find out that a big gun gets more attention then a small gun, I was just surprised HOW much a difference it makes.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: OC experience worth noting

You would be surprised how much people DON'T see. If it is on your hip, black, and about the size of a cell phone, the subconscious mind assumes it's a cell phone. It doesn't matter if it is a cell phone or the grip of your pistol. It looks like what the brain expects to see as a cell phone, and the brain moves on to processing the next piece of input. BOOBIES!!!!!!!!!!

When you carry a large pistol, it no longer fits what the brain expects to see, so people do a double take. This is when they REALLY see what is on your hip.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Bucks County)

When I first started OCing it was my Beretta M9. No one really noticed since it was black and in a black holster. When I stepped up to my stainless 1911 with colored grips, folks noticed a little more.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    You would be surprised how much people DON'T see. If it is on your hip, black, and about the size of a cell phone, the subconscious mind assumes it's a cell phone. It doesn't matter if it is a cell phone or the grip of your pistol. It looks like what the brain expects to see as a cell phone, and the brain moves on to processing the next piece of input. BOOBIES!!!!!!!!!!

When you carry a large pistol, it no longer fits what the brain expects to see, so people do a double take. This is when they REALLY see what is on your hip.
    I think that's spot on. My Mak is about the same size as a big smart phone.

Just had another positive encounter today: was at WaWA filling up the car. A pick up with a trailer carrying lawn cutting equipment was off to the side. Windows were open, about 4 guys inside. I hear a voice behind me: 'What caliber is that?' I turn, and the driver asks, 'Is that a 44 or 357?' I say, 'It's a 41'. They were all surprised and confused, and I explained that it's an old and now rare cartridge, and the gun is a 1970s model. The driver gave a thumbs up and said 'Open carry, I like that'. I said thanks and they drove off.

Excellent encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    You would be surprised how much people DON'T see.
    Absolutely. Most of society has zero situational awareness. I actually look for other carriers but I bet all of us notice carriers when we're around them, but most people who aren't carriers won't.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    When I first started OCing it was my Beretta M9. No one really noticed since it was black and in a black holster. When I stepped up to my stainless 1911 with colored grips, folks noticed a little more.
    Similar experience here...carried a black Walther for a while and no one ever noticed. Now I have a silver-colored Bersa and I had one old lady freak out and run away. (true story)

I should carry my full-size and see what happens.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    While I'm sure it's not a big surprise to find out that a big gun gets more attention then a small gun, I was just surprised HOW much a difference it makes.
    Same thing with penises.

(Northampton County)

People notice when I wear a brown holster or a white shirt/light shorts. Black gun and holster on jeans and dark shirt is not noticed.

(Bucks County)

Sunday at Five Guys, some lady walks up to my table and says, "I like your shirt." I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms". Then she goes on to tell me she and her husband both carry and invites me to join PA4SP. Nice lady. I doubt she saw the .38 on my hip. It's small and it was under the shirt.

(Philadelphia County)

Big difference between when I OC my M&P 9c and my 6" stainless GP100 lol. Larger, shinier guns just catch people's eyes easier haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Sunday at Five Guys, some lady walks up to my table and says, "I like your shirt." I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms". Then she goes on to tell me she and her husband both carry and invites me to join PA4SP. Nice lady. I doubt she saw the .38 on my hip. It's small and it was under the shirt.
    If her and her husband both carry, she probably knew you had it...it just didn't bother her so she didn't mention it.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast