Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Charles Daly 1911's

Anyone have any experience with them? I saw one used at the gun store for $325?? I know they are imported by KBI. I have a CD Auto shotgun and really like it.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Charles Daly 1911's

I don't have any information on them but I checked out their website. Interestingly enough, their Service branch is right down the road from where I work. The Sales office is also located right here in Harrisburg. I know there used to be an arms importer in the Harrisburg area. I think KBI that you mentioned may be it.

Dave G.

(Lancaster County)

I have a Charles Daly 1911 and love it. I bought it used from Encks Gun Barn for around $300 about two years ago. I have had no problems with this gun other then having to replace the extractor soon after purchasing it because it would not extract brass casings. I have put about 2000 rounds through it and have no problems what so ever.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../CD1911-A1.jpg

One of the nicest things about the 1911, not the 1911 look alike (many think a Glock or a browning high power or CZ is a 1911) is that they generally are all the same, mind you finish and how "tight" the gun is or what you might look at as "Quality" is different.

Of all the 1911 I have seen out there, the CD is the one that seems to start off low and go lower with time. Not to say it is not a respectable gun, but just that it is a name tagged on to that other gun. IE: Charles Daily does not “make” any 1911; they purchase from others and place their name on the gun.
    Many have done this, and in reality many 1911 out there originally outsourced guns, you can find them in many brands. Are some brands more valuable then others? Yes, but probably more because of the name then anything else. IE: If you could find a “Singer” 1911 out there, you might jump at the occasion if its under $5k, where as your CD will never cost that much even with all sorts of doodads attached to it.

When people say “COLT” is the real 1911.. they are somewhat off the mark, as many companies have the right to make the 1911.

Like in any thing, you could get a lemon. The things most people look at are: Is the lockup good, is the slide tight, is the trigger crisp.

You could get a good CD or a bad Caspian… Believe me; I have seen bad Caspian’s out there, generally caused by some one tinkering inside trying to make it “better” and making a big problem of it.

You will often see the Norinco out there as part of the 1911 scene, I have never seen one personally in the stores, they are not legal to import, but there where some here before the ban on “foreign” guns. (Thanks Mr Clinton!) I see them often at a Canadian dealer I visit online. People who own these rave about them. They all say good shooter, mind you not high in value.

Springfield makes a nice entry level 1911 as well. But where do gun shops get off saying “entry level” isn’t the 1911 a model? Change the model you go into “Style” so one could say the Browning or CZ is a 1911 style gun. CD like Springfield is low priced because it is a 1911. To change any thing to it, make a larger throat, change the trigger, change the sights, change anything on it, removes it from the 1911 model and places it in the1911 “Style” At least this is how I think of it. You see 1911 .22 .32 .9mm, 38 super, 40 cal… and suddenly think Hmm no longer a 1911, but it is as long as it keeps the “specs” of the original 1911 model. This is known as “Mil Specs” meaning it is within the tolerances outlined by the 1911 original models.
    The Field grade you are probably looking at is generally within Mil Specs and therefore the price is right. Field grade is an other thing people misunderstand, all older guns where Field spec. This simply means they where guns to be used out of a holster or on the battlefield. Not target guns like some of the newer 1911 models out there. Caspian and STI and company included.

I will agree that some 1911 will outlast others, but you will find in the 1911 many interchangeable parts that will make the gun last longer, maybe not add to its value, but at least last longer.

Mind you this is my opinion, may not be a popular opinion, but for the average guy who wants a good 1911, the Springer or the CD are very nice guns to own. Now if you want to go to competition, look at the higher end 1911, as customizing a 1911 will probably cost you the same as buying one at that level.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Clarion County)

CD's 1911's are made by armscor and imported under the CD name by KBI of harrisburg.
    Their customer service (KBI not Armscor)is legendary for sucking.
    I have about 10k rounds through my CD 1911 now so I have gotten my moneys worth. However It required better mags,extractor and reworking the feed ramp to get it to work properly.
    The ejector broke at about 5k rounds.
    The stainless finish on mine is not nearly as nice as any other stainless gun.
    I would never buy another stainless CD but I would buy a blued one.

COmpared to my Springfield the CD is kind of loose and floppy but shoots well.

I suggest you check out the new Taurus 1911 before making a decision. I may trade one of my 1911's in on the taurus because they look fantastic for the money. Around 500 for a black one. they have all the goodies the daly has and more.
    Also Taurus customer service is rumored to be very good.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Perry County)

I spoke with a guy in Sales at KBI on Friday re: trying to get ahold on a Field ECS (3") or EMS (4"). He's calling some local retailers to hopefully track one down for me.

Dave G.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    I spoke with a guy in Sales at KBI on Friday re: trying to get ahold on a Field ECS (3") or EMS (4"). He's calling some local retailers to hopefully track one down for me.

Dave G.
    I got mine at Sportsmans supply. Jerry's usually has them and they are largest wholesaler on this side of the country so anyone can get them.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Dauphin County)

KBI's gunsmith has a shop in Palmyra and has a number of Daly 45s for good prices. He only has evening and weekend hours.

That is where I would go if I wanted one. His name is Jim Heverling and is on Old Schoolhouse Road off 322 just ouside Hershey.

Great guy to talk to and he goes over all of the guns he sells. Last time I was there he had all three sizes of the 1911-style pistols. He also has other interesting pistols and long guns.
    In Theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

In Practice, there is.

(Dauphin County)

Interesting sidenote story. My aka is Luckyned so this could ONLY happen to me but I've stayed pissed at CharlesDaily..I should have written down the rep for CD when I saw on the OLN channel as the female said, "We will stand behind every sale!" but by then I had given up and decided to take it on the chin as a lesson learned.

Here's my sad tale: I bought a 28guage double from a shop called Reeser's thru a friend that worked there part time..$300.oo. It turned out to be the peerdyist(meanspelling) I've ever seen..still. I've looked at 1300.oo Citori's that didn't have near the engraving(IMHO) I fell in love with it..nevermind the price tag. Latter, I realized that no-way should it have been 300.oo NEW but forgive my innocents. I found that it had some firing problems..no biggy..prlly too much grease or sompin..talked to my local shop..found it had a lifetime warranty thru KBI..right down the street in Linglestown. Took it down, registered it in with KBI.

Long story short- KBI would not repair due to "unauthorized repairs". I said,"Bought new from CD dealer..here's my reciept"
    KBI said," Take back where you bought"
    I: Can't he's in Irag
    KBI: Wait
    I: BS!
    KBI: Tuff
    I: UpperChainof Command KBI
    KBI: Lower COC rules on this
    I: (red) Look, I bough as new(love this shotty..you fix..I'll pay extra)
    KBI: tuff
    Ned: Past by Reeser's gun shop after returned there for repairs for a year..drove by on the way home from camp..left note..on door..return broken shotty ASAP or return thru windows!"
    Final story end: Got shotty..still unrepaired..gave away for free!
    If I had to do over:
    Kept and made into pedistol lamp as a reminder of buying from **** begets ****.

PS: dare to sue me Reeser's or KBI. I still have all the paperwork. I'd love to open my own business where the customer counts!
    Last edited by luckyned7; February 21st, 2007 at 09:47 PM.

(Dauphin County)

I still fiqure Charles Daily owes me atleast a 300.oo firearm.

I told Jim Zumbo and he said he'd inquire <--just kidding
    Sorry Jim..I think everyone over-reacted but we are soo sensative nowadays.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast