Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Q. Firearms in State Parks - not another "can i cc here" thread.

Okay, I'm heading out to go camping this weekend in one of PA’s state parks. I am aware that you cannot carry my firearm while in a state park without avoiding trouble if caught. (I know people say it's only a summary offense, but I’m not looking to get stopped for someone seeing my firearm by accident)

I pulled this from the DCNR website:

Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. The park is used by other visitors during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment must be kept in the owner's car, trailer or camp.

I wanted my wife to be able to bring her Carry firearm and store it in her tent. (If we left the campsite it would get locked in the car as we wont leave a firearm in a canvas tent unattended)

My reasoning is a couple guys and myself will be leaving to go night fishing (which the females of my group aren’t a fan of), leaving my wife and my friends significant others alone at the camp.

I would feel better leaving my wife a way to protect herself and her friends if something happened, with something better than basic camping gear or firewood to throw at an attacker.

With the portion of the above regulation that I highlighted, in everyone's opinion, would I be breaking their "regulations" in having my wife's loaded carry firearm in my car or tent.

I did a search and read many threads, but most simply discussed carry in the park instelf, im only concerned with "can i have it at my campsite"

Thanks in advance for any replies!

~Garrick
    Last edited by Garrick_; July 23rd, 2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Changed Subject.

Default Re: Q. Firearms in State Parks - not another "can i cc here" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrick_ View Post
    owner's car, trailer or camp.
    I would think that since it is in the camp, then you would be OK. Err, your wife would be OK.

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Lycoming County)

I believe this to be within the regulations. That is the "rules" I have always operated under. There is not an all out prohibition of firearms in State Parks, there are allowances. However, I live close to Ricketts Glen, and visit there the most of all State PArks, I read the regulations as prohibiting the carrying of firearms if you are hiking, fishing and the sort. But at camp and in vehicles are a go.

Be safe (and compliant )

Scott

(Chester County)

Firstly IANAL.

I believe that 017 Pa Code 11.215 is the governing law for your question;
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/01...1/s11.215.html

Specifically 017PAC11.215(4) "Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner’s building on a leased campsite, in the owner’s residence, or in the owner’s vehicle or trailer"

I would assume that the building that is referred to would be your tent. (don't know what else would you could build on a 'campsite' and 'building' is not defined in 11.201)

My opinion - you are OK.

(Bucks County)

A ridiculously bad law. As are most gun control statutes.

(Allegheny County)

It always bugged me that the wording does not include "tent".

Not enough to leave my handgun at home though.

Per the rules, I do not carry while hiking/camping in a state park.
    I know that it is much more responsible to leave it unattended, in a locked vehicle. (Sarcasm)

As I read the rules, it's OK if it is kept in your vehicle, or in your tent/camper/cabin.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Firstly IANAL.

I believe that 017 Pa Code 11.215 is the governing law for your question;
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/01...1/s11.215.html

Specifically 017PAC11.215(4) "Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner’s building on a leased campsite, in the owner’s residence, or in the owner’s vehicle or trailer"

I would assume that the building that is referred to would be your tent. (don't know what else would you could build on a 'campsite' and 'building' is not defined in 11.201)

My opinion - you are OK.
    A cabin on a LEASED campsite. Not the same as a tent on a campsite you RENTED for the night. IANAL, but I think you're better off leaving it in your car, and have the wife have something else she can use to "buy the time" to get to the car.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    A cabin on a LEASED campsite. Not the same as a tent on a campsite you RENTED for the night. IANAL, but I think you're better off leaving it in your car, and have the wife have something else she can use to "buy the time" to get to the car.
    The leased campsite being referred to belongs to the state (hence chapter 11 - State Parks). The 'owner' refers to the person owning the firearm. It wouldn't make much sense for a person to build an actual cabin type structure on state land except, maybe, under a long term lease agreement. In that case the cabin would become a residence (treated in the code follow-on clause).

I can only conclude that the 'building' is a camper's temporary non-permanent structure (eg tent, lean-to, portable hutch, etc) erected temporarily on the state's campsite.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    It wouldn't make much sense for a person to build an actual cabin type structure on state land except, maybe, under a long term lease agreement. In that case the cabin would become a residence (treated in the code follow-on clause).
    There's plenty of them around here. I don't know of any in state parks, but plenty in state forest.

(Allegheny County)

well, for whatever it's worth, some guy recently posted an incident on glocktalk where he was confronted by two rangers for carrying in a state park, and they indicated it was OK to have it in your tent.

from: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...1#post10929421

This past weekend I was in a state park and carrying my G36. I was confronted by 2 DCNR officers who disarmed me(peacefully) and explained the rule to me. I thought that it was only in federal parks that you cannot carry. So they put my Glock in my car and told me it had to either be in the car or in the tent. They were pretty reasonable about it. It is good to hear that carry in state parks will be legal soon though.
    kinda suprises me. i would have interpreted the law to not include tents, but only permanent camps (real buildings) on a long-term leased lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast